LED vs PLASMA

Hi Guys,

Finally going to do a purchase today. Wanted to buy 55" LED, but because of budget constraints at the moment need to reduce screen size to 42".

Now, i know LED is better than LCD, but what when it comes to LED vs Plasma, few veterans say that Plasma is better.

Need your hep here. Please advice, what the actual difference is ??

Budget - 35K ( will buy LED next Diwali, so dont want to spend much at the moments.

Also i have heard that PANASONIC PLASMAz are the best, if wrong pls correct.

Request you to mention Key points to look for like refresh rate, panel, etc :-

Also, pls mention model numbers and expected price.

P.S. - Need to buy in Udaipur, no chroma & other electronic chains available.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Do check these deals :-

FutureBazaar: Discover great deals in Laptops, Mobiles, Computers, Electronics, Home Fashion and Clothing

Plasma has great Contrasts, but suffer from some issues like burn-in's (something to consider in gaming) and requires more power as compared to LED/LCD.

LED on the other hand provides less power consumption and slimmer form factor. also Blacks on LED is grayer opposed to Plasma where its true black.

Plasma is considerably cheaper than LED and is available in sizes upwards of 60"

In 35k, the best option you have is Samsung 43D450 (~36k). This is a 43" plasma with resolution of 1024*768. Now I know you will think this is crappy resolution...but go to store and take demo...the color reproduction on this is awesome! If you can spend 5-7k more, you can go for 43D490 (~42k) which is same as the previous one but is also 3D and current Diwali offer gives you 2 3D glasses free.
Other option is Panasonic 42X20D I think..and also maybe 42U20D. Both are Full HD (1080p) models but the picture quality of Samsung's is better. The only major issue with Samsung models is reflection. So check that in store before you decide to buy. Otherwise both Samsung models are VFM if yo wanna go for plasma and are on tight budget.

I would prefer a full HD. Will go to a samsung dealer today ( know him personally, so will try to get a good price for 43D490 ).

On other thought, PLASMA is better than LCD, right ??

Also, i would play .mkv format BB rips ( 10 GB 1080p prints using a WD or Asus O player), so what about 5.1 sound ? How would i get that ???

If you explore the grey market you can get a Sony 40" tv (or a samsung depending on the place).

The low end plasma and most if not all samsung plasma cannot match the contrast of tvs from Sony or samsung be it in deep blacks or bright whites.
Further more low end plasma have rather poor anti glare measures,so their real world contrast is much lower if you have light directly hitting the screen the images will look washed out.

All 40" lcds are FHD 1920x1080 ,low end plasma have a resolution of 1024x768 or if its higher in size it would have 1366x768.

Back