Laptops Laptop suggestion - 30k budget, 15.4"

Hi Guys,

I'm on lookout for a laptop. Here are the requirements(in order of preference)..

1) <30k

2) >=15 inch screen

3) HD playability

4) No OS. I already have a copy of Win7.

5) Core two duo

Usage would be web surfing + movies + iphone maintenance :)

I read through other threads and found out that these models are good..

Compaq Presario CQ40-317TU

Lenovo G450 (29492KQ)

Acer Aspire 5536

Re: Laptop suggestion..30k and 15.4"

very difficult to find a 15.4" for under 30k.... mostly you will get 15.6" size....
Acer 5738 is your best bet... linux model with T6600, 3gb ddr3 ram and 320gb hdd will cost 30-31k max.

bigbyte said:
very difficult to find a 15.4" for under 30k.... mostly you will get 15.6" size....

Acer 5738 is your best bet... linux model with T6600, 3gb ddr3 ram and 320gb hdd will cost 30-31k max.

I guess OP just meant a 15" screen. Before lappies had a 15.4"(1280*800) screen. Now-a-days 15.6"(1366*768) seems to be the trend.

Go for either Lenovo or Acer (the models wich u hv mentioned) as both have the features you want and they both have identical specs n also cost around 30k.

Lenovo G550- 2958- 53Q- Rs: 28200/-

Intel Pentium Dual Core Mobile Proccy. T4200

2.10 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache,*800 MHz

RAM: 2 GB- DDR 3- 1066mhz

HDD: 250 GB

DVD RW/RAM

Display: 15.6" LED*WXGA Vibrant View

Intel Graphics 4500MHD

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g + 56k Modem

Battery Back-up - 2.30 hrs-3.30 hrs

HTH

Re: Laptop suggestion..30k and 15.4"

microsoft said:
acer 5738

the best

Karthi007 said:
Acer 5738z - 27-28k. perfect for your needs.

bigbyte said:

Thank you guys. 5738 seems unanimous choice :)

So, I see 5738 has variants too(linux, ddr3?). Lemme check what my local dealer has. He has quoted 27.5k

BTW, if I increase my budget to 33k and I'm getting a Dell 1545 INspiron for that, is it worth the 5.5k price difference? I know Dell rocks in service. But is the build quality much better that Acer?

Emperor said:

Intel Pentium Dual Core Mobile Proccy. T4200

2.10 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache,*800 MHz

RAM: 2 GB- DDR 3- 1066mhz

HDD: 250 GB

DVD RW/RAM

Display: 15.6" LED*WXGA Vibrant View

Intel Graphics 4500MHD

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g + 56k Modem

Battery Back-up - 2.30 hrs-3.30 hrs

HTH

Thanks man. This is exact same as Acer's one, except DDR3 part - that too as bigbyte pointed is available in some variant of 5738. Anyways, gotta check out Lenovo too now :)

This one is not exactly Acer 5738. Infact this is more closely matched to Acer 5738z. The difference between the two acer's being former has T6600 Core 2 duo while latter has T4200 Pentium dual core proccy.
Acer 5738z will be around 2k less than 5738 with similar other specs.

my friend purchased 5738z for 27.5k:

15.6" LED backlit LCD
T4300 Pentium dual core
3Gb DDR3 RAM
GL40 chipset
dvd burner
320Gb HDD
6cell battery
linux OS

laptop carry bag is free

Lenovo G550 has similar core2duo model for 30k.

desiibond said:
my friend purchased 5738z for 27.5k:

15.6" LED backlit LCD

T4300 Pentium dual core

3Gb DDR3 RAM

GL40 chipset

dvd burner

320Gb HDD

6cell battery

linux OS

laptop carry bag is free

Lenovo G550 has similar core2duo model for 30k.

Have you seen it(5738z) personally? How is the built quality and everything?

Buy Compaq Presario 510 or 610 model.
Configuration as I remember
For 510
C2D 2.0
200Gb
2Gb Ram
Inbuilt Graphics
L2 2Mb cache
OS free. {No OS comes with it}

Price Rs.29,200

For 610
C2D 2.2
320 Gb
3Gb
Inbuilt Graphics
OS free
Price Rs.31,275

^^ Screen size is 14" :(

m.khurana said:
Buy Compaq Presario 510 or 610 model.

Configuration as I remember

For 510

C2D 2.0

200Gb

2Gb Ram

Inbuilt Graphics

L2 2Mb cache

OS free. {No OS comes with it}

Price Rs.29,200

For 610

C2D 2.2

320 Gb

3Gb

Inbuilt Graphics

OS free

Price Rs.31,275

I did check out Compaq 610. It seems quite reasonable to me. 31k for C2D.

Now it has come down to Acer 5738z(27.5k) to Compaq 610(31k). Any sugggestion guys?

I read around and found T5870 and T54200 ain't that different except 1 more MB of L2 cache. Is that true?

Deus Ex Machina said:
BTW, if I increase my budget to 33k and I'm getting a Dell 1545 INspiron for that, is it worth the 5.5k price difference? I know Dell rocks in service. But is the build quality much better than acer ?

Dude I would suggest if money is an issue, wait for few days, gather the extra 4k and buy the Dell 1545. It will be a good investment. Build quality is any day better than Acer and the Acer compromises on a lot of things to give so called "cheaper" laptops. They are "cheap" truly but in all sorts of other ways. :)

I have a Acer myself but wouldn’t dare to buy one even if someone gave me money to buy it.

I am not here to give you a personal saga of misery and say “ look this happened to me, so don’t buy acer” but I have spoken to lot of acquaintances too about acer and anybody who does a bit of heavy duty stuff like movies and casual gaming will ask you to stay away.

The funda of the acer guys is to lure people by "giving more features at a lower cost." Suckers like you and me fall for it readily and say” Wow so many features at such a low price. Lets buy it.” But wait a sec. Are they doing social service? Why are no other companies giving the same specs at similar price points? When I bought my Acer Aspire 5583 two years ago on recommendations of people from this forum, it was the best buy at the time with the maximum features in the market. One year later it was ready for the dustbin. Today I use the same laptop with a refurbished battery, adapter, motherboard and no button panel and a non functional DVD drive. I switch the comp on using a key or some sharp object like a pen or pencil tip. (coz the power button conked off and the entire button panel had to be removed.) I am looking to sell it off to someone but would be ashamed to cheat someone like this. Customer Care in India is a myth so I will not say anything about it.

If you are using the comp for MS Office applications then go ahead buy Acer but little bit more heavy work and you are a goner. This is not a one off review I am giving based on only my experience. I have spoken to many people who use Acer and all heavy duty users have the same thing to say. So I would sincerely suggest that you buy the Dell.

Sorry to be so depressing but that’s that. On the brighter side, its been almost 3 years now and maybe Acer improved their shit!  ( just kidding. I would be still skeptical.)

Dear Pom,

I do understand your points very well, and you have put it i na very nice way ...

But believe me Acer is the Air Deccan of the Laptop World !! It is short on many things but wins on many other things ...

If you are a informed user you should not have gone for a entry level Acer for Gaming there were other models available ...

I bought an Acer 5920 for my Papa a year back (bought for 35k)and now after two formats also it rocks like anything ... Had i been using the same probly i would have been in the same boat as you ...

Its not always the Laptop but who YOU are (the user) DOES Matter ....

we have to choose Horses for courses !!!

Hope my observations are fair ... without prejudice to anyone.

rgds,

som

Whoa, what a strong view :) I started considering Dell again for a while. But what I am absolutely sure of, is that this laptop will NOT be used for gaming. So I guess we'll be able to steer away from damages from heating an such. Normal internet browsing/movie won't push the limits.

Anyways, I bought a Zenith gaming laptop from suggestions from this forum and against mockery from everyone else :) I haven't had a problem(I game quite a lot). That just might be a one-off case though...

So I'll go to Nehru Place tomorrow and get a 5738 for 27k and pray that I don't have to call customer service ever :)

SOM1 said:
Dear Pom,

I do understand your points very well, and you have put it i na very nice way ...

But believe me Acer is the Air Deccan of the Laptop World !! It is short on many things but wins on many other things ...

If you are a informed user you should not have gone for a entry level Acer for Gaming there were other models available ...

I bought an Acer 5920 for my Papa a year back (bought for 35k)and now after two formats also it rocks like anything ... Had i been using the same probly i would have been in the same boat as you ...

Its not always the Laptop but who YOU are (the user) DOES Matter ....

we have to choose Horses for courses !!!

Hope my observations are fair ... without prejudice to anyone.

rgds,
som
Hahaaa Som :) Nice simile. " Air Deccan of laptops" :) I didn't buy the laptop for gaming. THe only games that I ever played were EA cricket 07 and Hitman 2 on this laptop. I am a movie buff. Watch movies regularly. That was enough to conk it off. :) Maye I got a bad deal, who knows.

Nevertheless , our friend has decided to go for the 5738, so all the best to him. I hope these Acer guys have improved the build and internal hardware by now.

Deus Ex Machina said:
Have you seen it(5738z) personally? How is the built quality and everything?

yes. used it for couple of hours. Build quality is good and it didn't feel plasticky. Only problem is with touchpad buttons which are very hard and need to press them hard.

if you can pay 32k-33k, go for Dell Inspiron.

and don't think that you don't need to contact customer care ever. Acer's failure rate is more than that of Dell's. Common problems include issues with speakers and optical drive.

On the bright side, they charge less than what Dell and HP charges for after-warranty services and you can exten your warranty by another year by paying some 5k-6k for sub 30k laptops.

@Everyone

Thanks for your strong advice guys. You managed to scare me enough :) to reconsider my choice of Acer. So, I went to Nehru Place with no prejudice. ANd I ended up buying Lenovo G series-53Q.

Specs:

Dual Core 2.2

2GB DDR3

250 GB HDD

15" Widescreen LCD

Price:

I was really happy with the build quality. When compared with Acer there was a sure noticeable difference. To me, it looked better too :)

Thanks again guys, for sane advice..

Back