Large Capacity HDD's (6TB-20TB)

2x WD DC HC510 received on 04/23. Packaged excellently. Healthy and did some short tests. Left feedback.

Thanks @aasimenator for providing these deals and for helping me throughout the transaction.

~

FYI, some AMD systems might have problem detecting these drives like in my case:

Since I planned to use them in a NAS anyway, I tested directly from the NAS itself.
I had 2 shucked WD 6tb white drives bought 2-3 yrs back and had same issue....this is mostly with new PSU's don't know if it is AMD specific as had similar issue on a intel setup also and the easiest way is to get a good quality sata to sata adapter or molex to sata adapter.

I had 2 shucked WD 6tb white drives bought 2-3 yrs back and had same issue....this is mostly with new PSU's don't know if it is AMD specific as had similar issue on a intel setup also and the easiest way is to get a good quality sata to sata adapter or molex to sata adapter.

Latter helps for sure. The tape method also seems to work.

good quality sata to sata adapter or molex to sata adapter.
Which are difficult to find in Indian mkt at least. Only use molex to sata adapter which is crimped like below & not the molded injection type.

Crimped type molex to sata adapter, better & the recommended one.
1714281929779.png

Molded injection type molex to sata adapter, cheaper & more widely available one but also not recommended.
1714282110674.png

@nullpc @aasimenator

I recently bought two from Amazon and they worked perfectly. I'd suggest you to look there. I bought these, in the pictures they seem to be those cheapo ones but I got the crimped type.
Crimped type ones are good. By good quality I meant the white molex connector part. All such molex to sata adapters I have seen have their molex connector part wiring a bit loose which is not an issue as long as you install it once & forget it as repeatedly pulling it will eventually result in one of the molex connector wire coming out loose.

yeah molex pins tend to bend sideways inside the connector overtime. All my molex connectors are years old and their pins are wobbly but work fine as of now. Would replace them all soon.

From what i think, on moulded one's pins don't move like they would on the crimped one's. Haven't had any issue on those molded one's. That's my take and haven't had any issue so far

From what i think, on moulded one's pins don't move like they would on the crimped one's. Haven't had any issue on those molded one's. That's my take and haven't had any issue so far

Basically, you don't know what is going on inside a molded connector so during its manufacturing if the wires moved a bit closer then plastic between them would eventually melt with time due to heating leading to a short circuit like above. In a crimped connector chances of this happening are practically zero & you can visually see the separation between wires in a crimped connector.

Basically, you don't know what is going on inside a molded connector so during its manufacturing if the wires moved a bit closer then plastic between them would eventually melt with time due to heating leading to a short circuit like above. In a crimped connector chances of this happening are practically zero & you can visually see the separation between wires in a crimped connector.
Yeah, that is right. But i bought them locally and inspected them before buying so no issues.

and inspected them
How? The main reason why molded connectors are not recommended is because you can't visually inspect them as wires are surrounded by plastic unlike crimped connector where you can clearly see each wire is connected separately to the connector via those metal like pins visible on connector surface.

Hello everyone,

The package came in early :) Drives have been tested on a short test and have passed, all drives have 100% health and are of the same age.
They are still under WD Warranty for the next 2 years (expiring in 2026) but since these are not Indian drives but imported, and I don't know the region from where they are imported, You can consider them out of warranty (unless you know a way to get warranty from WD then it would be your gain)

Model: Western Digital UltraStar DC HC530
Capacity: 14TB
Cache: 512MB
Speed: up to 255 MB/s
Drive Type: CMR
Health: 100%
Power-on-Time: 1000+ DAYS
Condition: GOOD
Manufacturing Date: ~ 2020
Warranty: 7 Days Testing & DOA Warranty
Qty Available: 20
Price: Rs. 15000/- per drive

20240429_150356.jpg20240429_150352.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-29 163455.pngScreenshot 2024-04-29 163447.png

Last edited:
@aasimenator and to anyone else interested about the warranty.

The drives (atleast the one shown in the picture) are from China.

I was able to test the Serial Number from the drive that was in the photo.

You can test the serial number of the drive you get here.

WD has a few regions - APAC, China, US, Europe, Middle East, Africa AFAIK.

So choose a country that falls into a region and type in the serial number.

If it belongs to that region, you'll get a notification stating "In warranty" and the date.

Drive warranty with Mainland China selected as the country.

Screenshot_20240429_212511_Chrome.jpg

If it doesn't, you'll get status saying "out of region" but with the warranty valid till date.

The same drive but with US as the country this time.

Screenshot_20240429_212601_Chrome.jpg

You can ask WD to change warranty region, but I don't know what hoops you have to jump through to get them to do it.

Hope this helps.

Wish I could buy one of these, but it is not meant to be.

Last edited:
Back