Budget 0-20k Laptop upgrade suggestion

I have Dell Inspiron 3542 laptop, and I am confused if I should upgrade it for casual video editing use. Currently it has i3 4th gen processor with 4GB ram with 500Gb HDD. I am planning to upgrade ram to 8Gb And use SSD for improved speed.

Suggestion needed in terms of could this upgrade of Rs.2-3k will help me to get basic video thing done for next 1.5-2 year? (video editing of mobile videos)

Reason for some upgrade currently laptop gives up if I open video editing software Movavi and cloud storage like Dropbox

I have the same laptop. I had upgraded to Crucial SSD in 2021 and inserted old HDD into DVD SATA port using caddy. And upgraded to 8GB ram this year.

It has given new life to the system. I don't do editing so can't tell much about that but boot time, app opening time has improved a lot. I do coding stuff and it works well.

You should at least upgrade to an SSD if the battery isn't dying.

I have the same laptop. I had upgraded to Crucial SSD in 2021 and inserted old HDD into DVD SATA port using caddy. And upgraded to 8GB ram this year.

It has given new life to the system. I don't do editing so can't tell much about that but boot time, app opening time has improved a lot. I do coding stuff and it works well.

You should at least upgrade to an SSD if the battery isn't dying.
Once we install SSD, it will be the primary storage for laptop right? And also what happens to program currently installed on HDD

Once we install SSD, it will be the primary storage for laptop right? And also what happens to program currently installed on HDD
No, if you just replace HDD with SSD it will appear as new disk in the system without OS and need to reinstall OS.

If you re-insert the HDD using caddy it will boot from that HDD and show the SSD as a new partition. And then you can use some tool to copy OS and EFI partition from HDD to SSD which will move all apps to SSD. Remember to change boot order in BIOS settings after moving OS to SSD.

I would recommend a clean install of the OS if you don't have any important apps installed.

No, if you just replace HDD with SSD it will appear as new disk in the system without OS and need to reinstall OS.

If you re-insert the HDD using caddy it will boot from that HDD and show the SSD as a new partition. And then you can use some tool to copy OS and EFI partition from HDD to SSD which will move all apps to SSD. Remember to change boot order in BIOS settings after moving OS to SSD.

I would recommend a clean install of the OS if you don't have any important apps installed.
I think I just to change bios setting to boot up because I already have installed OS in it, But not sure what to do with HDD os as it's installed not won't be used once I make OS bootable from SSD

I think I just to change bios setting to boot up because I already have installed OS in it, But not sure what to do with HDD os as it's installed not won't be used once I make OS bootable from SSD
You can format the OS from HDD during windows installation on SSD or use Disk Management after installing windows.

I did upgrade from HDD to SSD and the only problem that I have now is I haven't formatted my HDD, So whenever I connect it through caddy lappy boots up from OS of that HDD, Not sure I am doing wrong

I did upgrade from HDD to SSD and the only problem that I have now is I haven't formatted my HDD, So whenever I connect it through caddy lappy boots up from OS of that HDD, Not sure I am doing wrong

You can choose the boot order in the BIOS no? Both for UEFI GPT and older BIOS MBR based partitioning.

You can choose the boot order in the BIOS no? Both for UEFI GPT and older BIOS MBR based partitioning.
This is where I am confused. I set boot order from UEFI to legacy and changed priority but not sure what I am doing wrong. Under UEFI boot I am not getting option to set boot priority hence for time being I have kept caddy outside of laptop and managing work with only SSD

Back