Laptop Refuses to Run Fans at Max Power

Hi, I'm new here and this is going to be my first post. I have an ROG GL504GM laptop which I love dearly. I have been using it for two years now and I've played quite a few demanding games on it (Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn and others). I've noticed however the laptop's heat management system is very bizarre. As soon as I boot into a game, the temperatures on the GPU and CPU vamp up and reach a relatively high degree. Asus has three fan modes (Silent, Balanced and Turbo) and whenever I switch to Turbo the fans spin at a very high RPM but then quickly go down to a lower RPM which doesn't do a sufficiently good job at cooling. I'm looking for any kind of insight or advice regarding this. Thanks again! Cheers!

temperatures on the GPU and CPU vamp up and reach a relatively high degree
Have you monitored / logged temperature changes on heavy loads using any software? Looking at the data would definitely help us a lot more than generic terms

I would suggest HWinfo - boot this before you launch a game, and enable the logging option. After about 15-30 mins of heavy load you can stop the logging, and this csv file generated will give us a much better idea of the thermal situation on your laptop

Please also tell us your laptop specs, and depending on them we could also try undervolting - it is a very safe way to obtain a significant reduction in temperatures without loosing out on any performance.
Also if you have subjected it to a couple of years of heavy usage - it is also quite possible your factory thermal paste has dried out and a repaste will make a huge difference. That is of course, considering you're comfortable opening up your laptop. It isn't quite as complicated as it looks, and there are multiple repasting tutorials on youtube for your specific model too.

Also have a look at this post on r/IndianGaming regarding laptop fans gathering dust easily - might not be noticeable from the outside but your fans could be clogged in a similar way and you wouldn't know it, cleaning them would let your fans breathe much more easily

Source : I bought one of the original Acer Nitro 5 laptops which are notorious for bad temps due to inherent cooling design flaws (would go upto 95 deg C and thermal throttle) until I got fed up with it and opened it up only to find that the factory thermal paste was more like a powder and completely dry. I removed the bad paste with some IPA and repasted it with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and undervolted the CPU to end up with a 75 deg max temp on heavy loads

I owned a ROG GL702VS and in its ROG gaming center software, I could manually set RPM to max, even though it would never go up to max. Maybe give that software a try.

Back