Latest TRAI Guideline: Better Internet Speeds

HailStonE

Skilled
Based on the above point, the following are the guidelines for ISPs:

1. Provide adequate information to subscribers regarding Internet/broadband services being offered and marketed as a good business practice.

2. Provide information regarding contention ratios (number of users competing for the same bandwidth) adopted for different services by service providers in their tariff plans submitted to TRAI, manual of practice, call centers and on their websites."

3. Publish contention ratio for different Internet/broadband services on their website quarterly to facilitate subscribers to take informed decision.

4. Ensure availability of minimum required bandwidth in their network according to maximum contention ratio suggested by TRAI for different services based on number of subscribers.

Since guidelines are recommendations, and in this case, it means there aren't any deadlines to meet by the ISPs to start adhering to these guidelines.

Moreover, it is mentioned in the guidelines issuance notification that "any regulatory burden in present economic environment of Internet sector may increase the cost of service provisioning and will adversely impact the growth of broadband. The Authority prefers least regulatory intervention while providing greater flexibility to service providers to ensure better quality of service to internet/broadband subscribers."

Therefore, subscribers cannot expect ISPs to be in a hurry to enlighten subscribers with the nitty-gritty of why they cannot be assured better broadband services.

So does this means we will be properly Fu@#ed by the ISP's since TRAI is in no mood to regulate in this economic downturn.... :mad:

Techtree.com India > News > Internet > Latest TRAI Guideline: Better Internet Speeds

a couple of years back TRAI was like "only speeds of 256 and above will be called as broadband" right? its about time to up the mark ? smth like 512 or 1 mbps :\

TRAI does what the lobbies of GSM and CDMA says .

they only come up with something for consumer when both lobbies fight

the biggest problem is the communication minister himself .

he is in so many controversies .

Maran was a lot better . seeing him u could feel confident

co owner of south india biggest Chanel network and no scandals on his name .

(no political thing here . i am from north india )

kuduku said:
TRAI does what the lobbies of GSM and CDMA says .
they only come up with something for consumer when both lobbies fight
the biggest problem is the communication minister himself .
he is in so many controversies .
Maran was a lot better . seeing him u could feel confident
co owner of south india biggest Chanel network and no scandals on his name .
(no political thing here . i am from north india )

+1.. Its the cartel of Indian ISP's who are getting all regulations in their favor... I totally believe these lobbyist pay bureaucrats under the table to keep shitty conditions for internet service in India...:mad:

The Minister of Telecommunications is a fool who does not understand the situation & might as well be hand in glove with these czars.... :S

racy1 said:
+1.. Its the cartel of Indian ISP's who are getting all regulations in their favor... I totally believe these lobbyist pay bureaucrats under the table to keep shitty conditions for internet service in India...:mad:

Looks that way :(

Here are the guidelines documents from TRAI's site..... :mad: :mad:

Attachments

• Guidelines2mar09.pdf
    60.9 KB · Views: 179
  • pr2mar09no21.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 185
So i guess this means that Airtel can continue to say they have TRAI's approval or no objection to their FUP.

Back