Just How Secure Is Firefox ?

The following quote is from an artical at Technewsworld

Of course, Firefox has gained steam simply because it is an alternative to Internet Explorer. It also helps that there are consumers who perceive Firefox as a more secure browser. Since Firefox doesn't use ActiveX, Microsoft's technology that allows programs to be downloaded to a computer without the user's knowledge, the browser is said to be less vulnerable to attacks.

However, in its latest Internet Security Threat Report, security software firm Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) reported that more Mozilla vulnerabilities were documented in the second half of 2004 than those affecting Internet Explorer. Symantec says it documented 13 vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft Internet Explorer and 21 vulnerabilities affecting each of the Mozilla browsers. Symantec adds that Internet Explorer has a greater proportion of high-severity vulnerabilities.

Regardless of how secure the software actually is, Firefox's smaller market share is actually a security advantage. Since Internet Explorer maintains nearly 90 percent of the market share, it is the favored target for viruses and spyware.

But it may not be long before Firefox reaches that status. Traffic to the Mozilla Foundation has increased dramatically and, according to Mozilla, has been downloaded 44 million times since November.

I am not trying to bad mouth any browser here nor am I trying to say that one browser is better than any other.
What I am trying to point out is that NO browser is safe from attacks, and what ever browser you are using you should be also using a good Antispyware and a Antivirus/trojan program along with it. And a firewall also.

Of course nothing is 100% safe.
Its just that its safer.
And the bugs in mozilla are comparatively harmless than those found with IE.

The ultimate protection system without hogging too much system resources will be use FF along with M$ antispyware( has the best detection and removal capabilities as of now) + Kaspersky/Avast.
These AV are not too hard on your system unlike symantec Norton AV which really makes your A64 feel like P2.

I completely agree with the article...
security vulnerabilities discovered/found is directly proportional to the popularity of browser. Its no point blaming microsoft or IE. Its their popularity thats to be blamed. If firefox controls 90% market share, I'm sure we'll start finding more severe vulnerabilities and more security attacks in firefox as well.

Footnote: I use Firefox. :p

Quickfire said:
security vulnerabilities discovered/found is directly proportional to the popularity of browser. Its no point blaming microsoft or IE. Its their popularity thats to be blamed. If firefox controls 90% market share, I'm sure we'll start finding more severe vulnerabilities and more security attacks in firefox as well.

Yup...completly true.

QuickFire said:
I completely agree with the article...

Footnote: I use Firefox. :p

were it not for Firefox, then Microsoft wouldn't have released IE 7 prior to Longhorn release. Due to Firefox's popularity, we'll get to see a lot of improvements by Microsoft in it's new IE 7.

Competition is good for improvements and innovation.

Popularity does make a lot of difference. Ya, if Firefox had 90% market share, we could happen to see more vulnerabilities discovered in Firefox, but considering the things as they are, Firefox is still far better than IE 6.

Well at least Firefox is faster for me, IE -
1. Opens up slow
2. Detects web sites slow
3. Load 'em slow

Firefox is really qucik that way, and still whenever i go onto the internet with a clean IE it doesn't take much time for it to get infected with a " A spyware free toolbar from advertisespam.inc "
Firefox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Internet Explorer

If somebody still hates firfoex and uses IE then they should try Avant or Netscape but definitely not IE :mad:

Yes of course the choice of a browser will go only so much in determining internet security. The choice of the OS is more important, and employing a bit of common sense and patience is simply the most important.

And this is one reason why I prefer to use relatively unknown software on my PC ... not much of what I use is any big name.

Back