CPU/Mobo Kernel-Power 41 + Problems detected during Memory Diagnostic

unonymouz

Disciple
I had purchased a PC about 6 months back from Prime ABGB at Lamington Road after some consultation here at Techenclave.

Core i7 860
MSI-P55-GD80 (bios updated today to version 1.90)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
Corsair Dual Channel 2x2Gb 1333 Mhz
Corsair VX450 watts
CoolerMaster 690
CoolerMaster N520 Cooler
Seagate 500GB 7200.12

My PC shows a blue screen unexpectedly. Sometimes while playing a game, and sometimes while just sitting idle. While rendering in mental ray, it does not crash.

The error is Kernel-Power. (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)

I used to have zipped files. Around 100 GB of data. So, each of these files were on an average, around 6GB. Whenever I would unzip these files, I would get a CRC error. I got a error on all of them. I deleted some of these files. After finding out a faulty Ram module via the Windows Memory Diagnostic, I removed the chip, and used Windows as usual. I happened to unzip one of those huge archives again, and surprisingly it unzipped like a charm. I reinstalled windows 7, ran the test again, and it showed the problem with the same memory chip.

I went back to Prime and gave it for RMA, and got a temporary Gskill single channel DDR3 ram. Just an hour ago, my PC gave me the blue screen again, and when tested with the Memory Diagnostic tool, I got the same problem.

I have even updated my BIOS. I'm going to do a complete format of my PC and install the latest drivers. Can anybody guide me? The Gskill ram was brand new. I dont know what to tell at Prime now. Is my new computer eating up my ram??? I even have an APC UPS installed. Please help me.

I am going to take my entire PC back to Prime ABGB on Monday for them to check it out. I have exhausted all other means. The Bluescreens are unpredictable and erratic, and hopefully, they will be able to solve that problem.

Can anybody suggest anything? I would really appreciate it if somebody told me what to expect at Prime ABGB tomorrow. I am kind of tensed about the who situation as this PC is only 6 months old. What kind of response can I expect from Prime ABGB? There have to be people who have taken back computers back to Prime. Can you please speak up?

Have you tried adjusting the RAM voltage? Maybe it's too low.
What about your temps? How hot does your comp get?

Is the Gskill RAM in the same socket as the the other stick that failed? If so, there could be a problem with your mainboard.

My BIOS settings are all at default. Do I really need to tweak the heck out of my BIOS before I can start to expect a decent stable system after spending so much? I have never overclocked this. My CPU stays at 40 and motherboard at 40 on full load. Gskill worked perfectly before giving errors. Suddenly those errors went away. Suddenly they appeared again one day. There's no pattern. My previous RAM did the same thing. Errors today, No errors tomorrow, then BAAM, errors after a few more days, then Bluescreen. I'm really disappointed with PrimeABGB. I have never spent so much money on a computer, and I expected a rock solid system. I hope they solve this soon.

P.S. - Yes, I did increase my memory command rate to 2T, and bumped up the voltage to 1.575. Nothing happens. Why cant these things run at default values??? Is there a magical setting for each PC?

My PC has been at Prime for 10 days now, and they have not found any errors, with Prime95, and Windows Memory Diagnostic. But I was getting errors at home. My RAM hasn't come back from RMA. They said it should come back from Bangalore in a week. It has been more than 2 weeks now. If somebody comes here asking how to spend money, you guys will definitely reply, but I don't know why nobody has even bothered to help me, and I have been quiet patient, waiting for a reply.

A very basic question, are there any earthing issues at your place? I use to loose a lot of memory years back, seems like the wall socket had a faulty earthing contact.

In addition try a different PSU, or you might be just pure unlucky for getting two consecutive dud pieces of RAM.

I have checked the earthing. Its all good. Plus I have an APC UPS, and a spikebuster. Currently the mobo is being checked with a different PSU at prime.

Kernel-Power 41 + Problems detected during Memory Diagnostic

@op, you the same guy? ban msi forums too, since your problems are not solved.

then problem could be with mobo, since its the only thing which was not replaced till now i guess. rma that mobo and sell it. buy another company's mobo - like gigabyte or asus. asus as last resort since rptech handles their rma i think.

edit: can you put up the mini dump files that windows generates while crashing? those files point out faulty drivers, or software/ hardware that lead to crashes.

The .dmp file is usually located in root of OS drive.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/29860.aspx

That url is just for help. If you feel you have enough knowledge you can troubleshoot on your own or leave it to us if you wish.

edit2: you need to have atleast 2-4gb page file to create dump files in windows.

You don't have PC anymore to do first-hand testing, but when you do try following steps.

1) First and foremost set your pagefile to proper size. Since you have 4GB ram, set your minimum pagefile size to 4096 and max size to 6144 (4096 x 1.5).

2) For memory diagnostics use UBCD : Ultimate Boot CD - Overview. Run memory test at least for 12 hours.

3) Similarly you can run HDD tests to determine if the HDD has problems as well as the SATA cable. Problematic SATA cable can cause serious error since pagefile writing or reading system driver files, which can result in BSOD.

Also, collect the mini-dump files so someone can diagnose those file.

^ Ditto here....

If what Fah33m said there is true (and knowing him I wouldn't doubt him) then I am sorry, that last post of mine is the only help that you'll get from me. Someone who enjoys others' misery deserves to experience the same.

Back