Laptops Laptop not Booting. Help

jinu_j

Recruit
Hi Folks

i have a Toshiba Satellite U400 212 that was lying idle for about 5 months. Last operated successfully in Dec. When i started it now it gives me the Toshiba logo screen from where i can go to the BIOS (press f2) or the multi boot screen (Press F12). After that the screen just goes blank. It wont boot from HDD, CD, DVD or USB. I have tried the following trouble shooting steps but to no avail
- Reset BIOS settings to default
- Disbaled as much options from BIOS settings as possible (LAN, USB etc)
- Removed all devices i could (HDD, RAM, mini PCI wireless card) and then switched on. nothing no beeps no display
- Swapped the RAM from another laptop that i have, still same problem. The RAm from this laptop works fine in the other laptop
- Checked the HDD on another PC and its fine
- Removed the CMOS battery of the laptop and reset
- Removed the laptop battery and worked it only on Power adapter
- Connected to an external display to check if it was a display problem, but external display also shows same problems

While the blank screen is showing,
- If i put a cd in the cd drive it spins up and then kind of switches off
- If i connect a usb flash drive, the light on the USB flash drive flickers(like its being read from) for some time and then goes dead
- all the display light on the laptop works fine and is on.

PLease advice (laptop is out of warranty)

Since you've done all the possible ways to fix it up. There is only one way left for you. That is, if it is possible for you, open laptop take out the motherboard and clean it with Petrol {provided you can effort ;-) } or thinner, dry it up, re-fix everything in place. it should turn on. It is due to fungus or dampness. Try it. I've come across many like this, esp. if it is unused for several months in a damp area.

Can it be dampneess. I thought of that and i had left the Laptop on overnight(in the blank screen state) hoping it would start and as such by morning the laptop was warm and toasty, but still no start.

Thanks Gaurish. but in my case it is powering on upto the BIOS screen after that it does not proceed. And while it is stuck in this state the rest of the hardware like CD Drive, USB port seems to work fine (atleast it shows some activity if a disk is put in)

Even it is been toasted, dried fungy can act as conductor, Unless it's been cleaned off with sort of thinner, it'll act funny. Just 3 days back, I have solved one Fujitsu Lifebook S series. There were some greeny stuff around the power button flex cable and near the Bios chip. At first, power button didn't respond. After cleaning the flex, it tuned on but hanged on BIOS. Just to be on the safe side, I've cleaned all including, Ram slot, Hdd slot, and the entire mobo. Now it is running perrrrrrfect.

While the blank screen is showing,
- If i put a cd in the cd drive it spins up and then kind of switches off
- If i connect a usb flash drive, the light on the USB flash drive flickers(like its being read from) for some time and then goes dead

Drying and cleaning the laptop is a good idea. Maybe, you can also try to boot from a cd or pendrive, if the boot partition got corrupted. I would have checked that.

Back