Laptops Laptop Shuts Down Without Warning {Only When On Battery}

kidrow

Adept
Hi guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1564 (core i3 330, 2gb ram) which for the past couple of weeks or so is shutting down without warning only when running on the battery.

By shut down, I don't mean that it goes through the normal shut down process for Windows. Rather it's as if someone pulled the plug while a desktop PC is running.

Also, when the shut down occurs, it is usually accompanied by a very brief, audible noise (static). (Like the kind you hear in movies when people talking over their radios switch over to the other person - 'Over')

The battery is a new one, purchased just last week. Even with the earlier battery, the symptoms were the same.

When the laptop is plugged in, it can run for hours without issue. Whether the laptop does or does not have the battery inserted when plugged in, does not make any difference.
But when running only on the battery, if fully charged, it usually will last for about 30-60 mins (only today did it surpass about 80-90 mins) before shutting down.

After such a shut down, if I attempt to power on the laptop again, it may or may not turn on.
If it does turn on, there's no saying how long it'll stay on for - it could be as little as a few seconds or as much as 20 mins.
If it doesn't turn on, I usually have to remove the battery once before I can start it again.
Despite doing this, there are times when the laptop won't power up. It's only when I plug it in that the laptop has successfully powered on every time.

On a few occasions, after such an improper shut down, I've found the laptop heating up either while charging or even with nothing connected but the battery, until I remove the battery. This doesn't happen on every occasion though.

I've run the Dell diagnostics tool found within the Bios on a couple of occasions & it hasn't come up with any errors. I've kept an eye on the CPU temps throughout & it isn't anything alarming. (~45-50 deg C usually). Also the fan does run properly.

I've tried holding down the power button with nothing connected (to drain the static charge iinm) on a few occasions but it hasn't made any impact. I've attempted to update the bios by running Dell's update program, but while it seems to run properly, the bios doesn't update. (I'd read that a corrupt bios could cause this. Since my bios version isn't the latest, I tried giving that a shot as well).

I've also "tried calibrating" the battery by charging fully & letting it drain completely. (But of course, the drain isn't ever complete, :))

Could the CMOS battery have anything to do with it? The only obvious glitch my laptop has is that the time displayed keeps getting messed up.

So I'd really appreciate any inputs you guys might have. Thanks a lot. Cheers!

PS: The laptop is about 4-5 years old.

PS#2: I have a dual boot setup with Win 7 & Mint Linux. The problem occurs irrespective of the OS I've booted to.

Back