Laptop config

Hi all,

Im getting the following laptop this weekend. Its costing me 45k+taxes (4%). Let me know if its a good config, price

Pentium M 1.5GHz

512MB ram

60GB hard disk

combo dvd/cdrw

15 inch active tft screen

WiFi enabled

Builtin card reader

Builtin Lan & 56k modem

the usual blah here

Tell me about any changes that i should make and if the price is good. Mainly gonna be used for programming with occasional entertainment.

Thanks.

Raghu.

Make is wipro, Weight is 2.7Kgs. Im not sure about what you mean by the formfactor. But then its a regular laptop. Its not a tablet or ultralight.

Yeah, thanks crazy eddy ;) I forgot that the other time too!
The optical drive is a combo dvd/cdrw. Hey eddy can u add this to the original post.

Raghu.

not sure how wipro lappies are...the config is pretty decent though....

But bear in mind taht you can get more known brand names (for lappies) for the same price, sp. Comapaq and IBM...

BTW if u r in chennai, I'd suggestu buy from supreme computers in ritchie street...he's the distri for Acer , compaq and IBM and he will usually waive off the taxes + give u an xtra discount....

Just go to any showroom, chk out the models, decideon one, then go to SUpreme as he'll typically not open the box and show it to you before u buy it....

Im kinda ok with the brand cuz my friend will help me out with problems later if need be. Will compaq, ibm be cheaper for similar configs?? Im just looking for value-for-money. So if they are cheaper then i definitely wouldnt mind going for them.

Will check out supreme tomoro if i have time. I was asking around in ritchie a few days back and got quotes of 50k for similar configs - except for maybe a bluetooth or IR reader extra. All the dealers seemed to dial the same number to get the quotes - probably supreme as you say, they seem to deal in all the major brands.

Does supreme have a showroom? Do they customise if im not able to get a model that matches exactly? I dont think compaq, ibm websites list their prices here in India. Can you point me to a website which gives prices for lappy's?

Raghu.

Does supreme have a showroom? Do they customise if im not able to get a model that matches exactly

They do have a showroom AFAIK in Spencer's but the prices there will not be the same as the R. street oulet

As far as customization on laptops (In India where we do not have the site based customization as for Dell/Compaq in the US) go., it is basically upgrades to the RAM or HDD upgrade which you can do by yourself whenever you want in a few minutes

A very decent config that a friend bought recently is the Compaq V2356 (45K) which comes with a P-M 725, SWXGA screen, BT , wireless, firewire, card reader but has 256 MB RAM and 40 GB HDD (Both easily upgradeable)

The compaq/hp and ibm sites are wonderful, for USA that is. This online thing is making me jealous.

I understand abt upgrading the ram, but then for the hard disk...What do i do with the old hard disk? I will lose warranty if i do the upgrades myself, wont i?

The compaq config seems ok, but its still costlier than what im getting. BT has no use for me, much less for firewire. The processor does seem to be better on the compaq.

All said and done i think im getting a good deal with the wipro. Will prolly place the order after calling up supreme to confirm things.

Thanks superczar and crazyeddy too! Good night.
Raghu.

I understand abt upgrading the ram, but then for the hard disk...What do i do with the old hard disk? I will lose warranty if i do the upgrades myself, wont i?

For the RAM, u don't,,,,not sure bout the HDD upgrade though

BTW U r getting the Wipro for 45K + 4% if i am not mistake, the V2356 was 45.5K total

Back