job after break

hi
i worked as a software engineer and resigned after my kids birth. I thought i couldn't manage both job and family and not interested in coming back to work.

but now after 7 yrs of break, i feel i am wasting my life and want to work again. Now i am in chennai and may be(may be only) moving out of india in 1 year.
What shall i do now? What kind of job will suit me. Can i get a job after 7 yrs break? I have 2 years experience in visual basic and 1 yr in .net. Sometimes i feel i can go to testing/database side.
If i go out of india, will testing have good scope? What courses can i attend here?

Though I can't claim to know the IT industry too well, I can tell you that true talent will always prevail, break or no break.

You might want to dabble in freelance assignments (plenty of scope on freelance aggregators such as freelancer.com). If you're more interested in a 9 to 5, maybe you want to start looking at HR/marketing positions at a junior management level. Those will require your skills in understanding the technical side, and less pressure than active development. That should leave you with some family time as well (I assume you're a mother which is why the 7 year break).

I can tell you that a lot of industries are prejudiced against ladies in general, specially those who require long hours and are heavily people-dependent. If you have previously left due to family needs there is a fair chance that you will do so again. For a lot of employers this is a liability, so you need to be careful in how you approach it. In the end, family is always the most important, so choose an employer who offers good work-life balance.

Good Luck.

Have you considered doing a PG, Msc/M.E./MTech either fulltime or parttime,

It will be a slow transition sure but it will be a more acceptable one, moreover it will open up teaching and research career opportunities.

Do some sort of course and get back into the game. Also, first go back to your old company and try there first as they may give you preference.

my sister in law did the same thing after 5 years , she did couple of crash courses and went and joined back , although it took a lot of time adjusting to the whole back to job scenario

you can do microsoft certifications in .net and vb or search for a senior software engineer or a project manager post.. there are so many offers you can get in chennai in DLF ... i work in chennai itself so give a try

Back