Just registered a .in domain, where to host?

halo_3

Disciple
I just registered a .in domain for 170 bucks but the hosting they offered was quite expensive at 375 Rs/month. Since this is only going to a personal hobby with about 10-15 web pages (ASP and vanilla HTML, no fancy stuff) for a short time (only 3-4 months), I don't want some ultra expensive host that charges for unlimited web pages. There are so many well known companies that I am pretty confused. Godaddy seems to have the best contract at $4.99/month for 3 months. Others are pretty expensive at $5-6 or Rs. 300-400 per month. Can anyone recommend a host that is cheap (less than 250 per month) and has a very high uptime (as the site is expected to have about 100-200 hits/day at different times). Some well known companies like hostgator and hostmonster seem to have lots of complaints online? Is there a trouble free host?

Please help guys.. I need to get this up and running before Monday.

P.S.: Dumb question but can I use any .in domain on a regular host like it goes with .com and .net domains? Besides the usual DNS change, I don't have to do anything right?

search for free hosting sites.. you can host for free. Try x10hosting.com , it free and no ad-ware on your site... just select the package with no ad-ware while registering. but you 'll have to login into x10hosting forum in atleast 15 days, otherwise your account 'll be locked. its pretty good for light pages. this site supposed to have 99.9 % uptime.

some other free hosting site are - hosthelpers.com, Freehostia.com

Edit: answer for your last question - AFAIK it doesn't matter if it is .net or .com or whatever, ultimately you will be putting the nameserver (of hosting site) into your domain account page. Though I have hosted only .com sites for learning purpose.

halo_3 said:
I just registered a .in domain for 170 bucks but the hosting they offered was quite expensive at 375 Rs/month. Since this is only going to a personal hobby with about 10-15 web pages (ASP and vanilla HTML, no fancy stuff) for a short time (only 3-4 months), I don't want some ultra expensive host that charges for unlimited web pages. There are so many well known companies that I am pretty confused. Godaddy seems to have the best contract at $4.99/month for 3 months. Others are pretty expensive at $5-6 or Rs. 300-400 per month. Can anyone recommend a host that is cheap (less than 250 per month) and has a very high uptime (as the site is expected to have about 100-200 hits/day at different times). Some well known companies like hostgator and hostmonster seem to have lots of complaints online? Is there a trouble free host?

Please help guys.. I need to get this up and running before Monday.

P.S.: Dumb question but can I use any .in domain on a regular host like it goes with .com and .net domains? Besides the usual DNS change, I don't have to do anything right?

Did you by any chance register the domain at Register .IN and .Co.In Domains at Indian Domain Name Registrar - Mitsu.in- Accredited .IN Domain Registrar - India ?
And do update the thread after you've selected a suitable host.

TIA.

yahoo has a good hosting service.. I think they offer for Rs1999 for a year. and very reliable
best part is , their servers are based in India, if ur target visitors are from India, will be faster due to better pings

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not very interested in free hosting providers since their uptime generally sucks. The only free host that I could ever recommend was MSFT Office Live. Alas, their free hosting scheme w/ a TLD domain stopped a while ago.

Anyways, checking out the options:

a. Bizzhost is looking awesome. I can't believe they offer so many services for 250 rupees/year! I will need to read some reviews before going with them.

b. SGDnetworks is also pretty nice but they don't seem to be as popular as Bizzhost. Plus, they are a little more expensive but still very very cheap overall compared to international hosting providers.

c. ewebguru, whost and the likes are nice but slightly out of my budget.

d. Y! hosting is very expensive for what I need. I used to host my personal website with Y! back in 2007 but then moved to MSFT free hosting.

As I mentioned earlier, this web site is actually a demo run for our start-up. Once we get the go ahead from the VC, we shall be moving to a much bigger social platform rather than use a tiny website.

thetoxicmind said:

As a matter of fact, I did. Do I get a discount? :D

Anyways, I'll most likely go ahead with bizzhost unless someone can figure out the fishy part of their offer.

halo_3 said:
As a matter of fact, I did. Do I get a discount? :D

Anyways, I'll most likely go ahead with bizzhost unless someone can figure out the fishy part of their offer.

Huh? I was just wondering where you registered the domain for 170 bucks, so confirmed the same.

And I think 110mb.com offers a better deal compared to Bizzhost atleast if you don't require too many features.

thetoxicmind said:
Huh? I was just wondering where you registered the domain for 170 bucks, so confirmed the same.

I thought maybe you were the owner of Mitsu so I would get an extra "TE" discount or something. :bleh:

And I think 110mb.com offers a better deal compared to Bizzhost atleast if you don't require too many features.

Does 110mb host a TLD? I think what they offer to host is a sub-domain, something like abc.110mb.com.

halo_3 said:
Yes, all you need is change nameserver address of the domain name.

halo_3 said:
Does 110mb host a TLD? I think what they offer to host is a sub-domain, something like abc.110mb.com.

Yes, you can host TLD/gTLD domains at 110MB.com but with some restrictions. Their upgrade plan (which is actually paid) do have all features. Their plans http://www.110mb.com/plans.php

If you have any query related to whost.in hosting, you can PM me.

halo_3 said:
I thought maybe you were the owner of Mitsu so I would get an extra "TE" discount or something.

Owner, year right ! :p

And yes, you can host your own domain.
Just enter 110mb.com's nameserver into your domain cpanel.

Back