PC Peripherals Just how good is the TVS gold mechanical keyboard?

unixguru

Disciple
I recently got a SteelSeries Merc keyboard. The dedicated gaming keys are pretty awesome but the keyboard is really not suited for any typing work, or for games which need a lot keys like Bioshock 2. So I was thinking of getting a new keyboard and push off my Merc. After searching the usual tech sites and TE, I was extremely surprised to find a huge flurry of mechanical keyboard launches, and almost all the reviews end pretty much by saying mechanical keyboards are way superior. So I have decided to see what all the fuss is.

I have a max budget of 4k but that is only if it is really worth it. The only models within this range are the Razer blackwidow expert and the TVS gold and a HP keyboard. I can get the blackwidow for 3740 and the TVS gold for 1333, the Hp one for 680. So the blackwidow is nearly 3 times the price of the TVS gold and apparently the use the same Cherry MX blue switches. I know that there a lot of threads regarding these keyboards, but could some one who has used both keyboard give their feedback as to how good the TVS gold is compared to the Razer blackwidow is? With the recent onslaught of mechanical keyboards, having a definitive comparison between these models could help a lot of buyers who might otherwise dismiss the TVS gold as cheap option and directly go for the other models simply because the TVS gold is "Indian", and hence not good.

I haven't used the black widow, but I did use the TVS Gold and it is a pretty sturdy keyboard. Mine is around 14 years old now and it still works flawlessly the last time I used it. These are the kind of keyboards where the interface connector standard would become obsolete (Mine has an AT Connector along with a PS/2 converter) and the letters on the keys wear off before a key even begins to give a problem. Gaming is great on this keyboard and its even more great for typing. Still not everyone likes the tactile feedback or the sound that mechanical keyboards make, so you better try to get a demo before you take the plunge.

Personally The only Black Window I would go for is the Black Widow Ultimate and because it has the much needed back-lighting. The regular model is not worth the price in my opinion. If you are keen on all the jargon wizardry that Razer usually throws around or the additional macro keys and options, you might want to consider the regular Black Window, but otherwise, TVS Gold is a steal for its price.

I am also currently on a Merc Stealth and I plan to place it soon as a few keys have started failing. Back lighting is essential for me, so I am considering the Logitech G110, G510 and the Black Window Ultimate myself. I am keen on the Black Widow mainly because it combines Mechanical keys and back lighting. Its insane price is a major damper, but it might still justify it with longevity owing to being mechanical.

asingh said:
^^

Is the TVS board available with a USB connector..?

Yes, TVS Gold has been updated with new interface standards as and when they came along. The current models in the market comes with USB connector. Price has remained constant over all these years. When I got mine 14 years back, it used to cost 1.4k and I got mine for 1.2k after 200 bucks discount. Even now it costs roughly the same.

As far as I can make out from forum discussions across net the clink clanks of mechanical keyboards are different.

Razer seems to be less pronounced than TVS.

Lord Nemesis may clarify this as experienced with both.

Hummm I'm missing my Filco Majestouch 104 :( I'm on the same boat, cant decide between TVS Gold or HP Mechanical Keyboard.

Any idea what switches are being used on the HP Mechanical Keyboard?

Kuantum said:
As far as I can make out from forum discussions across net the clink clanks of mechanical keyboards are different.

Razer seems to be less pronounced than TVS.

Lord Nemesis may clarify this as experienced with both.

As I mentioned before, I haven't used the Blackwidow, only the TVS Gold, but yes, the feel and feedback of mechanical keyboards is completely different from the membrane boards. Not everyone may like it. It might even be a negative if sound from the keyboard during gaming or during night time is a problem for you or others in your house. Blackwidow does have a stealth variant that supposedly reduces the noise, but again, I haven't used it, so I don't know how quiet it will be.

I got the HP one after going through this post and the entire thread itself, and i am loving it. The noise is actually not too apparent if you press the keys slightly and not the whole way down. Feedback is excellent and the keyboard itself feels very sturdy. Only gripe for me would be the closely spaced keys which take some time getting used to. I haven't used the TVS but its keys seemed quite spaced-out.

I have also posted a thread regarding the query

I liked the TVS Gold keyboard, but don't know if it has Anti Ghosting of any sort?

P.S.:Anti Ghosting:It means that the KB doesn't get stuck when you press more than one keys at the same time, it is a major factor in online gaming

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

eternoMod: If is it possible can you please check your HP KB in a game which uses WASD controls, that when pressing more than one keys[either W, A, S or D] together does it accept both or one only?

eternoMind said:
I got the HP one after going through this post and the entire thread itself, and i am loving it. The noise is actually not too apparent if you press the keys slightly and not the whole way down. Feedback is excellent and the keyboard itself feels very sturdy. Only gripe for me would be the closely spaced keys which take some time getting used to. I haven't used the TVS but its keys seemed quite spaced-out.

Can you check what kind of keys does it have? (Cherry, Alps?) Just glance below on of the keys and tell us what colour you see

SunnyBoi said:
Can you check what kind of keys does it have? (Cherry, Alps?) Just glance below on of the keys and tell us what colour you see

Took out one to check and its black with the name "CHERRY" on top.

allrounder799 said:
eternoMod: If is it possible can you please check your HP KB in a game which uses WASD controls, that when pressing more than one keys[either W, A, S or D] together does it accept both or one only?

Sorry to disappoint but am not much of a gamer, so can't really try it out. However, i can source a game from a friend so can you tell me which popular game uses those keys (i am guessing racing ones).

The HP keyboard has cherry black

switches?! This is the same switches used in steel series 7g which is priced at 150$. The only disadvantage is the 70g actuating force which can be tiring for long typing sessions. I will decide between HP and TVS.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

@eternomind:very helpful of you to go to such extent

If you can get any FPS[Call of Duty, Sudden Attack etc] will be helpful, because it will save me 1500 bucks that I may spend on Sidewinder X4

But if its not possible don't go for legs and arms length to make it work, your help is anyways appriciated

allrounder799 said:
@eternomind:very helpful of you to go to such extent

If you can get any FPS[Call of Duty, Sudden Attack etc] will be helpful, because it will save me 1500 bucks that I may spend on Sidewinder X4

But if its not possible don't go for legs and arms length to make it work, your help is anyways appriciated

No issues... a friend does have those games, will source from him or rather try my KB there. Either way, will let you know tonight.

I just checked online and the wholesale rate seem to be slightly over 50 USD 104 switches. How in hell are HP and TVS offering the keyboards at this unbelievable price?

Back