Laptop with a budget of 40K for a M Pharm Student

Metalspree

Skilled
A cousin of mine is looking for a laptop for his project work.He is a M Pharmacy student .The usage is going to be as follows

1) Chemdraw software will be used for structural analysis of chemicals(Requirements say that it will support only 32bit OS.I am not too sure whether we can install it in 64bit.
2) Light gaming
3) General usage

His budget is maximum 40K nothing more than that.I had suggested him the below config .Can i get a better config for the same price ina different brand or Dell itself
Dellâ„¢ Inspiron 14 New Laptop (S541218IN8)
Operating System : Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic 64bit (English)
Processor :Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor (2.13Ghz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
Memory :3GB 2 DIMM (1 GB + 2 GB) DDR3 1066Mhz
Keyboard :Internal Dellâ„¢ Keyboard with Touchpad (English)
Video Card :Intel® HD Graphics
Hard Drive : 320GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive :8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
Audio Solution :Integrated Stereo Sound with SRS Premium Sound
Dell Services: Hardware Maintenance 3 Years Complete Cover Accidental Damage Protection

Total :Rs.42,909.64 excluding shipping charges

Preferred brand is Dell.I have been hearing that the Samsung and Sony laptops are also good.Will avoid Acer due to its build quality and service woes.

Cheers...

Good config. You can try to get some sort of corporate disocunt(dell offers corpate discount of 5% for ppl working in most IT majors or corporates) or IIRC contact ANKS2422. He may help u to get some discounts. Chk the hot deals section for his offers on complete cover.

If u are not averse to swapping OS disks then get a 32-bit Windows7 OEM disc from some other Dell user. My friend's Vista Premium OEM disc(came with his lappy) worked flawlessly in my dell lappy(I bought it with Vista Basic). If u install dell OEM in other company Laptop/PC it will give a 30-day trail OS but when used with other Dell Lappies its working.

DarkAngel said:
Good config. You can try to get some sort of corporate disocunt(dell offers corpate discount of 5% for ppl working in most IT majors or corporates) or IIRC contact ANKS2422. He may help u to get some discounts. Chk the hot deals section for his offers on complete cover.

If u are not averse to swapping OS disks then get a 32-bit Windows7 OEM disc from some other Dell user. My friend's Vista Premium OEM disc(came with his lappy) worked flawlessly in my dell lappy(I bought it with Vista Basic). If u install dell OEM in other company Laptop/PC it will give a 30-day trail OS but when used with other Dell Lappies its working.

Thanks Karthi will talk to him and will try swapping the disk
ajab.ghajab said:
The New Inspiron 15" with a similar spec, but without the OS, costs 33K. You might want to give it a look

15" is going to be too bulky for him to carry around

Back