Jolla Sailfish OS Smartphone Coming 'Very Soon' to India via Snapdeal

8yck07.jpg

Jolla, a company formed by a group of former Nokia employees, is all set to foray into the Indian market with its first smartphone.
The company announced the news on Twitter, and said, "#Jolla smartphone coming to India very soon, exclusively on Snapdeal. Be the first to know", confirming that the smartphone will be exclusively available on Snapdeal.

The official Jolla site is now teasing the smartphone's India launch with the tagline, "Jolla sails to India," and is also letting interested consumers sign-up to be notified when the Jolla smartphone becomes available in India.

For those unaware, the highlight of the Jolla Smartphone is that it runs the Sailfish OS mobile operating system, which has been developed by a few former employees of Nokia, who had worked on the MeeGo operating system that was being developed in partnership with computer chip giant Intel.

In February, Jolla had announced that it would be expanding the availability of its smartphone to Hong King, India, and Russia this year. For now, the Jolla smartphones are available in Finland via local carrier DNA's shops. The smartphone is also available to European users via the firm's official stores for EUR 399 (approximately Rs. 34,000).

Jolla launched its Sailfish OS-powered smartphone in November last year, and it features a 4.5-inch Estrade (540x960 pixels) display, and a 1.4GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor coupled with 1GB of RAM. It also has an 8-megapixel autofocus rear camera alongside an LED flash and a 2-megapixel front-facing camera as well.

Other specifications of the Jolla smartphone included 16GB of inbuilt storage (expandable via microSD card), and a 2100mAh battery. It is compatible with roughly 85,000 Android apps, and supports fast 4G Internet connections.

Source

Its 350Euros in Europe. Literal conversion makes it around 28K. So, i guess it might come around 30k! If they do launch it at this price, it will be a premium product and will probably be brought by Ex-Nokia employees who still have "hots" for Meego/N9! Having said that, its a solid phone. My friend has got it "imported" from UK and looked pretty good! Hope they price it sensibly!

The only thing which put me off was the choice of icons - the Dialer, Message etc looks cheap (atleast for me).

jolla-white-rendering.jpg

I used to follow the development of this phone quite closely.Once the phone was launched at an exorbitant price with mediocre hardware, the interest somewhat diminished. The other half concept was good, but till now its remain a concept. No eye catching accessory utilizing this concept is available. No information is also available about the upgraded version - so future support is not convincing (to be fair, software upgrades have been released quite a few times). All in all, best bet for this phone would be to aim for low-mid tier. But with Xiaomi Mi3, even high end spec phones are now available with mid-range price.

Will this phone be able to survive the onslaught of Mi3, Moto G, Asus Zenphones in India? Serious doubts linger.

I request OP to kindly put up a poll regarding the expected price of this phone (from consumer POV).

I used to follow the development of this phone quite closely.Once the phone was launched at an exorbitant price with mediocre hardware, the interest somewhat diminished. The other half concept was good, but till now its remain a concept. No eye catching accessory utilizing this concept is available. No information is also available about the upgraded version - so future support is not convincing (to be fair, software upgrades have been released quite a few times). All in all, best bet for this phone would be to aim for low-mid tier. But with Xiaomi Mi3, even high end spec phones are now available with mid-range price.

Will this phone be able to survive the onslaught of Mi3, Moto G, Asus Zenphones in India? Serious doubts linger.

I request OP to kindly put up a poll regarding the expected price of this phone (from consumer POV).

Chances are much less for unpolished OS to survive with Android / iOS

Back