Laptop for a student

ajmeyn

Disciple
Hi,

I am looking to buy a laptop for a friend for his higher studies abroad (Sweden). Please suggest any good laptops for this,
  • What's your Budget? > 30K and < 40K
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook? Research, Assignments (maybe running a Virtual Machine), Surfing, Light entertainment (movies / gaming) and Skype.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? Needs to be portable so less weight and screen size but also for daily usage, so I guess no bigger than 14".
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? I have a HP of my own but gets pretty hot so don't want to recommend HP.
  • Any other considerations? Good build quality and battery life (5 hours or more) and I think Matte screen would be better (not sure though??), also I dont think an optical drive is a necessity nowadays? International warranty would be required.

^I don't think the waiting will be worthy for him.

@OP- Since you mentioned virtualisation as one of the uses, I suggest you to go for i5 at least. Go for this- ThinkPad E420 @ 37k. Just add extra 2GB RAM, or better sell the current 2GB and plug in a single 4GB kit.

He has the time to wait (needs this by May End / June) but from experience with gadgets I know this waiting is an endless loop (because there is always something better around the corner)
<
So if there is a good one available now that should be good enough to get.

That Thinkpad one seems nice except for the looks, but I guess it would be a good choice. Any other suggestions?

Hmm... I've never really considered Acer before. How is Acer as a brand overall, I mean like the quality, service etc.?

Quality wise, Acer is mediocre, not so good, not so bad. But true VFM. Service, depends area to area. I have not used timeline though, but it looks good.

Back