Laptop Hunting. Advice Needed.

red_devil

Disciple
After using a Desktop all these years, I'm now coming around the idea of buying a laptop. My desktop is about 5 years old and it runs for atleast 4-5 hours on weekdays and 10-12 hours (may be even more) on weekends.

Now I'm in no great hurry to buy a laptop but do kindly suggest some of the current models that I can go for within 35k (can add 1 or 2k max if something is *really* worthy). I'm pretty open to either 14 or 15 inch laptop but nothing beyond.

My basic usage will be browsing, watching movies and a bit of games. I'm not aware of most of the gaming titles as all my PC's never had any graphics cards so I didn't bother much with them games :p I've played a bit of NFS carbon (IIRC), a bit of GTA Vice City and a lot of PES 09 :D

So a laptop that I buy should run atleast some of current games (albeit at low settings)

I've searched around a little bit and found:

1. Samsung

RV NP-RV518-S01IN: (couldn't find any review for this one on Notebookcheck)

Flipkart.com: Samsung RV NP-RV518-S01IN: Computer

2. HP ones:

Flipkart.com: HP 630 Series Essential 630: Computer

Flipkart.com: HP ProBook 4530s: Computer

3. Dell Inspiron 14 and 15R

Now my major concern is the graphics card - In my budget, I'm not going to get any 'top end' Graphics cards. At best I can get some low end stuff. So is it really worth the money to buy a laptop with these low end graphics cards?

I mean these will be outdated in a year and after 2 years, I'll end up with a good for nothing graphics card which would still eat up precious battery every minute the laptop is on.

Please suggest.

Edit:

sorry for not using the Questionnaire.

If gaming go with at least a Nvidia GT525 and above. If AMD HD65xx and above. If its anything below that then you are better off with the integrated Intel HD3000 GPU. (Driver support for Intel IGP might be not as good as the AMD or Nvidia ones. But anything below what i have mentioned then the GPU power is pretty similar!)

So if you need a laptop with GT525 or above then you would need to increase your budget by ~3k or so. There is Dell Inspiron 15R with GT525M for ~ 38k and Acer Timeline X with GT540 for ~42k.

Also there is a HP DV4-3015TX ~ 37.5k with a HD6750M! This is the best gaming GPU you can get in the sub 45k range. But I am a bit skeptical about a high midrange mobile GPU like the HD6750M in a smallish 14" chassis!

AMD Radeon HD 6750M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

@DA:

Yes, I've been reading up on your posts about the HP 3015TX on another thread. Though the laptop in itself looks too tempting, I'm not very certain of the HP ASS. So how good do you think is the ASS of HP? I would, rather no one, would like to pay up ~40k for a laptop only to be running from pillar to post to get the laptop repaired due to heating issues! And not to mention the actual cost of repairs themselves!

And the Dell and Acer you suggested, how much future proof are they at this point and time? 6 months, 10 months, a year - before they become obsolete? And what about the one on HP 3015TX?

Future proof is a tricky word in laptops. Even the TimelineX series gets a little warm. Both the Acer and Dell has notebookcheck reviews. Check them out.

The GT525M and GT540 both have 96 shader GPU. They are pretty good and can handle current gen games at low-medium setting @ 720p.

The HD6750M is much more powerful and will last you longer. Many of my friends had a bad experience with HP and spent thousands on the motherboards and display 2-3 years back (The infamous GT 7xxx and GT 8xxx mobile GPU's were the culprit) So I am still skeptical about them. Wait for some HP user or one with this particular model to comment.

I've read about someone being happy with his HP Dv4 - 3016tx - which is essentially 3015 with an i5.

but my major concern still remains ASS. Though Dell has far superior ASS, those laptops from Dell cost a bomb!

BTW, if I chuck out the graphics card itself, then which is the best bang for buck laptop under 35k?

You can go for the Dell Inspiron 15R or Vostro 3550 (good, proven A.S.S) or the Lenovo Z570.

Flipkart.com: Lenovo Ideapad Z Series Z570 (59-067790): Computer ~ 29.4k ("1 Year Onsite & 2 Year Carry In, Domestic, Parts and Labour Limited Warranty ")

Flipkart.com: Dell Vostro 3550 2nd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 320GB: Computer

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

You can go for the Dell Inspiron 15R or Vostro 3550 (good, proven A.S.S) or the Lenovo Z570.

Flipkart.com: Lenovo Ideapad Z Series Z570 (59-067790): Computer ~ 29.4k ("1 Year Onsite & 2 Year Carry In, Domestic, Parts and Labour Limited Warranty ")
Flipkart.com: Dell Vostro 3550 2nd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 320GB: Computer

Back