LAN For 10 PC

harry_sood1

Disciple
hi guys...
i wud like to connect my 10 pc at my office with internet sharing and printer sharing too..
so wht is the best and good way to connect them.and how can i connect them by my self...pls tell me step by step full detail and hardware and cable needed for it..or one more thing..may i have to setup a server pc for this or not?if yes.then .. best configration for that server?:) ...i want to use win XP for this..hope u guys will help me..thanks in advance:)

1. no server PC required so relax. :) I assume all your PCs already have LAN cards? Else you will need those :)

2. Wires: for a normal 100Mbps lan, u can get basic CAT5 lan cable. <10Rs/meter.

3. You will need to buy a "switch" to connect all the PCs. Since you have 10Pcs you will need a 16 port switch (i dont think there are any 12 port ones. n 8 port will be too less for you.)

4. Just get required lengths of cables from any shop nearby (get lan connectors fitted to the ends too :p), setup the switch, and your done :)

So wat else do you want to know? :)

So what else do you want to know?

techie_007 said:
1. no server PC required so relax. :) I assume all your PCs already have LAN cards? Else you will need those :)

2. Wires: for a normal 100Mbps lan, u can get basic CAT5 lan cable. <10Rs/meter.

3. You will need to buy a "switch" to connect all the PCs. Since you have 10Pcs you will need a 16 port switch (i dont think there are any 12 port ones. n 8 port will be too less for you.)

4. Just get required lengths of cables from any shop nearby (get lan connectors fitted to the ends too :p), setup the switch, and your done :)

So wat else do you want to know? :)
So what else do you want to know?
thanks 4 the information.so wht is the method to connect them together..just run the setup?one by one on all pc?..and the rate of file transfer is much slower in two pc connection so if i am using any hub or switch..so any change?

harry_sood1 said:
thanks 4 the information.so wht is the method to connect them together..just run the setup?one by one on all pc?..and the rate of file transfer is much slower in two pc connection so if i am using any hub or switch..so any change?
and one more thing pl...i have two pc at home ..some told me two use cross cable connection..wht is that crossed cable connection...how can i make a crossed cable?and why we use the cross connection why not straight
connection?

harry_sood1 said:
and one more thing pl...i have two pc at home ..some told me two use cross cable connection..wht is that crossed cable connection...how can i make a crossed cable?and why we use the cross connection why not straight
connection?

1. yup. just connect everything and run the setup and ur done :)

2. rate of transfer should be around 60-80Mbps on a 100Mbps switch on an average. similar even if yu have only 2 PCs connected together. NOTE: Lan cards must be 100Mbps too, not old,slower 10Mbps ones :p

3. Switches are faster than hubs. Hubs basically distribute total bandwidth i believe :ashamed: google if you want more details, but nowadays i doubt u even get hubs when switches are pretty cheap. :)

4. Cross cable is simply a lan cable with connectors connected in a particular configuration (the wires i mean). Earlier lan cards required it. I believe with newer lan cards even a straight cable will work.

Just test with the straight cables you get with your switch ;) if those dont work, get a cross cable for home separately :)

^^ @techie's method - This is the most easiest method. Here we have 17 comps on LAN with the help of 2 switches and loads of LAN wires. :p

1. Just run a wizard to create new network

2. Keep the network name same on all comps eg, MSHOME or WORKGROUP

3. Keep the subnet mask same. By default it's 255.255.255.0 .

4. Make sure that the ip(s) are in the same range.. i.e 192.168.0.(0-255) or 192.168.1.(0-255)

Here's a screenie -

egva2.jpg

Sei said:
^^ @techie's method - This is the most easiest method. Here we have 17 comps on LAN with the help of 2 switches and loads of LAN wires. :p

1. Just run a wizard to create new network
2. Keep the network name same on all comps eg, MSHOME or WORKGROUP
3. Keep the subnet mask same. By default it's 255.255.255.0 .
4. Make sure that the ip(s) are in the same range.. i.e 192.168.0.(0-255) or 192.168.1.(0-255)

Here's a screenie -

egva2.jpg
thanks for ur picture detail ...its very helpfull:hap2:

dunno..last i kno of 8port switches were around 1k (lonnnnnnnnnng back :p) so a 16port should be 100% <2k, amount dunno...ask amanbir from Lynx ;)

this is not my thread but i am Interrupting
hey let me know too is it done or no then i will also try how to do it on my comp
i have some enquiry,suppose i want net access in 4 comps and the rest 6 i dont want what is to be done through networking.,also who can make me learn basic networking as i want to do my own office networking myself.please help

idea said:
is it done?

I don't know if the guy tried it out in his office but I've been using the same setup for the past 2 years with 10 more computers in the network. It works flawlessly...
kunalthesarkar said:
this is not my thread but i am Interrupting
hey let me know too is it done or no then i will also try how to do it on my comp
i have some enquiry,suppose i want net access in 4 comps and the rest 6 i dont want what is to be done through networking.,also who can make me learn basic networking as i want to do my own office networking myself.please help

You can use a software like CCProxy to do that: Proxy Server CCProxy - Easy-to-use Proxy Software for Windows 2000/98/XP/NT/2003/Vista

Its easy to configure and you can select the computers you want to give them net access by installing this on the PC which has the main router.

Networking is a very big term in itself. Why don't you post your queries here and we'll try to help you setup your network :)

PS: For basics of networking, I'll refer Google :p

Back