Laptops Laptop: Dead Mobo

el33t

Adept
Hi Guys,

My friend had a problem with his laptop, HP pavillion DV6000, booting. I tried my level diagnosis by putting a new hard disk and trying to install the OS but never load from the installation CD/DVD if the hard disk is connected. I remove the hard disk and it loads.

I got it check with two authorized HP repair shops in Pune. Both say have to replace the motherboard for 15K.

My friend doesn't want to put money for mobo and instead wants to buy new latop from US.

So how can i get rid of this dead baby..like the DVD-writer, Hard disk(i can make portable with a casing) and RAM in good condition.

Thanks

Goto any half decent computer dealer and ask them :) They usually buy such stuff. Best part is the screen by the way. That should actually get you a decent amount of money :)

Hi Techie..thanks for the input maan :) . You from pune...you would like to suggest any dealer..my buddy bought it from Laptech at lullanagar chowk. Alos how much do you think roughly i should get for the screen?

thanks anyways!

el33t said:
Hi Techie..thanks for the input maan :) . You from pune...you would like to suggest any dealer..my buddy bought it from Laptech at lullanagar chowk. Alos how much do you think roughly i should get for the screen?

thanks anyways!

What about the warranty then? If its a local buy?

Try Mahi Comp on East street. Near burger king. He deals in second hand lappies and stuff :) I once sold off an old dell my sis had trashed to him :p

Screen should actually get you a decent amount like I said. How much? Me not sure :ashamed: Assume upwards of 2.5k say? Again it depends on the dealer. Try looking into the classifieds for Laptop repairing ads (TOI, Pune Mirror etc). Contact those guys too. THey buy stuff for spares :)

Also, goto AT LEAST min 3 guys form the listings in the paper before selling to anyone ;)

Hi Techie,

Warranty has passed out thats the big problem :( . Anyways, Thanks for the input man. Appreciated!

Regards,

el33t said:
Hi Techie,

Warranty has passed out thats the big problem :( . Anyways, Thanks for the input man. Appreciated!

Regards,

What exactly was the problem laptop was facing... Was it able to show POST screen & get into BIOS...

Hi Sunny,

I'll check with my friend.

---

Hi Racy,

Ya it shows POST. Can get into the BIOS but very slow.

After long time showing a blank screen with blinking cursor it would say Operating system not found. Which could mean several things like bad MBR, bad hard disk, loosely connected hardi disk or motherboard eeks. I put my spare sata hard disk and tried to install fresh OS. But strangely it takes like forever to load from the CD/DVD ROM. I disconnect the Hard disk and there I can enter the BIOS and get the Windows installation screen quickly.

Why not go to a repair shop and get it repaired..?

Wont cost much..

Also, you can take the hdd install Os and then its good as new, else run ubuntu from pendrive or something..Its not worth getting a lappy right now..for abt more than a year the prices are almost the same:mad:

el33t said:
Hi Sunny,

I'll check with my friend.

---
Hi Racy,

Ya it shows POST. Can get into the BIOS but very slow.

After long time showing a blank screen with blinking cursor it would say Operating system not found. Which could mean several things like bad MBR, bad hard disk, loosely connected hardi disk or motherboard eeks. I put my spare sata hard disk and tried to install fresh OS. But strangely it takes like forever to load from the CD/DVD ROM. I disconnect the Hard disk and there I can enter the BIOS and get the Windows installation screen quickly.

OK.... I was looking at something else... thing is dv6000 series has a problem with the mobo where display fails in some laptops due to overheating... So HP is giving extended one year warranty after the regular warranty for these laptops...I don't think its your case... I thought maybe you have the same problem... My brother got his lappy's mobo changed last month after the warranty in the extended period without any charge...

racy1 said:
OK.... I was looking at something else... thing is dv6000 series has a problem with the mobo where display fails in some laptops due to overheating... So HP is giving extended one year warranty after the regular warranty for these laptops...I don't think its your case... I thought maybe you have the same problem... My brother got his lappy's mobo changed last month after the warranty in the extended period without any charge...

Possible though. Hey dude, check it out ;) Who knows ? :p

As techie said i would still check with HP just in case hehe. I'll also check the HP forums.

Thanks racy!

racy1 said:

Mates ,

I Can Do This Job 100% With Replacement Of The Main IC Also DV6000 Has a Shit Board We Repair a Few everyday .I Can Repair This even If Your BGA Chip is Kaput ,No Need To Do Anything

Back