Laptops Laptop for around $800

reef_d

Disciple
I'm looking for a laptop before university begins.

I want one with a 14 inch display. So far, after browsing lots of sites I found some good deals on HP, Dell and Toshiba.

Also if i get a good deal on a lappy with AMD X2 processor, should i take it or does the Core2Duo beat it by much performance wise?

Looking forward to some recommendations.

My budget is $800.

go with intel coz AMD eats too much battery and where are u picking this laptop if its US go with toshiba forget rest ,will give u some deals by tomo

hi folks i got 2 deals reagrding Toshiba Lappies Under $800 ,they seem to be good with 4 gigs RAM and 320 GB HDD but they are AMD machines not Intel ,just have a look below else if u can strect ur budget lil bit ie by another $100 i have a real good deal for u ,i actually ordered this lappy but its stuck in the US as there is no onbe to get it ,below are the links,i would personally recommed u not to go for Dell as the new lappies are bad and HP is pathetic in service ,if ur looking for good performace and minimal errors go with Toshiba
Laptops under $800

Toshiba M305D-S4833 @ Costco $749

Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4829 @ Circuit city for $699

One more here if u can stretch budget by $50
Toshiba - Satellite M305D-S4830 at Best Buy for $849.99
If u can strect ur Budget by another $100 u can get a real good lappy (but its gonna be 15.4" lappy)
Toshiba Satellite A305-S6861 for $899 at Costco
All the Toshiba Lappies come with standard 1 year world wide warranty ,u can extend the warranty to 2 or more year by calling toshiba or by visitng Toshiba Direct with in 6 months of purchase of laptop, but the extended warranty is not international ,its specific to the country where is purchase the laptop ie if u pick the laptop in US and buy extended warranty in US ,the extended warranty is not valid in any other country other than US ( Not sure abt buying Extended warranty in India) ,but 1st 1year its all over world.
PS:All the info i have given is correct as i did call up Toshiba India and Toshiba US and got confirmed.

Thanks dude. I'm in the US. I want a light 14' lappy.

This is one from Dell which i have customized a little. Works to about $1099. What do you think?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.40GHz) 3M L2 Cache, 800Mhz Dual Core

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1, With media

3 Year Limited Warranty and 3 Year Mail-in Service

14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel

2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS

120GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 7200RPM (Free Fall Sensor)

8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVDâ„¢

128MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 135M™

Dell Wirelessâ„¢ 1395 802.11g Mini Card

6 Cell Primary Battery

This is the Dell Latitude series. Any other suggestions? Preferably with Intel processors. I'm not a gamer and I use Linux most of the time so what would the ideal config be?

y do u wanna spend $1000 on Dell:mad: ,i work for dell man ,trust me the recent lappies r screwed probably u r gonna call dell for some or the other issue and u may end up me taking the escalation call :p ,look out for toshiba ,if u want any suggestion reply i will give u loads of them and tat the dell u selected has just 120 gigs HDD and 2 gigs RAM ,but proccy is good ,think twice before buying dell

btb Dell Latitude are good but once again i would request u to look at other options also

Here is a config i got from customizing a Toshiba on their site. All for $1056

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz, 3MB L2, 800MHz FSB)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 32-Bit

Microsoft® Office 2007 Suite Ready

2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (1024MBx2)

14.1" Diagonal Widescreen WXGA TruBrite® display (1280x800)

ATI Mobility Radeonâ„¢ HD 3470 with 256MB DDR2 discrete memory

+ up to 255MB allocated shared graphics memory

160GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)... I got 820gb in total on external hdds so storage not an issue for me

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965 AGN (802.11a/g/n)

Lithium Ion battery (6-Cell, 3700mAh)

And it's about 5.2 lbs so very portable.

Back