Monitors LCD Buying advice needed.

dsarosh

Adept
Hello guys,
I hope this is the correct place to post this topic.

I have been using a 17 inch LG 700S crt monitor for the past 4 years, and its working fine. But I am in sserious need of more screen space.

I needed your advice on how good lcds are compared to crts. I still read reports that crts are better for multimedia applications.

My primary use is software like photoshop, dream weaver, Adobe Acrobat professional, and Adobe photoshop elements.

What I need is switching between these applications a lot, and lot of text display. I dont do very high end stuff that would require great colors, etc.

So I need your advice about how good the current generation of LCDs are compared to my current crt which is already 4 years old.

I'm either buying a 19" lcd, or preferably 22" depending on price.

Any thoughts from you guys will be helpful, thanks.
Sarosh.

Depending on your budget people here can suggest you what you should buy . If you are not really into graphic designing then its safe to get 22" TN panels, price varies alot . LG 226WTQ has good reviews on many websites and is cheapest 22" i have seen . I just bought Dell ultrasharp 2208wfp few days ago and am satisfied with it .

We need your budget. If you want colour accuracy TN panels won't do, you need a IPS/MVA panel and those can be pricey.

Most of the panels sold here are TN panels. Decent TN panels are available from LG and Dell, the 22 inch LG 226WTQ for instance is quite good, Croma has a special offer on that, 12900 I think. However they are not recommended for photoshop work and absolute color accuracy.

This link should let you narrow down on the perfect LCD panel for your needs:

AnandTech - The LCD Thread

A couple of other good sites you can visit are tftcentral.co.uk and the display forum section at hardocp.com

Since color reproduction is important in your scenario, I'd suggest going for a non TN LCD panel.

I believe the 20" Dell 2007WFP is the only non TN panel available in India right now. I think its a S-IPS panel (please google to confirm)

I had asked Dell for a quotation and they gave a price of 16,800 @ B'lore (Inclusive of taxes and transportation).

That was out of my budget, so I got a 22" LG226WTQ TN panel @ 13,499 from Reliance Digital. Croma has it for a bit cheaper : 12,990 + a free 2GB flash drive, but they seem to be perennially out of stock on this item.

Reliance also has the 20" LG206WTQ @ 10,199, which is equivalent to the LG226WTQ, except a smaller size.

Coming from a 17" Samsung CRT, I'm frankly underwhelmed by the performance of my LCD monitor. What is most disappointing is its limited viewing angles, a classic issue with TN panels.

Before you buy a LCD monitor, use one at your friends who have it, so you can make an informed decisicion

:) ^^The current dell 2007wfp is probabaly not s-ips...Most likely pva...
They are doing what is commonly called as panel lottery:p
Still reputed to be a far better panel then TN types...
Have a look if you are a lot into color reproduction etc...

Thanks for your feedback guys,
I didnt mention my budget becaseu it is a bit flexible.
I would say about 10k to 15k, possibly little more.

Viewing angles will not be a problem for me. I have read a lot that still lcd panels are not as good as crts, but how bad are they really?
Will a new lcd be very bad compared to my currenct crt, or will it just be marginally worse. If it is a just a bit inferior then I can deal with it, because I need the screen space.

What I need is lot of switching between applications using alt+tab. Does the lcd screen lag/ghost while this happens?
Color production is not very vital, but how worse compared to my current crt can it get really?
Thanks a lot to all you guys agan.
Sarosh.

:) If 20 inches is enough for you then go for the dell 2007wfp..Should be closest to a crt..
But if you need more space you have to go to a inferior panel...then you have many options

I phoned my hardware guy today, and these are the options he has given me:

1) Acer 19 inch for Rs9600/-
2) Acer 22 inch for Rs.14000+ taxes

I dont buy hardware so often, so I need your advice about the acer brand.
I do use multimedia software a lot, but as long as I can read fonts as easily as on my crt and I can alt+tab between applications without ghosting/streaking etc, then I should be fine.

I have a 6800GT agp card, I think this card should be enough to run the monitor at its default res and refresh rate, it has dual dvi ports.

Le me know how you would rate the acer 19", because my choices here in Goa are bit limited, I cant get all the brands you can find in places like Bombay or banglore. So unless the acer 19" is a very bad lcd for Rs.9600/- I most probably will go ahead and buy it.
Ill be very glad to hear from you guys tonight itself.
Thanks a lot.
Sarosh.

I don't know about the acer 19" but the 22" isn't supposed to be very good. It was a decent buy when it was a couple of thousand bucks cheaper than everything else, but at 14k..about the price of most other 22"lcds, it just doesn't make sense.
Dell delivers the monitor straight to your house. Look in the group orders section, or go to the dell website and place your order there. For ordering a single piece, the price inclusive of all taxes will work out to less than 15k, just remember to bargain with the sales rep.

Can someone explain to me the issue with Wide Screen Monitors please.
If i get a WS monitor, will it be very bad to use with the applications I stated above?

Should I stay away from WS, or is it as easy to use with applications like photoshop, acrobat, etc.

If you are buying 19" then go for a square lcd . If you plan for 22" then definitely widescreen . Most applications you suggested will run well on widescreen , i myself have shifted from 15" crt to 22" LCD .. even though viewing angle problem is there but it is very less and most people wont even notice whle working/watching movies . 22" widescreen is definitely worth its prize . Movies look really great on widescreen monitors , some old games doesnt support widescreen resolutions so they look little stretched but its definitely playable .Most new games have support for widescreen resolutions s it's not really a problem now .
Lcd's are much better compared to 4 year old crt . I have my lcd and old crt monitor in extended desktop setup and colors on LCD are far better than CRT ( I am comparing with old crt's ) .

I recommend you go with dell , both 22" e228wfp as well as ultrasharp 2208wfp will be in ur budget ( check out the GO thread too ) . If you dont want to go for dell then LG 22" is far better compared to ACER 22" lcd ( as per reviews i have read on some sites ) .

Its hard to explain my exacty situation really. I dont upgrade hardware unless I absolutely need to.
My last upgrade was upgrading my Willamate 1.7Ghz to a 2.53Ghz Northwood.
I am still using an asus m/b with 266mhz ram and pata hard drives.

I would continue to use my current 17" crt for atleast 2-3 more years, but I am being offered upto 10,000Rs as a gift from a relative, and since I always felt I needed more screen space, I thought a bigger lcd would be the best bet.

I don't really need the best, so even if acer is not as good as dell, that is fine. How much worse compared to dell can the acer be anyway?
And besides, a new 19" Acer lcd cant be much worse than my 17" crt monitor, right.
And I have been running this monitor through a dvi-vga adapter, they say that affects quality.

I'm not one of the buyers who always demands the best, even if the product helps me get my work done, I will be happy.
So as long as there is no reason to avoid the acer 19", I will most probably buy it.

Thanks to all that participated.

I was talking about Acer 22" .. not sure about 19" . If you plan to buy Acer 22" then take a look at LG 22" , its definitely better than acer's 22" and is a bit cheaper compared to Acer's 22" . I am not sure about 19" ones .

I meant the dell 22" would be available to you in goa at about the same price as the acer, so it's a better buy.
If you're going for a 19inch, which model are you being offered? I looked at the acer india website and couldn't find a 19" widescreen.
You'll be connecting your monitor thru dvi..so the adapter wouldn't be needed.
Your rigs dated, but it's by no means slow. Anyway as long as it gets the job done, who cares whats under the hood, eh?

GO FOR LG L226WTQ...WHOOPS DELL easily! I BOUGHT LG...my frnd bought it..his friend bought it..my couzin bought it..my colleague bought 2 and my other couzin buying it..! no 2nd thought. Contrast Ration 3000:1 and dynamic 5000:1 no ghosting no nothing. Image quality and everything is awesome and amazing.

+100 for Lg L226WTQ
Bought it from Croma 12990/- on 14/01/08 after waing 10-15 days (coz it was not available at croma for so many days) and searching all shops at lamington Rd. DFC is 5000:1, Res time 2ms EZ, zooming.......

Hello Guys,
I purchased the Acer today anyway.
The model is Acer AL1916W wide screen, I can check the specs and let you know more if you want.
The response time is 5ms and contrast is 700:1.
I paid 8900Rs for this wide screen monitor.
Do you think it was a good buy?

dines said:
+100 for Lg L226WTQ

Bought it from Croma 12990/- on 14/01/08 after waing 10-15 days (coz it was not available at croma for so many days) and searching all shops at lamington Rd. DFC is 5000:1, Res time 2ms EZ, zooming.......

wow dude that's a cool price...i had heard abt ghosting problems with earlier versions of this LCD. I think it's resolved in newer versions. Does this LCD have a HDMI port?

Back