Video Lcd TVs 32 Inch bracket - sony vs samsung

Sidtrewq

Recruit
looking at the most competitive bracket in lcd tvs i have finally narrowed my choices down to 2 sets
1. Samsung 32a450 (series 4) --->36-37K
2. Sony KDL-32S2000----> around 40K

now there are a few queries that i had
1.) Since both are 1366*768 would a normal image resolution of 1280*720 on a 16:9 setup make the pixels appear rectangular or squarish and what effect will it have on the picture quality
2.) Reception and picture quality in terms of a hathway set box is not expected to be phenomenal but to get the best output should one be purchasing a dvd(1080i or 720p), hddvd(1080p), blue ray (on the mentioned sets)and why
3.) what is the difference in picture quality vis-a-vis 1080i or 720p dvd as both the sets support both the formats
4.) how does a full hd transmission (1920×1080p) run on the mentioned sets
5.) what kind of picture quality can i expect with a pc hooked up to the tv and a movie with the following specifications
Video: XVID 672x368 25.00fps 612Kbps [Video 0]
Audio: MPEG Audio Layer 3 44100Hz stereo 112Kbps [Audio ]

I will suggest Samsung. I heard Sony uses Samsung panel. Sony is charging high only for brand name. I am using Samsung which is performing very well

guys the LCD plant is owned by sony & samsung in 50:50 ratio

all sony or samsung LCD are same

just the name and software configuration differ

hardwares the same

In LCDs thats why both the companies never compare their hardware to each other .

if there is ant difference its only software based or how u access the LCDs features

Frankly with your budget of 35 to 40 k- for 32inch panel you should really take a look at

LG-32LG80FR a full HD with really excellent reviews and good sound at 35k

Samsung-LA32A550P1 full HD for 36-37k

hmm..yup ur rite..who wouldnt br lured towards buying a full hd compared to an hd ready at just 3-4k extra but m a bit bothered about the difference in contrast ratio

samsung LA32A550P1 quotes a ratio of 15000:1
but the downgraded samsung 32a450 - 30,000:1

what would be the difference in picture quality?

There is no standard Testing methodology to test contrast ratio of LCD by different manufacturer.

Would not be right going by the numbers here.

Sidtrewq said:
hmm..yup ur rite..who wouldnt br lured towards buying a full hd compared to an hd ready at just 3-4k extra but m a bit bothered about the difference in contrast ratio

samsung LA32A550P1 quotes a ratio of 15000:1
but the downgraded samsung 32a450 - 30,000:1

what would be the difference in picture quality?

well the samsung 32inch series 5,sony T series has a AMVA panel while the series 4 has a SMVA panel,while the sonys S,V series and samsung series 6 have a SPVA panel.
the SMVA based samsung series 4 doesnt have the contrast of series 5 AMVA,the samsung series 5 also has less color shift,while the sony S series has a SPVA panel the best of VA based tech,with impressive contrast.

again in 32inch unless u sit realy close or use it as a monitor u wont notice the benifits of FHD,but in a case like samsung series 4 vs series 5 i would pick the series 5 because of its AMVA panel alone,but if u add the sony S series it does a better job is SD content compared to samsung series 5 and has a SPVA panel so u get the least amount of color shift and great contrast,less input lag compared compared to samsung series 5.

stormblast said:
i wouldnt go for either.

panasonic owns both those tv's + panasonics are japanese s-ips panel.

well that tv with a panel of ips origin lacks the contrast of va based tv especialy spva based,while ips based tvs be it sips,aips etc are good for monitors,not so in the case of TVs,there are good debates in AVforums in UK,US majority conclude the SPVA is a better choice for tvs,followed by other VA tech like AMVA,SMVA which still has a huge contrast advantage then any known IPS based tv be it panasonic,lg,philips.

kuduku said:
guys the LCD plant is owned by sony & samsung in 50:50 ratio
all sony or samsung LCD are same

Sony & Samsung are about to dissolve their JV with Samsung taking sole control of the factory. Sony has already indicated that the new LCDs will be produced at SPDC, a JV between Sharp and Sony that will launch on April 1st. Dumb move IMO since Sharp isn't even in the top 5 LCD makers in the world.

gforce said:
Sony & Samsung are about to dissolve their JV with Samsung taking sole control of the factory. Sony has already indicated that the new LCDs will be produced at SPDC, a JV between Sharp and Sony that will launch on April 1st. Dumb move IMO since Sharp isn't even in the top 5 LCD makers in the world.

well sony will start using sharp panels only in about late 2010 since the new 10g factory is not even built.
well sharp was the leader in 2005 and before.

adder said:
well sony will start using sharp panels only in about late 2010 since the new 10g factory is not even built.

well sharp was the leader in 2005 and before.

Good for Sony. Guess the time is right to pick up a Sony branded, Samsung manufactured panel. It can only go down in 2010 since Sony is evidently trying to save on costs (read: cheapen their product line) by moving to Sharp.

Umm.. does the past even matter? Sony was the leader in most industries about 10 years ago and look where it is right now. Motorola was #2 in the cell world until about an year ago and look how its fortunes have changed in the course of the just 12 months. Heck, cheap Chinese knockoffs probably manage to earn a tidy profit but not Moto.

gforce said:
Good for Sony. Guess the time is right to pick up a Sony branded, Samsung manufactured panel. It can only go down in 2010 since Sony is evidently trying to save on costs (read: cheapen their product line) by moving to Sharp.

Umm.. does the past even matter? Sony was the leader in most industries about 10 years ago and look where it is right now. Motorola was #2 in the cell world until about an year ago and look how its fortunes have changed in the course of the just 12 months. Heck, cheap Chinese knockoffs probably manage to earn a tidy profit but not Moto.

well AFAIK sharp panels are more expensive then samsung,and sony was the leader in performance it was nevere a leader in sales except in 2006 took over the lead in lcd sales.sony is still the leader in performance in lcds.well only in about 2007 did samsung and sony panels had the contrast advantage compared to sharp,sharp tvs still have a good contrast more then any ips based panel ,sharp tvs are let down by their medicore image processing,i guess sony which is a japaneses manufacture wants to partner with another japaneses manufacturer like sharp,since although samsung and sony have a joint venture in lcds they are still rivals.
sony still has their in house OLEDs which are the future of flat panel.

Mate what are you talking about? Right until the year 2000-odd, Sony was the worldwide leader in TV sales. Their slump began about 5 years ago. Sony isn't the leader in performance as well; that crown goes to Pioneer's Kuro range.

The only reason why Sony is moving to Sharp is to lower their production costs since Sharp manufactured panels are cheaper. Samsung's 8th generation has the advantage of economics of scale and next generation N11 panels are far superior to Sharp's current lineup. In fact, Sony and Samsung had already signed a MoU to further invest in the next generation of LCDs at their plant in south korea before sony decided to chicken out and run toward sharp. Sony and Samsung being rivals doesn't really matter since Sharp is a competitor as well, yet Sony is gravitating toward them.

OLED is still some ways off. In fact, Samsung has clearly said that usable OLED displays are still 5 years away. Most manufacturers have several issues to overcome in terms of technology and production costs. If OLED were to go mainstream, Sony would have invested far more in their in-house lab to bring out larger "usable" displays rather than sign a MoU with Sharp for regular LCD panels. The current XEL-1 is nice but is certainly nowhere near groundbreaking. In fact, the XEL1 already suffers from dimming panels, which I believe has been acknowledged by Sony themselves.

gforce said:
Mate what are you talking about? Right until the year 2000-odd, Sony was the worldwide leader in TV sales. Their slump began about 5 years ago. Sony isn't the leader in performance as well; that crown goes to Pioneer's Kuro range.
if u read my post correctly i said sony is leader in performance in LCDS.well sony was high in sales mostly in us and japan,where as in other parts of the world in developing nations they werent leading since sony tvs cost a lot.but yes its is different now,sony is struggling,with tough competition.

The only reason why Sony is moving to Sharp is to lower their production costs since Sharp manufactured panels are cheaper. Samsung's 8th generation has the advantage of economics of scale and next generation N11 panels are far superior to Sharp's current lineup. In fact, Sony and Samsung had already signed a MoU to further invest in the next generation of LCDs at their plant in south korea before sony decided to chicken out and run toward sharp. Sony and Samsung being rivals doesn't really matter since Sharp is a competitor as well, yet Sony is gravitating toward them.
well like i said before sony would be happy partnering with a fellow japanese rival it will help its economy then a korean company such as samsung,since sony still has a good share in the market since most of the tv it sells is still helping samsung in one way or other.

OLED is still some ways off. In fact, Samsung has clearly said that usable OLED displays are still 5 years away. Most manufacturers have several issues to overcome in terms of technology and production costs. If OLED were to go mainstream, Sony would have invested far more in their in-house lab to bring out larger "usable" displays rather than sign a MoU with Sharp for regular LCD panels. The current XEL-1 is nice but is certainly nowhere near groundbreaking. In fact, the XEL1 already suffers from dimming panels, which I believe has been acknowledged by Sony themselves.
well oled will become affordable in about 4 years time,that is a long time away, but no denying it is better appart from the current low life of OLED panel i.e they loose their brightness fast,currently they have a life close to 20000hrs which is good for 6+years 8hrs a day viewing compared to lcd backlight which have a life of around 60000+hrs.
so even if sony or any other manufacturer pour lots of money into reasearch in improving OLED life it wont happen overnight it takes some years,so in the meantime sony just cant sit idle hence they partnered with sharp,again there are many reasons for that we arent sure whats the exact reason.

absolutely right. IPS panels will provide very natural colours, but contrast is not much. check this thread too.
http://www.techenclave.com/consumer-electronics/looking-for-a-32-lcd-tv-126055.html

adder said:
well that tv with a panel of ips origin lacks the contrast of va based tv especialy spva based,while ips based tvs be it sips,aips etc are good for monitors,not so in the case of TVs,there are good debates in AVforums in UK,US majority conclude the SPVA is a better choice for tvs,followed by other VA tech like AMVA,SMVA which still has a huge contrast advantage then any known IPS based tv be it panasonic,lg,philips.

Back