LASIK - Do or Do not do

I am a spectacles wearer and was researching on the possibility of doing LASIK. My sister has recently done it and she is happy with that. I just wanted to see whether there are any TE members who has done that. Please pour in your suggestions. Specifically, I would like to get the following details from you folks

Date of surgery:

Power before surgery:

Power after surgery:

Days took to recover from the surgical aftereffect:

Place/center where you have undergone surgery:

Amount spent(including everything):

Experience at Center:

Most Recommended Center(by you):

Experience so far(without spectacles of course):

Any other comments:

For those who don't know what LASIK is please look at the link below

LASIK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

my age is 20 , and even i am waiting to get operated for LASIK, 5 yrs back doc told me tat my age has to be "ATLEAST" 21-22yrs.

waiting, waiting :( and still waiting .,,..

Date of surgery:
mid 2004
Power before surgery:
Power after surgery:
0 at that time, but was not stable before i went for it. Now stable at - 0.25 for 3-4years
itch like feeling

mumbai. Will retrieve info if you are planning in mumbai. Experience was good but dont know anything much
will have to dig for the bill. It wont hold true now
Experience at Center:
good
no ideas

Experience so far(without spectacles of course): good stable no issues
Any other comments:

LASIK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. [/QUOTE]

im 23 and my power is not stable even now. i have astigmatism (cylinderical power) too which has risen quite a bit recently. now, i plan to get a checkup every 6 months. if it gets stable for a period of 2 years, ill think about it.

One of my friends who underwent LASIK:

Power before: think it was -1

Power After: 0 !

After effects: slight irritating sensation for first 2-3 days...

Place: Vasan Eye Clinic ,Chennai

Duration of actual procedure: 5-10 mins

Cost: 38k

Experience at Centre: Good !

thetoxicmind said:
One of my friends who underwent LASIK:
Power before: think it was -1
After effects: slight irritating sensation for first 2-3 days...
Place: Vasan Eye Clinic ,Chennai
Duration of actual procedure: 5-10 mins
Cost: 38k
Experience at Centre: Good !

sorry but for -1.....damn...i guess he could have worked with it easily

i m also thinking to do same frm ojas bandra might get details out after a month have -5 steady power from past 3 years....lens helped in maintaining the number

NOw my frnd did it last year

Power before: think it was -6
After effects: slight irritating sensation for first 1 week
Place: Rushab Hospital chembur
Duration of actual procedure: no idea...i guess he said within 20-30 mins
Cost: 30k
Experience at Centre: Good

So although I have an Art degree and all that... by trade I have also been an Optician for the last 20 years or so too... geez go figure :p

Anyway.. I work with Optometrists regularly and this is my 2 cents.

If your eyes have not been stable for at least 5 years DON'T do it.
By stable I mean little to no Rx changes. There are bound to be small insignificant changes of .25 Diopters or so, but as long as you are generally stable, then think about it carefully.

Things you can count on:
Increased glare at night
Additional sensitivity or possibly drier eyes
Sensitivity to sunlight (more than before surgery)

There is no way to get around the age factor... and what I mean by that is this....
As we get older we always start needing more plus power as our eyes lose the ability to accommodate... this means reading glasses at about 40ish or slightly older. You will not escape this and so be prepared that you will at least need reading glasses at some point......

This is more significant than it sounds because eventually you will likely not be able to read without reading glasses, and for many at that point... it becomes easier to wear no line bifocals all the time rather than constantly taking glasses on and off all the time. This could put you back to square 1 if your primary goal is to just get out of wearing a correctionl and expect it to last indefinitely.

This now becomes a quality of life issue and can really depend on your Rx

If you are around a -1.00 or so, I would say it may not be worth it to you as you may even get some improvement at 40 plus (this related to the statement about getting more plus as we get older)

If you are a highly myopic or high hyperope .. for example a +/- 5.00 or above then it becomes, as I said, a quality of life issue. For people in these ranges that cannot get out of bed and see across the room, it can be rewarding as long as you know that for many, 10 years is the best you will get without having to possibly go back into some sort of small correction. ..... but for many with this types of Rx it is worth it.

Make sure you research the Dr you are considering, and ALWAYS ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion... you won't have a 2nd chance to do it over and ask your Dr how long he has been practicing and look and see how many good responses or recommendations he/she has.

First of all, Thank you for all those responded...

I have some questions though

My power is around -7 and it seems like the cylindrical power is getting varied every year or so. I heard that it changes according to the shape of the cornea. Does this mean, I do not have a stable power?
By stable I mean little to no Rx changes. There are bound to be small insignificant changes of .25 Diopters or so, but as long as you are generally stable, then think about it carefully.
Will these be that bad? I am ready to tolerate a little to remove the glasses:)
Things you can count on:
Increased glare at night

Are you saying that the plus and minus will cancel each other! I have been wondering the same throughout my life. But I thought that it won't.:S
There is no way to get around the age factor... and what I mean by that is this....
As we get older we always start needing more plus power as our eyes lose the ability to accommodate... this means reading glasses at about 40ish or slightly older. You will not escape this and so be prepared that you will at least need reading glasses at some point......

Very much agree to that:hap2:
Planning to do at Vasan Eye Care, Ernakulam(Cochin). Hope that they are good. It is the nearest place from my home. (But I am working at Chennai)
Make sure you research the Dr you are considering, and ALWAYS ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion... you won't have a 2nd chance to do it over and ask your Dr how long he has been practicing and look and see how many good responses or recommendations he/she has.

Sorry for asking so many questions :eek:hyeah:

Sorry , I accidentally used my friends login:S .

abintm said:

My power is around -7 and it seems like the cylindrical power is getting varied every year or so. I heard that it changes according to the shape of the cornea. Does this mean, I do not have a stable power?

Are you saying that the plus and minus will cancel each other! I have been wondering the same throughout my life. But I thought that it won't.:S

Planning to do at Vasan Eye Care, Ernakulam(Cochin). Hope that they are good. It is the nearest place from my home. (But I am working at Chennai)

mathew_p_a said:
I am a spectacles wearer and was researching on the possibility of doing LASIK. My sister has recently done it and she is happy with that. I just wanted to see whether there are any TE members who has done that. Please pour in your suggestions. Specifically, I would like to get the following details from you folks

Date of surgery:
Power before surgery:
Power after surgery:

Experience at Center:

Experience so far(without spectacles of course):
Any other comments:

LASIK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Lasik is a usefull surgeries but you should consider all the pros and cons before going for it. Let me explain in detali little later.

Renegade said:
Can I throw in my own question as well..
What is the max power beyond which LASIK is not possible?

Best results you would get in practical life between power -3 and -8. It also depends upon thickness of your cornea. some people are deemed unfit even if they have power -1.5 because of this cornea.

but this thing to be diagnosed well you have to consult an honest and good ophthalmologist who is hard to find in this money driven market.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
So although I have an Art degree and all that... by trade I have also been an Optician for the last 20 years or so too... geez go figure :p

Anyway.. I work with Optometrists regularly and this is my 2 cents.

By stable I mean little to no Rx changes.
There are bound to be small insignificant changes of .25 Diopters or so, but as long as you are generally stable, then think about it carefully.

Things you can count on:
Increased glare at night

This is more significant than it sounds because eventually you will likely not be able to read without reading glasses, and for many at that point... it becomes easier to wear no line bifocals all the time rather than constantly taking glasses on and off all the time. This could put you back to square 1 if your primary goal is to just get out of wearing a correctionl and expect it to last indefinitely.

If you are around a -1.00 or so, I would say it may not be worth it to you as you may even get some improvement at 40 plus (this related to the statement about getting more plus as we get older)

If you are a highly myopic or high hyperope .. for example a +/- 5.00 or above then it becomes, as I said, a quality of life issue. For people in these ranges that cannot get out of bed and see across the room, it can be rewarding as long as you know that for many, 10 years is the best you will get without having to possibly go back into some sort of small correction. ..... but for many with this types of Rx it is worth it.

excellent points there i have stressed few with red colour.

Dry Eye problem is really PITa problem if it happens.

abintm said:

Can you put your consecutive prescriptions of your last 2/3 years in chronological order.
Meaning you make a table with date / spherical power / cylindrical power / axis(degree) / vision acuity (number like 6/6, 6/9) for both eyes here then I can help you whether your eye sight is stable or not.

Your prescription if unchanged for last one year then it will give the best result.

When you under go LASIK you are bound to lose out on sharpness and contrast sensitivity of your vision.

So if you are in Industry / Field which requires highly precision vision like Graphics Design / Photography / RadioDiagnosis / and othere you are strictly advised not to go for it.

Dry eye or dryness of eyes happens to a certain extent to almost all the persons undergoing LASIK. If you happen to stay in AC or HEATER for a longer periods of time then you are bound to struggle with it.

Sunlight sensitivity is another problem reported but you can overcome it.

Personally speaking I would only advise it for cosmetic / troublesome psycho-social problems.

Those who have power less than 3 should not even think about it, go for better contact lenses which are available now a days.

I am an ENT surgeon and daily practice with an Ophthalmologist friend so first hand knowledge and I were spectacles day in and out since I was in 11th standard. My power is -1.75 both eyes stable for last 9/10 years.

Depend on how much astigmatism (cylindrical power) you have. Generally people with high amounts of astigmatism already have a glare problem... especially at night.

No I am not saying this at all... you MAY have SOME reversal...but it won't be significant with your powers at -7.00. For someone at a -1.00 or so... they may have enough reversal to not have to wear a distance Rx later in life.

You will have to do your own research here... I live in San Francisco CA :)

The nighttime glare is likely to be one of the biggest problems you will gain :)

what precautions does one need to take after LASIK?
and what are the risks involved?:ashamed:

I have -3.5 (R) and -2.75 (L) power, I'm 21
should I go for it?

Practically speaking...

It seems you are a little young.. If you are too keen to do and your power is stable, go for it... Better consult your ophthalmologist for this

As per my opinion, you may wait for a few more years.. one or two or three years, as the technology is increasing really faster. By that time it must be so improved that you may not know what has happened to your eyes.:cool2: I would have waited, but its already late(age):eek:hyeah:

$#@$#@nk said:
what precautions does one need to take after LASIK?

and what are the risks involved?:ashamed:

I have -3.5 (R) and -2.75 (L) power, I'm 21

should I go for it?

A thousand thanks going to PiXeL sir.:clap:Also tanks to medpal to highlighting all the points.:hap2:

I went to Vasan Eye care, did the preliminary test for a 1000 rupees with an additional consultation charge of 125 Rs.

Good ambiance. Nice staff. Cute beautiful lady Doctor:cool2:

Dr said that I will have my right eye fully corrected. But my left eye is having more power(-7.5) with 2.5 cylinder. She said that it may retain some power after surgery. She assured that vision will not be a trouble and glasses may be needed only for time when you do some job. She also indicated the possibility of full correction during the healing process.

After inspection, it has been said that my cornea is having enough thickness. She said that the normal corneal thickness that need to be retained for a healthy cornea is 250 micrometer. She is taking a margin of 40 and retaining 290 as the cornea will not regrow.

I need a slight clarification on the data she said on corneal thickness..

On the side effects frontier, I can live with added sensitivity to sunlight.. I will not go to sun much afterall...

But about the nightglare, in worse case,will it make trouble for night driving ?

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
Depend on how much astigmatism (cylindrical power) you have. Generally people with high amounts of astigmatism already have a glare problem... especially at night.

No I am not saying this at all... you MAY have SOME reversal...but it won't be significant with your powers at -7.00. For someone at a -1.00 or so... they may have enough reversal to not have to wear a distance Rx later in life.

You will have to do your own research here... I live in San Francisco CA :)

The nighttime glare is likely to be one of the biggest problems you will gain :)

Sounds like you have done your homework and things look good :)

If you need any glasses afterward, make sure you put on a good quality anti-reflective coating (Like Zeiss Teflon or Crizal Avance with Scotchguard) this will help with nighttime glare a lot.

Back