Jellybean on my year old defy!

muneersn

Disciple
Just flashed jellybean android 4.1 on my year old defy. Its smooth and as good as a stable release ( yet to test fully) only glitch so far is that whatsapp doesn't seem to work.

EDIT: whatsapp working! Just a simple reboot was required.

EDIT 2: where's the search widget?? How do I install it. It's not available on play store either

dfb65ada-7ce4-9fed.jpg

Does this qualify for the show-off section? I thought only new products were meant to be shown off...

Actually I find such hacks more worthy of show than a new watch OR a pair of shoes. It proves that we have the 'Grey' in 'Grey Matters Here' and have not devolved to the level of rich-kids with fat wallets and a penchant for buying the latest and greatest out there.

Actually I find such hacks more worthy of show than a new watch OR a pair of shoes. it is showing that we have the 'Grey' in 'Grey Matters Here' and have not devolved to the level of rich-kids with fat wallets and a penchant for buying the latest and greatest out there.
Agree with your first part totally , something good done is always worthy of a showoff .
2nd part is upto the people really , their own wallets (or their parents :) ) how and on what would they like to spend it.

No offense guys, but if he had developed the ROM himself then it would be worthy of a showoff. This belongs in the Tech section or the Mobile section...

No offense guys, but if he had developed the ROM himself then it would be worthy of a showoff. This belongs in the Tech section or the Mobile section...

True on that count although for some people getting a PREMIUM EDITION of a game is an achievement and for some rooting their Android is an achievement, let us not get embroiled on this now. Pretty Please.

You just cannot cap things so. Let him show off if the MOD's OR you think it doesn't belong here, REPORT the same. Peace!

P.S. -- I do not know how difficult is rooting your device as I do not own an Android, so forgive me if I have exalted OP too much.

I think this qualifies as a show off. Heck, if not for my laziness I would have shown off Jelly Bean on my DHD too, which makes it all the more impressive in the face of HTC's "inability" to port ICS to this device.

Had JB on my green lens for some time now. Now updating with nightly almost every other day. What I am amazed is the popularity of Defy. SGS2 is still in queue where as Defy got JB much earlier.

I need to develop a ROM to be worthy of posting here?? That's quite a stretched argument to make.

True on that count although for some people getting a PREMIUM EDITION of a game is an achievement and for some rooting their Android is an achievement, let us not get embroiled on this now. Pretty Please.

You just cannot cap things so. Let him show off if the MOD's OR you think it doesn't belong here, REPORT the same. Peace!

P.S. -- I do not know how difficult is rooting your device as I do not own an Android, so forgive me if I have exalted OP too much.

I wasn't trying to "show off" per se. It's just that I found it interesting that an old phone like the Motorola could run jellybean so soon and quite well.

And yes, rooting an android is not that big a deal thanks to the excellent community support it has, but it sure does take some courage to do so due to the risk of bricking it. Last time I tried to flash a ROM and the battery drained out midway. Tried to run the phone using a USB hardware hack, ended up frying the board and the battery:eek:

All i'm saying is that we have a dedicated section where people who have modded their phones, etc have posted their thoughts/opinions etc. Why is this any different from any of those threads. All you did was load a ROM. I've done that several times last week along with i'm sure a whole bunch of people on this forum.

Technically, the section title reads "Show off your hardware gizmos"

I personally feel it could have posted in one of these threads...

http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/motorola-defy-thread-113513/
http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/android-mobile-phone-thread-69726/p40/

Not to take your spotlight or anything, but my 16 month old humble ZTE Blade has been running on Jelly Bean (CM10) for 2 weeks now. :)

Guys on Defy JB, can you tell me if Moto Phone Portal is working fine or not? I get a very weird URL that the browser cant resolve.

Yes, been running JB on my Galaxy S i9000 since the first alphas and now I'm on CM10. It's good but not as great as people make it out to be.

Before the question pops up... No, UI interactions are still not as smooth as iOS, even with "Project Butter".

Back