Lenovo Panama P700i is a dual core handset with a massive battery

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
Lenovo recently announced an entire lineup of smartphones powered by Android 4.0 ICS for India. The lineup covers entry level devices all the way to high end, as well as a phablet device (the entry level device runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread, sadly). More details on the Lenovo Panama P700i, which is a mid range device gets revealed. The handset will be available for purchase at a budget price soon.
Lenovo Panama P700i

The Lenovo Panama P700i is a mixture of many features, and an interesting mixture at that. Packing a dual core processor and a humongous 2,500 mAh battery, the smartphones mixes the modest hardware with a relatively small (these days) 4" IPS WVGA display (800*480), running atop Google's 2011 Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. Have a look at the complete specifications.
Lenovo Panama P700i Full Specifications

• Mediatek MTK 6577 chipset
  • 1 GHz dual core ARM Cortex A9 CPU
  • PowerVR SGX531 GPU
  • 4" IPS WVGA display (800*480)
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 4 GB internal storage, micro SD card slot
  • 5 MP rear camera, 720p video recording
  • 0.3 MP VGA front camera, video calling
  • 2,500 mAh battery, 22 hours talk time over 3G
  • 167 grams weight, 12.8 mm thick
  • Android 4.o ICS

The specifications are pretty decent, yet the same standard repetition that we are seeing in all budget dual sim Android smartphones running on ICS in India. Take any brand (Indian mostly) and you'll get near identical phones. Kinda like what Samsung is doing with it's own (milked out Galaxy) line up of Android smartphones, only there are multiple manufacturers here. That said, the Panama P700i does have an IPS display going for it.

The most striking feature that will perhaps (be the only reason) let the smartphone stand out is the huge 2,500 mAh battery at it's back. Promising 22 hours of talk time (that's talk time only) on 3G network, battery is not going to be of concern for users of this smartphone. However, trade offs have been made to achieve that, in the form of 167 grams weight and 12.8 mm thickness (many people, especially lovers of super slim and light phones might have just died reading that. I'm not to be held responsible in any way whatsoever).

It all boils down to the price at which the phone is priced. The phone doesn't have a lot going for it, so only if it's priced right (which we believe is in the Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 12,000 range), this phone can become an interesting phone for a lower mid-range android.

" if it’s priced right (which we believe is in the Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 12,000 range)" .... Looks like it is... http://mobiles.sulekha.com/lenovo_ideaphone-p700i_mobile.htm

Back