Kindle 3 in India

Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy the Kindle 3, but wanted to know if it makes any sense to buy the 3G version if I'll be using it in India? Also, any cons if I buy the reader from US and use it in India?

TIA,
-DK

No problems in using it in India. Amazon themselves ship directly to India, so that shouldn't be a concern. However, IMO, the 3G version is not worth it, primarily because of the low possibility of having to download a book while on the go outside home. WiFi is a reasonably good option considering the lesser usage of the network overall, and also the slowly increasing footprint of free WiFi like at some CCDs, office buildings etc.

In India Amazon is already charging $2 surcharge on every eBook bought to cover the 3G/EDGE cost, irrespective of whether you are using the WiFi or the 3G Kindle. If you see yourself as suddenly wanting to buy an eBook when WiFi is not available, go for the 3G version. The Browser can be used for very basic stuff like searching WiKi, etc.

Got my Kindle delivered to me yesterday. I must say I am impressed with the e-ink technology.. the print looks very natural, almost close to paper! Have been reading for the whole day and unlike reading on a laptop, my eyes are not strained.

Back