PC Peripherals LAN Spike Buster ??

blr_p said:
Simple, if you refer to model#s (out of context), only the ppl that know bout these parts understand.

If you said acer mobo (#xyx), then thats fine. but (#xyx isnt as clear on its own).

Dunno maybe its a cultural thing, to use acronymns, (armed forces ppl have this same annoying tendency as well) and the onus is on the listener to make the effort to understand WTF is being referred to. Never understood that reasoning.

In other cultures you get a wierd look when you refer to terms cryptically like this or worse, they just ignore it along with what was said. The trend in these places is to keep it as transparent as possible so we can get to the interesting stuff.

eh ???

Maybe you still dont understand but this is still the tech forum. Codes? what codes. This is anything but the code. More than 99% people ( said 99% as u didnt understand) who read that would have understood what i said.

A8N SLI deluxe is Asus board. And it was top of the line SLI board for Athlong 64 and Athlon X2 CPUs. So its widely known. But does it matter? Be is this board or any other motherboard. It will be screwed if surge from lightning hits the onboard LAN.

Funky said:
But does it matter? Be is this board or any other motherboard. It will be screwed if surge from lightning hits the onboard LAN.
Exactly my thoughts, so i wondered why the model# was even mentioned.

Funky said:
A8N SLI deluxe is Asus board. And it was top of the line SLI board for Athlong 64 and Athlon X2 CPUs. So its widely known.
Thx for the info, i'm not really uptodate on mobos, they seem to come out every quarter and i'm really dreading getting the next one :S

But hopefully getting back on point, i take it you have been happy with this APC thingy so maybe thats the take-away from this thread.

Worried about surges then get that APC protectnet.

Just check that your earthing is actully working, surprising how many homes aren't.

The simplest way i'm told is to connect a light bulb between the live & earth, if it lights up, all is good.

STP Systems (India) Pvt. Ltd.
Dinesh Varma - Director
dinesh.v@stpindia.co.in
91-22-26875302

this is what i got from teh APC website . will probably contact them on monday and see if i can get that lan protectnet from there . or else ill rely on funky to order one for me :p

I already burnt my computer through lan spike, though it was connected to earthing which is good, other computer cafee , browsing centers also was effected. So I brought fibre optics cable to safeguard, though it is a costly affairs. Please provide a spike buster circuit if anyone have.

How much does a ethernet to optic fibre converter cost ? This will be sacrificed in case of a surge.

I'm assuming it works like this

LAN cable --> converter to optic fibre ---optic cable------> converter to electrical LAN --> PC

But otherwise yes you have complete electrical isolation with your mobo :)

Isn't this thread over a year old?

Back to the topic, Belkin does have an 8-pin surge protector with RJ45 jacks too, friend of mine is using it, no issues so far.

This would be the one.

Yeah if you read my post earlier in the thread you will see why this can be problematic over time

300V oversized meter oxide varistors (MOVs)

Absorb exess electricity across live, neutral and earth lines, preventing harm to your equipment.

So they protect you for the first surge or two, how do you tell whether they are still good after that ?

You have no clue, only regular replacement will ensure it. Can you get these replacements in India ?

Back