Laptop advice needed..urgent!

ragzdiablo

Skilled
Hi guys,
posting this on behalf of a friend..

His uncle is coming from the States ..
and he is getting a laptop from there for him..

His budget is $1200..
i gave him two options..

a Dell studio 17..with a I5-540 , 4gig ram and 500 gb HDD.. no graphics card..and a 17.3'' screen..
or
a HP pavillion DV7...with a I5-540, 6gig ram and 640 gb HDD...a 512 mb HD 5450 graphics card..and a 17.3'' screen..

the HP has a better config..but im inclined towards the Dell...because of after sales and all..
please suggest which one he should go for..

Any other laptop you would suggest..
hes a Semi-n00b.. :eek:hyeah:...so will go only with big brands..and a 17'' is must..

Budget:$1200...1300 max..

TIA..:)

ASUS N73JQ-A1

Display

17.3" WXGA+ HD (1600X900) Glossy

Video Card:

1024MB DDR3 nVIDIA GT 425M

Processor:

Intel® Mobile Core i7 720QM (Customizable)

Memory:

4GB DDR3 1066MHz (Up to 8GB)

Hard Drive:

640GB 7200RPM (2x320GB) Hard Drives (Upgradeable)

Battery Life:

2+ Hour

Weight:

7.9lbs

$1313.67

Thats an amazing config mate...

but i dont think he will go with ASUS..

he wont play any game...so even a mainstream card seems like an overkill for him..

just enough graphics to render HD movies..

Moreover, ASUS after sales will be a worry i guess..

Dell studio 17 is not on sale in India, the warranty can be transferred easily to india but it may be difficult to get spares for a model which isnt on sale in India.

yup after sales will same for any laptop you buy outside india, yes they do offer international warranty but that is a hassle. You have to send it to the head office and from their it will go for repair, the delivery expenses will be yours. with electronics/computers it is a 50-50 situation, if it requires a repair then it becomes expensive and if it does not then it becomes cheap. if someone is going frequently abroad and has the time to take the same for repairs etc then also you can buy and the asus one is a better config. also if the requirement is just HD movies then you can buy a vostro (i don't know how it compares to others screens)

Vostro 3700 Laptop Details | Dell India

Back