Kindle books

Just install Calibre. You can convert any DRM-free book into Kindle format as long as it is not a PDF. With PDF's, results are not that good no matter which format you convert it to.

After conversion, where should I put the ebook so kindle can recognize it?

I have calibre and I use to convert pdf to epub format..

swordfish said:

kindle will need mobi. so use that to convert or else simply send to kindle from calibre menu. that will ensure that the book is converted n sent

Unfortunately, Amazon is the cheapest source to buy ebooks from, which is, yeah, kinda expensive for us, as we are used to reading 200-500 rupees books. Amazon, always, bring down the prices of the ebooks to less than the competirors. Other sources are:
ebooks.com etc.

But, what I do is thet I keep an eye on mobileread.com Kindle forums. There is a sticky thread that mentions all the free books or bargain books everyday. I get the books that interest me from there. But, yeah, if you want a specific book that you want for a cheaper price, then I guess, Amazon is your best option.

swordfish said:

You don't have to put it anywhere. Just connect your Kindle when Calibre is running and click on the "Send to Device" button. It will do the rest.

bitsandpieces said:
it does allow viewing pdf, but there is no reflow. Plus you cant change text size etc etc.
Not getting an e-reader until they do pdf flawlessly and in colour.

Talk about the most comomn format out there for documents !!

blr_p said:
Not getting an e-reader until they do pdf flawlessly and in colour.

Talk about the most comomn format out there for documents !!
Well, I hope some company focuses on pdf segment, but I dont think there is any at the moment.

With most of journals and stuff Kindle DX should be fine. The issue with pdf happens to be with the screen size. Pdf are mostly designed on A4 pagesize and for that a Kindle DX is perfect. With Kindle, due to paper back size, the page is resized and the fonts appear very small.

I think it's more of a fault of the PDF format itself rather than the eBook readers that PDF sucks on them. PDF is meant to be unchangeable. I wish they published journal articles in some other format.

baccilus said:
I think it's more of a fault of the PDF format itself rather than the eBook readers that PDF sucks on them. PDF is meant to be unchangeable. I wish they published journal articles in some other format.
yeah, it was meant for a differnt use. And therefore I don't think we can be optimistic about better pdf support on a a dedicated bookreader. Maybe a tablet ?

Sorry for OT...I was very interested in getting Kindle...but I have ebooks in PDF format only...and that to color...guess I have to look for an alternative now...

Konquerror said:
Sorry for OT...I was very interested in getting Kindle...but I have ebooks in PDF format only...and that to color...guess I have to look for an alternative now...
Yes, you should really look at the 10" tablets, especially with innovative screens like the Adam. If you want to view PDF's, don't go for anything with less than 10" screen.

Back