Laptops Laptop 4 50- 55k !! Advice Needed.

kalesh

Disciple
One of my friends need to buy a laptop..his budget is around 50-55k..

I have advised him Dell XPS M1530 Laptop ...

any other suggestions?... he needs it urgently.. so he isnt interested in dell..
I dont know much about laptops.. so need some advice here..

Thanks.

Marun said:
Hi dude,

DELL is always better than SONY VAIO.

No interest in dell!!! :(

then VAIO is the only deal. :cheers:

DELL is still using hard disk technology for data but the new upcoming sony

laptops uses flash memory technology for quicker boot and data storage.

DELL is nothing in comparison of Sony VAIO Laptops.

Sony VAIO are costly but it is worth for a one time investment.

We also need to know the features he is looking for
> does he want discrete graphics
> does he want a bly ray option

you might consider other options like

Hp Dv6700 series

Dell 1525

Lenevo Y510 series

rohit84 said:
DELL is still using hard disk technology for data but the new upcoming sony

laptops uses flash memory technology for quicker boot and data storage.

DELL is nothing in comparison of Sony VAIO Laptops.

Sony VAIO are costly but it is worth for a one time investment.

dude.. do u have any idea how exorbitantly priced ssd's are? currently this totally spoils the price-performance ratio.. an is illogical to buy one.. cause the prices would crash within the next 1 year.. !:eek:hyeah:

an since when is a laptop an investment? :bleh: dude its one the fastest depriciating assets if at all anything! and as far as buying the latest technology goes.. u should buy what is sensible an not wat is the newest! cause in laptops wats ur latest "one time investment" is bound become old "piece of depriciated crap" the next moment! :p

yeah.. its better to buy a new laptop every year for 3 years.. tan to spend the same kind of money at one go an buy a laptop for 3 years..

this way atleast ul have newer toys 2 play with.. an also eventually newer technologies..!

r u getting wat im trying to say??

this thing i read it sums it up best

Do the Math

A lot of acquaintances often approach me to suggest them a PC configuration that would last 4-5 years without the need for an upgrade. Understandably, they are willing to invest a premium amount for the fastest hardware, but I must say, it's for all the wrong reasons.

My advice is rather simple - no hardware out there is future-proof, irrespective of how powerful it may seem today. So there's absolutely no need to pay a hefty premium for the fastest components available, just to avoid an upgrade a couple of years down the line.

Buy the fastest, only if you really "need" that much processing power, or if you have enough money to splurge to simply flaunt the hot-stuff. Don't buy it thinking that you'll actually save money by not upgrading it for half a decade; that's like buying a diesel car hoping to save on the operating cost because diesel is cheaper. Now what's wrong with that, you may ask. Nothing, other than the fact that in all probability, you've already paid for the fuel you were intending to save your money on. Confused? Let me do some math for you.

Let's take an example of any B segment mid-sized car. The cost of the diesel version on an average is Rs. 1.2 lakhs higher than its petrol variant. The cost of petrol and diesel in Mumbai is roughly around Rs. 48 and Rs. 36, respectively. Let's consider the average fuel economy of the petrol car as 12 Kmpl, while that of the diesel version to be 25% higher at 15 Kmpl. Not considering the cost of spares and maintenance and other expenses, the operating cost per kilometer for the cars is Rs. 4 (petrol) and Rs. 2.4 (diesel), respectively. Thus, the diesel car will save you Rs. 1.6 per kilometer. So in order to justify the extra 1.2 Lakh, you paid upfront for the car, you will have to use the car for 120000/1.6 = 75,000 km to break even.

In other words, you will save on the operating cost, only if you use the car beyond 75,000 kilometers, else there are going to be no savings. Mind you, I have not taken into consideration the higher maintenance cost for diesel cars which will stretch the 75,000 km mark further.

To cite another example, this time from the hardware segment; let's go back to early 2006. The fastest graphics card back then was the Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX selling for roughly around 35K. The 7600GT back then was selling for almost 14K, it supported all the features that the 7900GTX did and was capable of handling most of games at playable frame rates. Today, the resale value for both is not much and neither support DirectX 10 (DX10). A Geforce 8800GT sells for around 14K today and is DX10 compliant.

Those who opted for the 7900GTX back then as a 4-year investment, spent 35K on it and won't be able to enjoy DX10 games today. On the contrary, those who bought the 7600GT back then and upgraded to an 8800GT now, did not miss on any of the DirectX 9 action over the past 2 years and now have a DX10 card that is clearly faster than the 7900GTX. All this at 20% lower cost. The same logic holds true for the future too.

Now, that's enough math for one day. The point I am trying to drive is that before you buy any piece of technology, you better have a good enough reason to buy that particular thing. Do look at the bigger picture and have a long-term plan in place, but don't try and plan too far ahead for a future that you cannot foresee.

Source: www. Techtree.com

dude.. do u realize u just contradicted yourself?

You Said : "For Basic usage like email, Chatting ,Ms-office newer technologies are useless."

And hence y does it make sense to buy ssd rite now??

Oh yeah.. a laptop sure is a toy!! wont u enjoy gettin your hands on a new one??an expensiv one but surely somethin i like 2 play wit! :eek:hyeah:

which is y.. unless if ur technologically inclined or get a high out of tech products!.. it makes sense to acquire well established (aka reasonable) advancements.. rather than try an get the exhorbitantly priced latest tech!

And wat tat article also said along with the fact that tech is never future proof that some people refuse to acknowledge is that : " before you buy any piece of technology, you better have a good enough reason to buy that particular thing. Do look at the bigger picture and have a long-term plan in place, but don't try and plan too far ahead for a future that you cannot foresee."

Which is exactly what ur doing by purchasing ssd drives currently! u buy a 32 or maybe 64 gb ssd.. thinking of 5 years in 2 the future an all u know is tat the next windows upgrade uses more than tat much hdd space.. !

Do u know get the point ?

wat im debating is not whether ur laptop is amazingly cool 2 use after 5 years or not.. its whether it makes financial and logical sense to adopt a tech like ssd currently!

u dont like wasting money in buying a new laptop every year .. (which would cost anything from 25k's onwards) but u dont mind investing 20k's in an ssd (approx for a 64gb ) + the cost of the rest of the setup ... dude u seriously have a strange priority/decision making proces!

I am also stuck in a dilemma dell VS Sony. Buying my first laptop but extremely confused in choosing the brand.I have sorted Sony VAIO VGN-CR36G/B , Sony VAIO VGN-CR35G/L and Dell M1530. Dell is value for money has almost all the features needed but sony also have the most but not all the features plus has better build it hardly has any hardware problems and it will be running forever one day you'll be tired of it but it will still be running ! lol :p

So guys please help for choosing the best .

Thanks,
Ankit

dude.. ur gr8tly mistaken bout sony an "it not having any hardware problems and it will be runnin forever one day youll be tired of it but it will still be running !"

man vaios also have massive problems.. only reason majority of people overlook them is cause theyr normally noobs who buy sony.. cause any1 who knows his lappy would much rather buy a dell or apple.. or maybe even hp bt nt sony!

and fyi vaio's also have one of the worst battery deterioration rate.

Hi amityrock,

Thanks for your explanation.It made me think again about the Vaios.

Finally I made my mind I am getting Dell XPS M 1530.

Thanks,

Ankit

Back