Laptop from USA

nfsfan

Adept
Not sure where to put this, but this is the laptop section, so here goes.

I have a Dell Inspiron 14R which I want to send back to India. Now, since I am not going to India, someone will be carrying this for me. He will have his own laptop as well. So, here is the problem.

By law, we can carry only 1 laptop with us. Since he will be carrying two laptops, he will be charged duty on the 2nd one. But I am not sure of one thing. He will be coming back, so, he is technically going to leave only 1 laptop behind.

Is the 2nd laptop still taxable? Or, is there any other way??

It depends.. if he is on business visa, he can tell one is his laptop while 2nd is company provided. I myself brought 2 laptops twice this way...(however i was never stopped by the customs)

pepps3484 said:
It depends.. if he is on business visa, he can tell one is his laptop while 2nd is company provided. I myself brought 2 laptops twice this way...(however i was never stopped by the customs)
+1
A work visa can be used to claim that such a laptop is a company laptop. Else, you might have to pay duty

U'll have to pay duty on the extra laptop.

Even a work visa does not essentially mean that u can carry 2 laptops. It is at the sole discretion of the Customs to allow anyone to carry 2 laptops duty free.

Dude, just pack one of the laptops in your check-in baggage. Wrap it up nicely with clothes, comforter etc so that it doesn't shake or move during the throwing around. Don't mention anything about the second laptop during customs and sail through easily.

I have carried 2-3 laptops this way. Never faced any issues.

phoenix844884 said:
Dude, just pack one of the laptops in your check-in baggage. Wrap it up nicely with clothes, comforter etc so that it doesn't shake or move during the throwing around. Don't mention anything about the second laptop during customs and sail through easily.

I have carried 2-3 laptops this way. Never faced any issues.
If you get stopped? What then?

stalker said:
If you get stopped? What then?
If u get stopped, u have to pay the customs + the fine!!!

Not to mention a bribe to save the laptop from being confiscated as an illegal import..... :mad:

I would suggest u not to mess with the customs..... They are extortionists. :(

Better try to get it along as a work laptop as suggested above. In case they don't allow it, pay the requisite duty. That's the safest bet.

no if's & but's

no one will stop, since this is very very common practice, one can carry two laptops, just that it should not be packed.

i brought it 2 times.

i was told by customs that we can carry two laptops.. so i dont think its a problem.. i feel its better to remove the labels so it doesn't look like a new one..

Thanks for the replies guys. We all are students, so no one is on a work visa as of yet. I guess I will try sending it along with someone, and see what happens from there!

There is a simpler solution. If Customs stop the person with two laptops and ask for duty on the second laptop, have the details of the first laptop (that is going back to US) entered in the passport and make sure to have it cancelled when returning.

nfsfan said:
@Nag: I thought that the passport thing no longer works.

What is your source?

Confirm on customs website.

I had a friend get a laptop--he was carrying another one. So asked him to do this--fortunately customs did not stop him--so no chance to test this.

I was just googling and stumbled upon a site which said the same thing. Also, I believe that the declaration has to be made when leaving India, and so it cant be done in my case now.

Is your friend returning to India
or
traveling to India and will returning to US?

I assumed it was the latter. If the former, my suggestion does not apply.

It should--but make sure he knows the appropriate rule, in case the customs hassle him.

Another alternative: are you in a position to let your friend use your laptop during his stay? He can leave the laptop in India and return.

I dont quite understand the alternative. I will wipe the laptop clean before sending it, so he can use it if he wants to. Also, since he stays like a km away from my house in India, my folks can go and collect it anytime they want.

Back