Android LG G2 GPS Problems

rikhav

Disciple
Hi all
I have purchased a lg g2 in month of october. Phone is very good in most aspects. Display is fantastic, fast processor, no lags

But phone has two major flaws. One is camera is very slow in taking pictures. I dont use the camera much so i dont care much about the camera but other major problem is gps. When using navigation software it loses signal every few minutes and worst is it shows wrong road when reconnected. It becomes a major problem specially when you have to take a turn and due to this signal issue i miss a turn or go on the wrong way. I use gps navigation quiet a lot
Quiet a few people have complained about this issue worldwide but when i made a complaint to lg india the executive said that he also uses a g2 and never faced such problems. He said i can visit nearest service centre and they will reload full os and problem should be solved
I have my doubts about this fix and feel its a hardware issue. But laws being so weak in india to protect consumers, i am sure lg will never give me replacement or accept there is a problem
Can anyone of guys can suggest me a fix for these gps issues? Gps is very important for me and for me phone is alnost useless without it and its frustrating when it loses signal every few minutes when in a journey
There are call issues as well (sound cracks a lot) but i cant be 100 percent sure till i change my service provoder and check
Any help is welcome

Try to backup all your data and Factory reset and update ur phone OS ...if problem still persists then it maybe H/w problem or LG official S/w has some bug....
Check Xda or online forums if anyone is facing same issue on a particular software build

Try to backup all your data and Factory reset and update ur phone OS ...if problem still persists then it maybe H/w problem or LG official S/w has some bug....
Check Xda or online forums if anyone is facing same issue on a particular software build

Hi
I already did a hard reset but no use
Xda recommends to check and change gps server destination but that needs rooting which i dont want do now for warranty issues

While g2 gps keeps on failing the lumia 720 gps impresses me a lot.
Thank god my brother has one. Its fast ,dead accurate and never fails.
Infact nokias here drive is better then google maps

Hi
I already did a hard reset but no use
Xda recommends to check and change gps server destination but that needs rooting which i dont want do now for warranty issues

While g2 gps keeps on failing the lumia 720 gps impresses me a lot.
Thank god my brother has one. Its fast ,dead accurate and never fails.
Infact nokias here drive is better then google maps

Are you using Google maps? Tried a different mapping solution like Sygic or TomTom?

Are you using Google maps? Tried a different mapping solution like Sygic or TomTom?
Thanks
Sure i will try and get back here
Sygic when i tried few weeks back was very slow, it did not respond to keyboard as well and in general was difficult to use
Still will try both and get back

Hi all
Went to the LG service centre at Goregaon station, Mahavir Electronics. As expected all they did is reload the whole OS which I told them I have already done. First of all no one at LG are ready to believe that my phone has a issue with GPS. They try to explain me that GPS works the same way in all the phones
Before leaving the service centre, I asked them what if the problem is not solved. I get a reply that you come back to us and we will put an application to the company for a board replacement.
I switched on navigation while returning home from the service centre and then same issues. Every few minutes phone says "SEARCHING FOR GPS" and when connected shows very vague position. I was bang in middle of SV road where every phone GPS has worked for me.
When I call them again saying issue is not solved, then I get a different answer from same person. They tell me to call a certain a service manager and request him to make an arrangement for a board as my phone is having a problem.
I did the mistake of calling that executive and he was first all trying to explain in all ways possible that GPS works this way. After I literally convinced him that this a hardware flaw and I have seen 3 more phones in same car working fine, it was only G2 which was losing GPS signal every now and then.
He then asks me "WHY BACK COVER WAS NOT REPLACED AS IT HAS ANTENNA FOR GPS AND THEN MIGHT EVEN HAVE SOME ISSUE AND NOT THE BOARD"
Hearing this, I had to remind him that I am not working in their service centre, but I am a customer who has been made to call him by the service centre

For gods sake, how am I suppose to know what is the remedy. After this experience I am actually scared to buy anything expensive in our country. Because we complain about Micromax, Karboon service to be bad, here after buying a 44k phone I am made to run places and given such childish answers.
It actually means how much ever premium product you buy, be it a fridge, phone, TV, cae once the product is sold and god forbid you have a problem, we have to ready to fight, burn your blod, and run all around the city making people understand what is the problem. And yeah, you the customer is the biggest CHOR and is always LYING and there is no problem at all with the company's product

I have received free replacement and upgrades of many products purchased directly from a company in USA and look what happens here

Every company has one set of rules for India and other for anywhere in the world except India

I have written a strong mail to the company and have asked one person to deal with my problem. Lets see what the actual outcome is

a lot of people learn this the hard way!

True Gaurav
Learnt from many experiences

Or atleast never buy anything which is just launched. In US of A many have this GPS problem I talk about and all they have to do is call their provider, say they are not satisfied and they either get a replacement or another phone in same price range

Here, nobody is ready to even believe that I am facing such a problem with my phone.
I sometimes laugh in my mind when I recall what all stupid explanations they give me.
Come on, I am no tech guru and no expert and they working in service centres don't know how a certain thing works on the phone. Worst, they are not even ready to acknowledge, all they did with me was just try to explain me that GPS receiver in my phone does not need to connect anywhere

:arghh:[DOUBLEPOST=1389678942][/DOUBLEPOST]Also the screen flickers when changing brightness in auto mode?

Is this common with all phones of all brands? Not seen this happen in a lumia, or xperia or iphone so confirming

If it is a flaw, then my mistake that i went with LG

Last edited:
One is camera is very slow in taking pictures.
In general or in certain conditions. When i played with the G2 in the shop, the camera was very quick & responsive. click - button, camera launches, sustained press takes burst shots.

I dont use the camera much so i dont care much about the camera but other major problem is gps. When using navigation software it loses signal every few minutes and worst is it shows wrong road when reconnected. It becomes a major problem specially when you have to take a turn and due to this signal issue i miss a turn or go on the wrong way.
What isn't clear is whether you are using online or offline navigation.

online requires a cell connection. offline does not. For offline you need navigation software like indy mentioned but there are others in the playstore as well. I've tried osmand on my tab and it found 14 satellites. Worked very well and since it does not need a cell connection should work anywhere provided you are outdoors and not in a building. In a building you need a cell connection to use GPS, its actually not GPS but A-GPS in this case. A lot of cheap phones only have A-GPS and not GPS.

I have my doubts about this fix and feel its a hardware issue. But laws being so weak in india to protect consumers, i am sure lg will never give me replacement or accept there is a problem
I'm not convinced there actually is a problem with your G2 GPS. Its a plastic case and should work fine once it gets a satellite lock.

You would have to reliably demonstrate that there actually is a problem in the first place.

Last edited:
For gods sake, how am I suppose to know what is the remedy. After this experience I am actually scared to buy anything expensive in our country. Because we complain about Micromax, Karboon service to be bad, here after buying a 44k phone I am made to run places and given such childish answers.
There is a learning curve with all tech.

It actually means how much ever premium product you buy, be it a fridge, phone, TV, cae once the product is sold and god forbid you have a problem, we have to ready to fight, burn your blod, and run all around the city making people understand what is the problem. And yeah, you the customer is the biggest CHOR and is always LYING and there is no problem at all with the company's product

I have received free replacement and upgrades of many products purchased directly from a company in USA and look what happens here

Every company has one set of rules for India and other for anywhere in the world except India

I have written a strong mail to the company and have asked one person to deal with my problem. Lets see what the actual outcome is
Are people willing to pay extra for ASS ? They have a lowest cost mentality here. Cost at many a time actually overrides primary requirements. People will go out of their way to compromise their requirements just to save a few bucks.

Then where is the incentive to provide more than the minimum people are willing to spend.

You are your own support or lets say you have to get experience in these matters yourself. Best way, only way, frustrating but that's the way it goes.

Also the screen flickers when ch
In general or in certain conditions. When i played with the G2 in the shop, the camera was very quick & responsive. click - button, camera launches, sustained press takes burst shots.

What isn't clear is whether you are using online or offline navigation.

online requires a cell connection. offline does not. For offline you need navigation software like indy mentioned but there are others in the playstore as well. I've tried osmand on my tab and it found 14 satellites. Worked very well and since it does not need a cell connection should work anywhere provided you are outdoors and not in a building. In a building you need a cell connection to use GPS, its actually not GPS but A-GPS in this case. A lot of cheap phones only have A-GPS and not GPS.

I'm not convinced there actually is a problem with your G2 GPS. Its a plastic case and should work fine once it gets a satellite lock.

You would have to reliably demonstrate that there actually is a problem in the first place.

I am using Google maps as navigation software and its online navigation. The GPS connects when the journey starts. Later on every few minutes the GPS loses connection and that get connection back in few seconds. But if you are traveling by road losing connection every few minutes for around 10 or 15 seconds is no good as by that time you miss a turn.

G2 has a proper GPS receiver so no AGPS here.

I even told the service centre that any one of their representative has to come with me for a 15 minute rickshaw/taxi/bus/car/ drive to know the problem and it will be crystal clear for them

I don't know how clear I can be from this

And I am losing connection in middle of a street and not under a bridge. And suppose if any area has poor GPS reception then my brothers Lumia 720 which also has a proper GPS should also show that it has lost GPS CONNECTION

Nokia's Here Drive is an offline navigation software but it will not show progress on the route if GPS connection is lost and would immediately notify if GPS connection is lost
And if actually GPS reception is so poor in Mumbai or in our country on the whole, then its impossible to use any kind of navigation system by anyone in india

I am using Google maps as navigation software and its online navigation. The GPS connects when the journey starts. Later on every few minutes the GPS loses connection and that get connection back in few seconds. But if you are traveling by road losing connection every few minutes for around 10 or 15 seconds is no good as by that time you miss a turn.

I even told the service centre that any one of their representative has to come with me for a 15 minute rickshaw/taxi/bus/car/ drive to know the problem and it will be crystal clear for them

I don't know how clear I can be from this

And I am losing connection in middle of a street and not under a bridge. And suppose if any area has poor GPS reception then my brothers Lumia 720 which also has a proper GPS should also show that it has lost GPS CONNECTION
google maps is online navigation software. You can download maps but i don't know how robust it is. It works fine when you have a good connection.

G2 has a proper GPS receiver so no AGPS here.
correct

Nokia's Here Drive is an offline navigation software but it will not show progress on the route if GPS connection is lost and would immediately notify if GPS connection is lost
And if actually GPS reception is so poor in Mumbai or in our country on the whole, then its impossible to use any kind of navigation system by anyone in india
Am suggesting you use offline software as has been recommended earlier for your gps needs. Then tell us whether you lose your connection or not. How well it works.

if that works then the problem is not with gps but rather the combo of google maps plus your 3g data provider. One hiccup and your navigation goes for a toss.

Okay got it
Which offline navigation app you suggest?
Sygic i found is complicated to use.
How is tom tom ?
They do have special india version
If thats good enough i am ready to spend 1000 bucks on it
Also , in google play store can paid apps be downloaded free for life any number of times after making payment once?

Hi
Tried sygic while going to work.
Unfortunately, same problem. Unless and until i am stationery all is fine. Gps gets a fix and connects to 7 to 10 satellites
Once on the move, gps loses connectivity, searches for sats again and then gets a fix. All this takes about 80 to 90 seconds and again within few minutes all this is repeated

I have also kept wifi and mobile network location on because its aides the gps to get a fix faster

Also have downloaded gps toolbox by which i come to know how many satellites are connected

I was very lucky that I was dealing with Mr sumer of LG regarding my g2. He agreed for a replacement phone without making me run around all over Mumbai
Clearly I had already given up as it was very time consuming making rounds of service centre and my work was suffering badly
So either he understood my plight or knew the g2 had really some issues
After making me wait for almost two hours the LG service centre issued a doa certificate (this goregaon LG service centre has a very lazy staff)
I had to take the certificate to the retailer from whom I bought the phone and they would give me a replacment. I was expecting some dramas there but again they gave a new piece without any questions asked.
Before visiting this shop I casually inquired with two other nearby big shops how much would I get for a brand new g2 if I bought another phone from them. One shop flatly said they don't take LG in exchange and other offered 20000 for a brand new g2
This made my fears worsen , how bad is LG commanding so bad resale. Other fear I had was that what if the new piece had same issues. Then I am screwed. As it is issues I had were hard to prove and then LG would not have done nothing

I had following issues with the phone gps and call being major
Gps taking ages to connect and then frequently disconnecting
Person on other side could hear robot like sound and could not understand. This happened in between
Slow camera and screen flickering when adjusting brightness

The call issues were very difficult to prove as all think it's network related problem which it is actually not

Finally the retailer agreed to give me 12.5 percent minus the current price of g2

I was tempted to go for note 3 but as it is I was taking a quiet a big hit on a 2 month old flagship phone. Finally went for tried and tested s4 and service centre is 10 mins away from my house

Phone is surely not snappy as g2 while loading apps, heavy Web pages mainly because it has no snapdragon 800 but it does basic things right

No voice issues during call. Loudspeaker and internal speaker are loud enough and don't distort
Gps works like a charm

One thing I learnt is never buy just launched phone. Wait for user experience. Issue can be with any model of any company

If I would have waited for a month when I bought a g2 I would have come to know about call and gps issues and instead bought a note 3 as they were almost same in price
But I am not cribbing and actually feel lucky that I got a chance to sell g2 at a decent rate
Thank you all for helping me out

P.s. are there no g2 users here? If yes do you have faced any problems I have faced with g2?

A lot of g2 users here, I think they might have missed this thread, or do not face the problem. My sister doesn't.

The gps problem might be a fault with that particular piece.

A lot of g2 users here, I think they might have missed this thread, or do not face the problem. My sister doesn't.

The gps problem might be a fault with that particular piece.
Good to know that
I still believe as a product g2 is a superb phone and is very snappy and has zero lag. S4 cannot match it in speed, performance and processing power. For just 5000 more then s4 it's an unbeatable product
Somehow I could not make up mind to accept a brand new replacment phone after all the issues I had, specially when I had an option of exchanging it at a very good price. If I did not have that option I would have used the new g2 and hopefully that piece would be defect free
If you don't mind can you tell me when your sister purchased the g2?
Mine was purchased on 2nd day of launch so I feel initial lot might have the problems I faced and then it was rectified by lg

Have never faced any of the problems you had mentioned
Also even if you go and ask the shops for selling your S4 / Note 3 they will not even give 20000, that is just one of their ways to make profit.

Have never faced any of the problems you had mentioned
Also even if you go and ask the shops for selling your S4 / Note 3 they will not even give 20000, that is just one of their ways to make profit.

Hi harsh
I know that way they can make more money
When did you purchase the g2?

Back