User Review Lenovo y510p "A Budget gaming Lappy"

Model: lenovo y510p
Purchase date : 22/10/2013
Price: Rs 75,200/-
Store: local lenovo dealer.

Price includes:( apart from laptop and charger.)
*Rs 5000/- value voucher.
*And 2yrs warranty accidental.( not confirmed till date, but dealer said so.will let you know once it is confirmed.)
*A back pack from lenovo.
Specifications:
# i7 4th gen 4700QM (better than 4702qm for gaming 200mhz faster)
# Nvidia gt 755m Gpu.( its writen 750m alover, but i will show you the screen shots below in review.)
# 1 Tb Hdd @ 5400 rpm.
# JBL speakers.
# backlite keyboard.
# Full HD 1080p led Backlite screen. (Best in the class brightness)
# DVD drive tray load.
# 8 Gb ddr3 2 1600mhz Ram.
# Dolby home theater v4.0
# 130w charger
# Ultrabay for Sli gpu / another hdd / dvd drive.
# Always on USB 2.0
# 2 usb 3.0 ports.
# vga display port, hdmi display port.
# ethernet port RJ 45.
# HD camera.
# 2 array microphones.
#1 headphone and one mic jack.

Coming to the Box packing:
# The box comes in black with lenovo marking on it.

fipq.jpg

h8sj.jpg

Content of the box: A.laptop. B.Charger 130w. C.Manuals.
Thats it no windows/driver CD or DVD nothing.
Earlier i was using Dell XPS L502x it came with windows installation dvd and driver cd.
# Laptop comes with brush metal finish.Looks cool but finger prints come on easy.
51h5.jpg

Build quality: It looks good.No sound whats so ever. on using or even shaking it.
Thickness : its is quite thin for a gaming laptop. the pic show 5 rupee coin compariosion on thickest end.Also can compare with the usb ports sizes.
bbmy.jpg

Performance:
nn8u.png

I have not tested any games on this but will uplaod the gameplay vids on youtube soon.
The startup is fast. equivalent to my older dell xps.
Performance wise its super smooth, everything is blazing fast.
But then again only gaming could tell the difference.
By the way it has nvidia gt 755m, not 750m as mentioned on lenovo website and other sites
qtce.jpg

The windows score is 5.9 because of aero graphics and hdd, gaming graphics is 6.9

9jua.jpg

Keyboard: It has very good feel while typing. though its a membrane keyboard. but feels good on pressing keys, better than dell xps L502x.
Backlite on keys looks good in red but white color would have been better , as per my opinion.
Only problem was the keyboard has full set on numeric keys too. on a 15 in laptop its a it cosy. but will get use to it without much difficulty.
oh38.jpg

Trackpad : This the part where this laptop falls short.
The track pad is a bit difficult to use,. there are no separate keys for right and left click.

Screen: Its Full HD 1080p,
Looks very bright ,much brighter than my previous dell xps 15 L502x.
Color production is very good.
Sound: This too has JBL speakers as my older dell xps. this has dolby home theater v4
But, the quality is better than xps, the sound is sharp very clear treble,and distinct bass.
Sound stage is good.
Battery backup: I have not tested it heavily.But on normal surfing from full charge it lasted for around 4 hrs on web surfing with 80% brightness and high performance setting.
Ultrabay: This is an amazing feature for a laptop.
With this one can use extra hdd/ gpu/ dvd.
I'm planing to go for sli in near future.
The dealer told me another 755m gpu csts around Rs16000/-
But have to buy additional chager of 170 w, as it would require more power.

So, my overall review for this laptop is :
" The best budget Gaming Laptop in India" as The Asus ROG & Alienwares are too costly.
And in 755m sli mode this is equivalent to gtx 770m( from google)

For any querries kindly contact me via pm

Good review :)
Amend this with some game reviews and other CPU and graphics intensive works results.

Last edited:
No gaming review on a Gaming Lappy?
Do some benchmarkings and post FPS of some games, which would be a true review for a gaming Lappy.

Have uploaded a game play testing of Grid 2 on this laptop.
The link goes here:

Everything was maxed out @ 1080p resolution.giving average frames of 27-28 per sec.
The new drivers 331.58 is used.
If someone wants more games tested on this laptop,then he/she may ask for it.

Last edited:
I've added one more gameplay testing on youtube.
Call of Juarez : gunslinger 2013. on lenovo y510p.
Running @ 60 fps avg. @ 1080p maxed out settings

How hot does it get? Does it throttle?
I ran Grid 2 for about an hour, and there was no lag what so ever.
The heat dissipation system in this laptop is really good.
Its really hot on the vents, but the keyboard was cool, not warm even.Couldn't record the temps, but the feel was a bit cooler than my dell xps l502x with gt 540m.
And this beast never throttles.
I think the throttling is the issue with ultrabook, which are very compact, not with the normal sized laptops.

Last edited:
I've been saying this since a long time, the GPU in this laptop is an ultra bay and has a heat sink of its own.

So no heating. People don't listen to me and spend 50k-1 lakh more on alienwares, dell's and sonys for same configuration..

I've been saying this since a long time, the GPU in this laptop is an ultra bay and has a heat sink of its own.

So no heating. People don't listen to me and spend 50k-1 lakh more on alienwares, dell's and sonys for same configuration..
You are right that this laptop has no heating issues with it, but the gpu here is not an ultrabay. its inbuilt, . but you can add another gpu via ultrabay.
Currently it has optical drive in the ultrabay slot.
If you want a details video on its ultrabay i can do that.[DOUBLEPOST=1383251362][/DOUBLEPOST]one more video game testing :
Splinter cell : Blacklist 2013.
Doing avg. 26fps on ultra settings 2 1080p resolution.
Mn. 23- max 32 fps.
The link goes here:

IIRC 500p didn't had optimus meaning it couldn't switch between IGP n dedicated GPU. Is this thing sorted in 510p?

IIRC 500p didn't had optimus meaning it couldn't switch between IGP n dedicated GPU. Is this thing sorted in 510p?
Y510p has nvidia optimus.Its there in the nvidia driver panel.[DOUBLEPOST=1383476878][/DOUBLEPOST]I have just updated to windows 8.1
And installed the driver 331.65
It seems to improve the performance in grid 2. around in some stages its giving 35-39 fps, and others its 27-32 fps.
winows 8.1 has directx 11.2, and this card it supported for directx 11.2.
This might be the cause. Don't know actually.

Last edited:
Model: lenovo y510p
Purchase date : 22/10/2013
Price: Rs 75,200/-
Store: local lenovo dealer.

Price includes:( apart from laptop and charger.)
*Rs 5000/- value voucher.
*And 2yrs warranty accidental.( not confirmed till date, but dealer said so.will let you know once it is confirmed.)
*A back pack from lenovo.
Specifications:
# i7 4th gen 4700QM (better than 4702qm for gaming 200mhz faster)
# Nvidia gt 755m Gpu.( its writen 750m alover, but i will show you the screen shots below in review.)
# 1 Tb Hdd @ 5400 rpm.
# JBL speakers.
# backlite keyboard.
# Full HD 1080p led Backlite screen. (Best in the class brightness)
# DVD drive tray load.
# 8 Gb ddr3 2 1600mhz Ram.
# Dolby home theater v4.0
# 130w charger
# Ultrabay for Sli gpu / another hdd / dvd drive.
# Always on USB 2.0
# 2 usb 3.0 ports.
# vga display port, hdmi display port.
# ethernet port RJ 45.
# HD camera.
# 2 array microphones.
#1 headphone and one mic jack.

Coming to the Box packing:
# The box comes in black with lenovo marking on it.

fipq.jpg

h8sj.jpg

Content of the box: A.laptop. B.Charger 130w. C.Manuals.
Thats it no windows/driver CD or DVD nothing.
Earlier i was using Dell XPS L502x it came with windows installation dvd and driver cd.
# Laptop comes with brush metal finish.Looks cool but finger prints come on easy.
51h5.jpg

Build quality: It looks good.No sound whats so ever. on using or even shaking it.
Thickness : its is quite thin for a gaming laptop. the pic show 5 rupee coin compariosion on thickest end.Also can compare with the usb ports sizes.
bbmy.jpg

Performance:
nn8u.png

I have not tested any games on this but will uplaod the gameplay vids on youtube soon.
The startup is fast. equivalent to my older dell xps.
Performance wise its super smooth, everything is blazing fast.
But then again only gaming could tell the difference.
By the way it has nvidia gt 755m, not 750m as mentioned on lenovo website and other sites
qtce.jpg

The windows score is 5.9 because of aero graphics and hdd, gaming graphics is 6.9

9jua.jpg

Keyboard: It has very good feel while typing. though its a membrane keyboard. but feels good on pressing keys, better than dell xps L502x.
Backlite on keys looks good in red but white color would have been better , as per my opinion.
Only problem was the keyboard has full set on numeric keys too. on a 15 in laptop its a it cosy. but will get use to it without much difficulty.
oh38.jpg

Trackpad : This the part where this laptop falls short.
The track pad is a bit difficult to use,. there are no separate keys for right and left click.

Screen: Its Full HD 1080p,
Looks very bright ,much brighter than my previous dell xps 15 L502x.
Color production is very good.
Sound: This too has JBL speakers as my older dell xps. this has dolby home theater v4
But, the quality is better than xps, the sound is sharp very clear treble,and distinct bass.
Sound stage is good.
Battery backup: I have not tested it heavily.But on normal surfing from full charge it lasted for around 4 hrs on web surfing with 80% brightness and high performance setting.
Ultrabay: This is an amazing feature for a laptop.
With this one can use extra hdd/ gpu/ dvd.
I'm planing to go for sli in near future.
The dealer told me another 755m gpu csts around Rs16000/-
But have to buy additional chager of 170 w, as it would require more power.

So, my overall review for this laptop is :
" The best budget Gaming Laptop in India" as The Asus ROG & Alienwares are too costly.
And in 755m sli mode this is equivalent to gtx 770m( from google)

For any querries kindly contact me via pm

755m in sli mode?? I guess the 750m version of the laptop only supports sli.
755m doesn't support sli as stated in nvidia website:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-755m/specifications
the additional gpu comes for 750m varient of the laptop: also lenovo has only 750m version of additional sli gpu listed in site for the laptop as of now as seen in this US lenovo site:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0C65964/460/3E71FB3EB22D4A308B517832F7D2264A
Kindly someone clarify if the above item (additional 750m) can be used to sli with the inbuilt 755m gpu!

Last edited:
This is available for $998 on Amazon with dual 750m, 16GB RAM and 1 TB HDD with 24GB SSD for Intel smart cache and a FHD screen.

Back