Laptops Lenovo ThinkPad T430 for $740 + 10k shipping/customs. Good deal?

Please let me know how the relative had it shipped to India.
1. Did the relative use the same packing in which it came from Lenovo, or did he pack it differently for international shipping?
2. Which courier did he use?
3. Did he have to take some special preparations before sending it to India? For example, I believe the invoice has to be pasted on the outside of the box for the customs.
4. Also, did he pay the custom's duty in advance to the courier?
5. And in India, did the courier deliver it to you or did they hand it over to some third party?
6. How many days it took from US to your home, once the relative shipped it?
7. Did you get the RAM also shipped along with the laptop or was it send separately? If separate, how much was the shipping cost and customs duty?

Hey Unni, apologies for the late response.
  • I got the laptop here via ppobox.com, which is a freight and mail forwarding company based out of Mumbai. Lenovo webstore, unfortunately does NOT ship to freight forwarding companies, so I had it shipped to my relative, who in-turn shipped it to ppobox's NY office in the same packaging it came in.
  • My relative shipped it via UPS to the NY office
  • I paid a total of Rs.8300 towards insurance, shipping and duty. ~Rs.3200 for shipping and handling, ~Rs.4800 for custom duty and another Rs.550 for Insurance.
  • I undervalued the laptop on ppobox from $692 without tax to $499.99. I took a chance doing this, I can't confirm if it will work for you, you could also get fined if you're caught.
  • I bought the ram seperately from newegg.com

Thanks very much. Sorry for troubling you, but I have few more questions...

Is it not required to have the invoice pasted outside the package so that the customs can see? Or was the invoice inside the packing? Was there any sign that the customs officers had opened the package?

Thanks very much. Sorry for troubling you, but I have few more questions...

Is it not required to have the invoice pasted outside the package so that the customs can see? Or was the invoice inside the packing? Was there any sign that the customs officers had opened the package?

Lenovo didn't ship it with a receipt, only a shipping and content slip.

No they had not opened the box

Lenovo didn't ship it with a receipt, only a shipping and content slip.

No they had not opened the box

Thanks. I will do the math and see if there will be a considerable saving and decide whether to buy from India or US. It looks like there will not be much savings if we are declaring the actual value. :(

Thanks. I will do the math and see if there will be a considerable saving and decide whether to buy from India or US. It looks like there will not be much savings if we are declaring the actual value. :(

I made a mistake while writing my response earlier.
I paid a total of 8500 towards shipping, tax and insurance
  • ~Rs.3200 for shipping and handling
  • ~Rs.4800 for custom duty and another
  • ~Rs.550 for Insurance.
Considering I bough a Thinkpad T430 with a killer configuration for 41K and that the same configuration here would have costed over a lakh, I didn't mind paying 8k towards shipping and customs

Back