PC Peripherals LAN Spike Buster ??

SharekhaN

Skilled
Hi Friends ,

My Network adapter ( onboard ) blew during the thunderstorm last night . I will be giving it for replacement . My PC is hooked up to an APC UPS and has a Powersafe 400W PSU . i dont think any electrical surge through the electric system caused this . This was probably due to the LAN cable which hooks to my NW adapter .

Is there any way i can protect my PC from further happenings . Since the rainy season has just started , i expect more thunderstorm and do not want my pc to be affected again .

please help and advise . :)

ahh...so these are phone line protectors...well for DSL, they should get the job done no? just plug in the ADSL out from the splitter to the UPS, and from that the out goes to the Modem, modem being protected by the APC UPS anyways

APC has Lan surge protector. If you guys cannot find it locally let me know. I can arrange a GO for the same.

its must to be honest with anyone who has cable net.

Prolly cos he has LAN internet, that those cable wallahs provide. These are the worst!!

So he plugged the cable coming from outside straight into his NIC. No router mentioned in his post.

:(

..so since he lost his NIC, chances are other customers on that line also did too, so when you call them up they say they *also* lost some eqipment etc..no liability at all.

Thing is even if there is bad earthing at one of their customers place, you can still be affected via the LAN cable.

i had this problem before, and its a tricky one. Thing is the surge protectors on any the equipment mentioned above is of the cheap varistor type. There is no way to continously check if they are *still* effective. So storm season is on now, few surges, its ok, and that one lucky surge fries the NIC, if not also the mobo. You have to replace those varistors annually to be on the safe side.

Short of disconnecting your cables, when a storm approaches, i dont know of any other effective method. Unless you can get discharge tube lightning arrrestors here, i hear the phone companies use them so maybe its available.

blr_p said:
Prolly cos he has LAN internet, that those cable wallahs provide.

So he plugged the cable coming rom outside straight into his NIC. No router mentioned in his post.

:(

k....router seems a better option,since it will blow up first & no damage to mobo :bleh:

Chief-Techie said:
k....router seems a better option,since it will blow up first & no damage to mobo :bleh:

Yeah, and how many routers you want to sacrfice in one season eh ?

..more importantly where is the *guarantee* it will stop at the router and not progress to any other device connected to it :p

so you say get Wi-fi then..look ma...no wires

..but those are more expensive :(

First of all, its a freak incident.

It usually never happens. *Touches Wood*...

For the last 3 years, Ive been connected to the Internet via the Lan cable straight, nothing has happened in the Rains or during a Storm. *Touches Wood again*...

dude me have been on it for 4 years . but every surge is a possible fried motherboard . You might never know , the next sacrifice might be your board .

if there is any cheap equipment under 1k , ill be glad to invest in one . :(

deepak said:
ahh...so these are phone line protectors...well for DSL, they should get the job done no? just plug in the ADSL out from the splitter to the UPS, and from that the out goes to the Modem, modem being protected by the APC UPS anyways
:S
please elaborate more.
Is this applicable to those on triband?:huh:
Aditya said:
First of all, its a freak incident.

It usually never happens. *Touches Wood*...

For the last 3 years, Ive been connected to the Internet via the Lan cable straight, nothing has happened in the Rains or during a Storm. *Touches Wood again*...
Very common occurrence with cablewallas in the suburbs, mainly Borivali and Kandivali.:no:

Do what I do, Unplug the cable for a few hours till the lightning passes by. If your hardware doesn't get struck, most probably your ISP's hardware will. No use trying to keep your connection on through that period knowing that there's a chance your net connection is going to go off anyway - either by hardware going dead or ISP's disconnecting stuff on their end itself. As it is the lightning usually strikes a lot in the first 1-2 days or so.

Funky said:
This has happened to me in 2005 when my A8N SLI premium got fried this exact same way. LAN busted.
APC PROTECTNET WITH GIGABIT PROTECTION
A8N SLI is an acer mobo.(why talk in code?, who is aware of these model#s besides the sellers)

how often do u need to replace/maintain this APC protectnet thing, the specs tell you absolutely nothing about how it works. Tho given the price i'm inclined to think its of the varistor type.

blr_p said:
A8N SLI is an acer mobo.(why talk in code?, who is aware of these model#s besides the sellers)

how often do u need to replace/maintain this APC protectnet thing, the specs tell you absolutely nothing about how it works. Tho given the price i'm inclined to think its of the varistor type.

Ok i did not get the 1st part of your post completely. but most people are aware of thet model no here on TE.

Secondly you dont need to replace it as suck.
All it does is that it gives safe ground path to any surge that comes.
Connect the earth wire to any 3 pin plug's earth connection and plug that in any empty socket. If surge comes it gets ground path and does not pass on to your PC.

blr_p said:

^^^

talk in code??? :rofl::rofl: dude.. this is a tech forum... wat were u expecting??? nd since wen did ASUS become ACER????? :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Funky said:
Ok i did not get the 1st part of your post completely. but most people are aware of thet model no here on TE.
Simple, if you refer to model#s (out of context), only the ppl that know bout these parts understand.

If you said acer mobo (#xyx), then thats fine. but (#xyx isnt as clear on its own).

Dunno maybe its a cultural thing, to use acronymns, (armed forces ppl have this same annoying tendency as well) and the onus is on the listener to make the effort to understand WTF is being referred to. Never understood that reasoning.

In other cultures you get a wierd look when you refer to terms cryptically like this or worse, they just ignore it along with what was said. The trend in these places is to keep it as transparent as possible so we can get to the interesting stuff.

Back