Budget 31-40k Laptop for college?

rkr

Disciple
Hi,
I recently joined university and plan to buy a new laptop.

Here are the answers to the questionnaire:

What's your Budget? (e.g. >30K, not more than 50K etc.)
30k was the original idea. Then it extended to 35k. But i can go upto 40k if the there is significant benefit.

What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming)
College work. Reading PDFs, word documents etc. Apart from that, my branch being Computer Science, I will need to compile some code in the coming years. I also plan on learning android development and compiling my own ROMs from source. (i.e. good processor needed :p)

What size and weight considerations do you have? (e.g. Do you want a 17" desktop replacement or you want an ultraportable 12" or something in between
I've heard (and felt) it's easier to carry around a 14" than a 15.6". But others say, it's better to have a bigger screen to code on. What do you guys say?

Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? (e.g some would prefer to stay away from Acer or Dell)
Any other considerations? (e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non-widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.)

Preffered brands:
1. Dell
2. Lenovo (thinkpad only)
3. HP
4. ASUS
^In that order...

I'm basically looking for a 3rd gen i3/i5 processor. RAM no issue, as I'll upgrade myself if needed later.

I've seen various models online and in stores (Nehru Place, Delhi) and found these options:

1. Lenovo thinkpad edge E430 (3254-D7Q + 04W8269)
The only problem is that it's got a 2nd gen i5, and since I'm not looking for dedicated graphics, 3rd gen's Intel HD 4000 graphics is a necessity.

2. HP 2000-2116TU Notebook PC (B8N01PA)
This has a 15.6" screen which is kinda big for carrying around, i guess.

3. Alternate option
I'm thinking rather than spending so much on laptops why not get my desktop from home.
Desktop specs:
Core2Quad Q6600
2GB DDR2 667MHz transcend RAM
500GB seagate HDD
MSI P35 platinum combo MB
Samsung 22" 1080p LED monitor
Sapphire HD 7750 1GB DDR5

I also have an old old Toshiba laptop which I can bring ALONG with the desktop. It's a single core celeron 1.6GHz with 768MB RAM and 160GB HDD. ~10- years old.

So what do you guys say? Should I get a new laptop or bring my desktop along with/without the old toshiba? If a laptop, then please suggest more models or which is better from the two I mentioned.

Long post! Thanks for reading. :)
Do reply.

HP Pavilion G6-2016TX Laptop 3rd Gen Core i5/4GB/500GB/Win 7 HB/1GB Graphics: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook
It comes with 2 Years Warranty ( 1 Year Onsite Accidental Damage Protection + 1 Year Onsite Extended Warranty)

Yeah. I saw that. Good option but I don't want to spend on a Windows license yet. I'm probably gonna insall Ubuntu....
And its got a 15.6" screen.
Also, at 44k it's beyond my budget.

Sorry, forgot to mention that in the OP.
Any other suggestions?

Back