Laptop within 40K

rajivnairr

Disciple
Hello people,

I have just recently joined for MBA program and I need a laptop. I know my budget is way more than what I actually need which is to make PPTs and write-ups however I would like to have something which I can keep for atleast 2-3 years. I have some pointers for my buy, kindly suggest me which laptop I should go for:

1. Screen size should be 15"
  2. Should have either Linux or DOS (No windoze for me)
  3. Should have a 500G HDD
  4. Should have a Core i3 or above proccy
  5. Dont mind if the graphics is internal

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv Nair

greenhorn said:
http://www.techenclave.com/laptop-buying-advice/laptop-for-mba-163714.html

if you are serious about MBA usage, you will need a lot of ppt/excel work ( using a lot of excel's standard functions - Statistical analysis etc)

not sure if you can manage with OOo. Do give your choice of OS a second thought. I'm as big a windows hater, but you have to use the right tool...
+1.

I don't think MBA's could manage without a Windows machine.

http://www.deltapage.com/laptop.pdf

You can get Dell laptop with DOS from retailers.

Inspiron 15R --> CORE I3-370M / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 320GB HDD/ 512MB(HD5470)/ DOS --> 37150.00

This is Chennai pricing pricing. I guess it should even more cheaper in lammy.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

So if u want more HDD spce then better get a 500GB portable external HDD ~ 3.5k. You can have redundancy of important data. Plus lots more space.

hey y'all,

thanks for the prompt reply... its sad to hear that I shall have to rely on windoze to get through my acads but hey why do they have virualization softwares for... ??? besides I have never owned a laptop so can someone enlighten me as to how much difference one can expect from using core i3 vs core2duo on a lappy... ??? i went for some window shopping today and got the following quotes:

1) Vijay Sales

Acer AS5745 - Rs. 40990/-

Core i5 M-430
Win7 HP
3GB RAM
640GB HDD
15" screen

2) Vijay Sales

Lenovo 5904-0323 - Rs. 38,990/-

Core i3 M-350
Win7 HP
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
15" screen
512MB Nvidia

3) Lamington Road

Lenovo xxx426 - Rs. 37,800/-

Core i3 M-350
DOS
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
15" screen
512MB Nvidia

which1 would you guys go for... ???

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv Nair

c2d vs i3 is something you need to worry more along the lines of product obsolescense. I say buy the cheapest dual core and throw as much RAM as you can in it, and you should be good.

if you plan to move about, give a thought to the 14". more is not necessarily better. sometimes i wish i had the 14"

14" or 15.6" u will end with the same real estate (Both have 1366*768 these days). Just that the icons and fonts will look bigger in a 15.6" one.

For basic multimedia usage a 2-2.2GHz dual core is more than enough IMO for 2yrs or so. Throw in a basic GPU with it if u watch 1080p rips.

Get a laptop with atleast an entry level GPU so that you can play full HD movies, two years back i urged all of my friends to buy a laptop with a basic gpu but some of them didnt listen stating that "i dont play games, so i dont need a graphics card" but now they are regretting their decision as they are not able to play Full HD movies on their laptops.

RS4 said:
Get a laptop with atleast an entry level GPU so that you can play full HD movies, two years back i urged all of my friends to buy a laptop with a basic gpu but some of them didnt listen stating that "i dont play games, so i dont need a graphics card" but now they are regretting their decision as they are not able to play Full HD movies on their laptops.
But does it really matter? In a laptop screen that has a 1366*768/ 1280*800 resolution is there a difference between a noticeable 720p and 1080p video? (Unless u decide to plug it into ur FullHD TV of course)

now hdmi ports are quite common on laptops and it gives you an option to buy an lcd later or connect it to lcd tv at home and watch HD movies and also a laptop with a basic gpu doesnt cost much and is within the 40k budget.Also many times you get Full HD movie files like one of my friend copied it from my external hard disk and wasnt able to play it and he was furious on his laptop that it wasnt able to play a movie:p

Another case:eek:ne of my classmates wasnt interested in gaming and all but later on he developed an interest in COD series and he played all the games in the series except the last one and he was also regretting about his decision of not opting for a gpu, Its known that you wont be able to play future games in full details and resolution but you will atleast have an option to finish that game on lower details and resolution.

greenhorn said:
yes it does. I have people lined up outside my room to play NFS :bleh:

:lol:.......

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

RS4 said:
^^ now hdmi ports are quite common on laptops and it gives you an option to buy an lcd later or connect it to lcd tv at home and watch HD movies and also a laptop with a basic gpu doesnt cost much and is within the 40k budget.
Agree with that. Thats what i mentioned in my post too. But once Sandy Bridge and Llano CPU/APU is released late 2010- early 2011 the IGP itself would be capable enough to handle 1080p which would eliminate the need for discrete GPU for that task.

Even though discrete GPU's have become energy efficient now it does add to the heat and sucks more battery life out of the laptop(unless one has Optimus enable or switchable graphics)

^^ yeah once the sandy bridge series is released there would be no need of basic entry level gpu on laptop as the igp itself will be better than entry level graphic cards.

Back