Laptop suggestions needed

Emil

Skilled
Required by my daughter in Doha. Will probably be purchased from US or even Dubai if it provides a significant price advantage. Best country to purchase from may also be suggested.
Main requirements:
1. Preferably Windows XP Home or Pro since that is what she is familiar with.
2. Primary requirement - Skype videochat. So webcam, microphone and Wifi are essential.
3. Secondary requirement - watching standard definition movies. If possible to connect to the TV that would mean a smaller display size would suffice. I need to find out what inputs the TV has.
4. Surfing the net and email, MS Office.
5. Decent battery life.
6. Lowest cost to do all the above.

Taking the requirements into consideration a netbook would do it for her?

Costco - Computers - Netbooks take a look and tell me which one u like:)

i have an acer aspire one 751h netbook bought from the same store in NEW YORK in 2009.........it has 160 Gb HDD and 1gb ram accompanied by Atom Z520(1.3ghz)! Works awesome for me but u can't play a movie over 420p:(

Another thing is that i have a 11'6" inch screen model & I don't know why it isn't available on costco:S

Thanks for the link. I don't think 420p would be a problem. However the size of the display might.

Aren't those prices quite similar to here?

Since those netbooks do not have optical drives, what does one do for media for movies? USB flash? But how would you get the movie onto the flash unless you are copying it off another computer?

ext opt drive? starts getting bigger and more expensive.

I am also toying with the idea of her using a Nokia E63 or something (with WiFi) for Skype or another VOIP on the move and a desktop maybe for use from home.

hmmmm...

the prices quoted must be cheaper than here in india...atleast they were when i bought mine:p

i forgot taking the opt. drive into consideration...yeah it may be a problem but u would get it for 30$ in US and i know this sounds stupid but i never felt shortage of a dvd drive in my netbook ever since i bought it:)

always downloaded movies and proceeded accordingly:D

In ur sister's case she might be needin a drive so either she buy's and external one or go for the lappy hunt because i don't think any netbook would be havin a dvd drive:S

when @ lappy u would find good budget lappy's on the same website and some experts here( better than me) will surely help u further with the laptops:)....may be i'll too:D

^Thanks for the help M@crosoft. BTW it is my daughter not my sister.

Yes we will consider a lappy too. Probably go that way finally. But seriously, if she is going to buy in Doha itself, it may be worth for her to buy a desktop for the home and a decent, cheap, Wifi enabled Symbian or Win mobile phone for Skype on the go. That way she doesn't have to carry the lappy around when she is travelling.

If she got herself a Netbook, she would probably carry it around and not upgrade from her Nokia 7210.

By the way, slightly OT, has anyone here used Skype mobile on a E63 or similar with video? Does it work in both directions for video? I don't think the E63 has a front camera so I don't know how it would work for sending video.

BTW it is my daughter not my sister.
Lol sorry:ashamed:

try and compare the prices of DOHA and US because i really don't know anything bout the prices in Doha:S

hmm. yeah a desktop should do it for her as well...didn't suggested one since i thought ur a lappy or netbook hunter

If she got herself a Netbook, she would probably carry it around and not upgrade from her Nokia 7210.
aaaa.. that's sort of a problem:p

come on...no more suggestions from anyone?

Back