Kindle : New or Second Hand

shruti1

Recruit
Hi, I want to buy a kindle but I am not sure if I should go for a second hand one or buy a new one. ( paperwhite model). Anyone who has advice regarding the same? Thanks

Kindle is dying product. If you want to buy one, get the paperwhite 5. Has better resolution and more LEDd that give uniform night light. Also, it has type C port.

I would suggest you to get in touch with @andrew327 . He sources and deals with second hand kindles including paperwhites. I bought one from him on the cheap where the body was damaged but the screen and all functionality were fine. I just slapped on a case and it works perfectly. It is just that the lack of epub support is a big PITA.
If you have the budget then get a new Paperwhite from Amazon.

I would suggest you to get in touch with @andrew327 . He sources and deals with second hand kindles including paperwhites. I bought one from him on the cheap where the body was damaged but the screen and all functionality were fine. I just slapped on a case and it works perfectly. It is just that the lack of epub support is a big PITA.
If you have the budget then get a new Paperwhite from Amazon.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion would definitely check them out. Stupid question but the lack of support of epubs is present in all kindles?

Hi, thanks for the suggestion would definitely check them out. Stupid question but the lack of support of epubs is present in all kindles?
They did add support. Check Kindle support pages. Also, there are lot of sites where you can convert to .mobi.

is just that the lack of epub support is a big PITA.
Kindle supports epubs. Not sure if older Kindles do, I have a 7th gen and it does. The support was recently added (probably some 6 months ago).
Hi, I want to buy a kindle but I am not sure if I should go for a second hand one or buy a new one. ( paperwhite model). Anyone who has advice regarding the same? Thanks
It obviously depends on your budget and how much time you spend reading. If you read for a couple hours every day, then getting a new one makes sense.
If you read like me, some 4-5 hours in a week at best and then go weeks without doing any reading, then getting a second hand one makes sense.

I had bought a used 7th gen Kindle for 5k in Nov '19 which is still going strong.

They did add support. Check Kindle support pages. Also, there are lot of sites where you can convert to .mobi.
There is still no native support. What they did was remove support for MOBI and replace that with a way to convert Epub using the Send to Kindle feature which will then convert it to their own native KF8 format -
I have not tried it and have no idea how well the conversion happens and whether the layout and format is retained.
Kindle supports epubs. Not sure if older Kindles do, I have a 7th gen and it does. The support was recently added (probably some 6 months ago).
See my post above. Let me know if it works natively for you i.e. drag a epub file into the Kindle storage by connecting to a computer.

See my post above. Let me know if it works natively for you i.e. drag a epub file into the Kindle storage by connecting to a computer.
I have not tried drag and drop. I think ever since epubs were introduced, I've just been using Kindle email to send books. Will give it a try.

Back