Legend or Nokia X6 or Spica or N97 mini

Guys,
I am looking for a replacement of my old Nokia phone (its become embarassing). Although money is not a cause of major concern but I have this mental limit of not spending more than 22-24k for a phone max. I can always extend budget if need be, but I would rather we focus on this budget, as even if I do buy a phone worth 30k, it would be retailing at 20k 6 months down the line, unless its an iphone. Having said that, Iphone 4g launch nearing, I dont want to go anyway near 3gs.

So what do I need a phone for? Criteria below:

1) Looks and form factor high on agenda
2) Occasional messaging applications
3) Occasional web browsing
4) Decent camera
5) SMS

As you can see its not really a application intensive usage. But point 5 tells me I should consider a Qwerty. As no matter what ppl say about capacitive this, capacitive that, still no other phone in market comes close to iphone when it comes to touch screen.

Now folks will say go for the spica, which I dont mind, but after having waited so long for the phone, I want my phone to make a lil statement. So unless all other phones mentioned here dont fit the bill, I would rather you recommend some sexy phone. Is it worth waiting for Nokia C6?

And Symbian vs Android, without going in details, I am quite ok with Symbian as my usage wont make me extract the potential of Android to the limit.:huh:

your requirements for a phone EXACTLY match mine. those five points to the dot, I posted a very similar question two days back but yours was explained in a much better way

Anyways, my budget was a lil lower so I ended up buying the Nokia X6. Even though I got a lot of negative reviews about it not being an android and symbian this and that, "And Symbian vs Android, without going in details, I am quite ok with Symbian as my usage wont make me extract the potential of Android to the limit."

Nokia X6, lookswise kicks Legends ass in my opinion. Get the 16 GB one

piyush_888 said:
Nokia X6, lookswise kicks Legends ass in my opinion. Get the 16 GB one

I am one of many that moved from Symbian to Android and Android is like a whole new experience. Things that Symbian does, Android does in a much better manner and some things that Android, Symbian cannot even spell them properly.

And this is one main reason why Nokia is going to keep Symbian for entry level phones and they are trying various things for smartphones. So, spending 20k bucks on Nokia X6 is utter waste of money and useless.

in gsmarena's words:

That focus should be the software on their smartphones, of course. The S60 UI is neither user-friendly nor attractive enough to rival the best in class. The core functionality is all there but when we are talking about that much money, only covering the basics just doesn't cut it.

The Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, 5530 XpressMusic and the 5230 might be placed in a much lower segment but they do match most of the X6 functionality and cost a lot less. If you are willing to sacrifice some screen estate and GPS (5530) or Wi-Fi (5230) and a couple of megapixels of image resolution (5230) you can save yourself more than half the money and get the same software package, even with the Comes with music goodies (5235).

Even for looks, am pretty sure that the boxy design of X6 is inferior to Legend's stunning unibody design.

In short, I can just click on a contact from Android's "People" menu and link the contact to their gmail ID and either send sms or call or send email or tweet or IM ping. Similarly, I can take a photo and immediately share it on facebook/flickr/twitter/gmail/mail/picasa/blogging site/plurk. Also, the amount of apps that are available in Android market (most of them free) is matched only by Apple AppStore. Not to forget the specs.

here are the areas of design and h/w where Legend is better than X6:

1) Thinner

2) AMOLED display

3) Multi Touch

4) 3x times RAM

5) 2x faster 3G

6) 50% faster processor

7) unibody design (stronger build)

8) optical trackpad

@OP, Please please avoid Symbian unless your budget is less than 15k. as I said earlier, I felt why I didn't move to Android earlier (was using 5800XM) when I started using HTC Legend.

If you go till 30k and if you want qwerty, look no further than Motorola Milestone. 3.7" display and Android with qwerty keypad makes it one hell of phone. This phone is so good that it single handedly turned Motorola's fortunes.

PS: a phone looks good doesn't mean it's a great phone.

Ok guys, narrowed it down between Legend and Spica. One at 12k and the other at 22k. Any suggestions, specially in regards to typing SMS etc.

P.S. For factor/style/looks are an important part of any phone buying decision

^^ SPica is android at a decent price and it also meets ur req. albeit with lesser amount of features. As u mentioned 6 months later maybe u can invest the extra money and get an iPhone 4g :)

techcheat said:
Ok guys, narrowed it down between Legend and Spica. One at 12k and the other at 22k. Any suggestions, specially in regards to typing SMS etc.

P.S. For factor/style/looks are an important part of any phone buying decision

I checked both and Spica looks dumb next to Legend. The build and HTC sense UI takes Legend to a whole new level and I personally felt that it's worth the extra 10k and went for Legend.

Check this video YouTube - HTC Legend - Video Promo and go to 0:35 sec mark and you will understand why I picked Legend over spica/galaxy :)

my advice for you is to go to a store and take a look at both.

techcheat said:
^^ Will I be able to play divx on Legend?

tried it but is too slow. the existing apps (in android market) are not render properly. Hardware is powerful enough to play divx.

am waiting for core player 2.0 (for android) which should be able to play divX properly.

samsung spica IMO supports DivX

Of all the phones u have listed, I have used the X6, the Spica & the N97Mini.....

So, here is my opinion:

1) X6: There is practically no difference between the 5800XM & the X6 except for the Capacitive screen, 16/32GB Memory & the 5MP camera. Build quality is amongst the worst on a Nokia. The back cover is like those cheap battery covers on China made toys!!

2) Spica: Still have this phone, it is an excellent phone to be with. My first phone after I ditched the Nokia brand! Android 2.1 is obviously way better than Symbian. Excellent build quality. The Spica inspired me to go for the Android based Moto Milestone.

3) N97 Mini: Again, this is essentially a 5800XM with a slide out QWERTY keypad. Build Quality is decent. U get an excellent bundle which includes car charger & car dock. But, I seriously don't think that it is anywhere as appealing as the N97. Looks more like a cheap chinese miniature clone of the bigger N97.

Now, I haven't actually used the Legend but had a chance to feel it for some time & I think it is the best bet amongst the phones you have listed.

Or else, you may consider the Motorola Milestone..... (Beware, I am not sure about Motorola's future in India & i purchased the phone only coz I change my phones every 6 months or so.).

Motorola Milestone is actually doing very well in terms of sales, there are news that is comprable to iPhone -which sells in millions.Plus, the built quality of milestone is solid.

desiibond said:
I am one of many that moved from Symbian to Android and Android is like a whole new experience. Things that Symbian does, Android does in a much better manner and some things that Android, Symbian cannot even spell them properly.
Can you list a few of those things?

Gaurish said:
Motorola Milestone is actually doing very well in terms of sales, there are news that is comprable to iPhone -which sells in millions.Plus, the built quality of milestone is solid.

Can you list a few of those things?

1) first and most important, response to touch.

2) app market

3) integration to social networking sites

4) multi home screen setup (helps a lot for widget usage and if there are huge number of apps)

5) superior messaging section. texts are sorted as contact based timeline which is very convenient to use

6) People section (contacts), where you can link contact to sites like facbook, flickr and get updates from those sites. also use online directories on facbook, flickr, plurk, twitter for contacts

7) freedom to customize the OS at will (for handset manufacturers). look at Sense UI on legend and you will understand the depth.

8) <<sarcastic>> no need to double tap on menu icons like it is done on S60 touch UI :)

9) unified search which search phone (contacts, notes, emails etc) and if goes online if not found on phone and performs search online.

10) notification area. get notifications for mails, twitter, facebook, sms, gtalk in one place.

these are just a few. You ask any tech reviewer and they say same thing that Symbian is history and is not meant for touch mobiles.

a simple way to say this it by showing : http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_htc_and_motorola_increase_smartphone_market_share_-news-1642.php

Nokia's market share in smarphone area is declining really fast (they lost 14pc in three years)and everyone is eating into it. And once iphone 4.0 and BB 6.0 is out, it's bye bye Nokia. It's a shame that they abandoned Maemo which was shaping up really well. God save them in this area.

And finally, check these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1UggvY1vsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfkxNwhKtHU

and after all these years of hype around Symbian 3, all they could get is a kiddish OS and that too gets delayed till June/July.

desiibond said:
1) first and most important, response to touch.

That's Dependant on type of touch screen hardware used. it does not depend on platform.

2) app market

There is Ovi and hundered of other third party sites where you can get apps for Symbian.sure, number of apps are less but there are apps for almost all common uses. Till data, For whatever function I wanted in my phone - I found a app that does that.

3) integration to social networking sites

6) People section (contacts), where you can link contact to sites like facbook, flickr and get updates from those sites. also use online directories on facbook, flickr, plurk, twitter for contacts

Already there!There are dedicated apps present for facebook,Twiitter,yotube etc. for example,facebook app is better than mobile version of site

For 'Social Contact' - I use Socially which does that integration with phone contacts

4) multi home screen setup (helps a lot for widget usage and if there are huge number of apps)

5) superior messaging section. texts are sorted as contact based timeline which is very convenient to use

7) freedom to customize the OS at will (for handset manufacturers). look at Sense UI on legend and you will understand the depth.

Yeah, I agree android does have upper hand here

8) <<sarcastic>> no need to double tap on menu icons like it is done on S60 touch UI :)

I Wonder, why don't they change this behavior, should be easy.

9) unified search which search phone (contacts, notes, emails etc) and if goes online if not found on phone and performs search online.

Already There!

There is default Search on homescreen which does that/

these are just a few. You ask any tech reviewer and they say same thing that Symbian is history and is not meant for touch mobiles.

I agree. Symbian is not meant for Touch screen phones and it does not look good, even the experience is not that seemless but the damn thing works. It gets your tasks done. so essentially its question about getting bling-bling UI

It's a shame that they abandoned Maemo which was shaping up really well. God save them in this area.

Maemo is NOT dead, it just got sidetracked

PS: Symbian can do everything that iPhone os or Android does. Plus it does Flash:p

Gaurish said:
That's Dependant on type of touch screen hardware used. it does not depend on platform.

then why are tech reports saying that symbian S60 on X6's capacitive touch not so fluid?

Gaurish said:
There is Ovi and hundered of other third party sites where you can get apps for Symbian.sure, number of apps are less but there are apps for almost all common uses. Till data, For whatever function I wanted in my phone - I found a app that does that.

ovi store is nothing compared to Android market. I found it much easier to work with android market than ovi store and also the quality and quantity of apps in android market is much better.

Gaurish said:
Already there!There are dedicated apps present for facebook,Twiitter,yotube etc.

For 'Social Contact' - I use Socially which does that integration with phone contacts

having the functionality integrated into the OS/UI is always much better than dedicated apps, isn't it? trust me, there is huge difference in using gtalk on android when compared to apps like nimbuzz/fring on symbian. Moreover, these apps are allowed to use OS'es notificaiton methods (like vibrate or ring).

Gaurish said:
Already There!

There is default Search on homescreen which does that/

Gaurish said:
I agree. Symbian is not meant for Touch screen phones and it does not look good, even the experience is not that seemless but the damn thing works. It gets your tasks done.

Symbian can do everything that iPhone os or Android does. Plus it does Flash:p

when one is paying 20k bucks for a smartphone, getting tasks done is not enough. It should do more than that. And why to spend 20k-24k for a phone when the same tasks can be done by a phone that costs 7k and does it in same way.

Android 2.2 'Froyo' and Flash run like butter on Nexus One (video) -- Engadget

as I said earlier, things that symbian can do, Android does in a much better way and I think I gave you enough proof.

personally, I liked Symbian a lot but problem is that Nokia is clinging onto this platform for too long and it's hurting the company, both sales and future. I reviewed maemo 5 and it was amazing smartphone OS and I was kind of furious when Nokia announced that they are instead going with MeeGo with Intel.

Gaurish said:
Maemo is NOT dead, it just got sidetracked

what is the guarantee that Meego will stay? what happens if Intel pulls off from this? these kind of combined works have failed before and are pretty unreliable.

I think spending 25k for Nexus One is better than spending 22k on a Legend.
Also personally i wud prefer a Legend/Desire/Nexus One over Milestone cuz we cannot till now flash cust roms on Milestone (afaik)

hellgate said:
I think spending 25k for Nexus One is better than spending 22k on a Legend.
Also personally i wud prefer a Legend/Desire/Nexus One over Milestone cuz we cannot till now flash cust roms on Milestone (afaik)

I guess that is true.....

But afaik, flashing custom ROMs voids the warranty.....

desiibond said:
then why are tech reports saying that symbian S60 on X6's capacitive touch not so fluid?
Maybe be The commenting UI of Symbian which isn't that fluid
ovi store is nothing compared to Android market. I found it much easier to work with android market than ovi store and also the quality and quantity of apps in android market is much better.
I don't agree because Honestly, I never felt any lack of apps. but then maybe its just me:p
having the functionality integrated into the OS/UI is always much better than dedicated apps, isn't it? trust me, there is huge difference in using gtalk on android when compared to apps like nimbuzz/fring on symbian
Yes, True.Integration is good with native apps.
that level of Integration is very difficult to achieve with third party apps but it can be done

Moreover, these apps are allowed to use OS'es notificaiton methods (like vibrate or ring).
Actually, Apps in Sybian CAN use notificaiton methods (like vibrate or ring) Check Skype App for example.Its excellent app. It does ring,Vibrate and all other things which a native app does. A Skype Call looks no different that normal Phone call done in Dailer App.
Nice...they are catching up. Still there are many things missing from android which Symbian has like Python Support.wonder how long it would take to catchup:tongue:

personally, I liked Symbian a lot but problem is that Nokia is clinging onto this platform for too long and it's hurting the company, both sales and future.
Yeah, same thing. I would kick Symbian for Android or iPhone anyday. But sticking because of the value it gives me. using 5800 and its got every feature a modern smartphone should have mail & calendar with sync, full html browser(Social networking),Good connectivity(3g,wifi), storage(>=8Gigs),lots of apps,good music player, etc just at a cheaper price. whereas Android or iPhone are costly with comparable features would cost much more.

what is the guarantee that Meego will stay? what happens if Intel pulls off from this? these kind of combined works have failed before and are pretty unreliable.

That time will tell, why speculate :p

desiibond said:
Yes. N1 for 25k s good choce if you are least bothered about warranty. Also for qwerty addicts, milestone wiu android 2.1 is a perfect companion.

Last i checked with my dealer, the N1 was priced at 29k Grey.....

So, I got the milestone for 29.5k with bill......

Now, If one is getting the N1 for 25k, I guess I need to get one as well!!! :eek:hyeah:

Or maybe I should wait for the Desire's prices to settle down a bit...... :S

Back