Budget 10-15K LG Optimus L9 or Xperia L

silkroad

Disciple
Hi all,

This diwali, I am going to buy a new phone. Which one of these two is a better product? Other suggestions are also appreciated.

My main requirements are-
  1. Good cam and video recording
  2. Good processor and ram
  3. above 4 inch display with good viewing angles.
  4. Good quality music through earphones

The Sony and the LG both lack a good quality cam. Both have good processors and RAM but the Xperia doesn't have good viewing angles.

Music quality is decent from both phones.

The Xperia is smaller and the LG is slightly larger due to the bigger screen but surprisingly the Xperia is the heavier of the two phones.

The Sony and the LG both lack a good quality cam. Both have good processors and RAM but the Xperia doesn't have good viewing angles.

Music quality is decent from both phones.

The Xperia is smaller and the LG is slightly larger due to the bigger screen but surprisingly the Xperia is the heavier of the two phones.

Budget extended..

Xperia sp or nexus 4? Is battery life on nexus horrible?

Battery life is bad and also Nexus is discontinued so makes little sense getting it now. Either wait for Nexus 5 or get the SP.

Sp is decent and has enough juice to run most everything available at highest settings today but its not very future proof and later games and apps could trouble the hardware on the SP especially the 1 GB ram which means it may not be able to run the upcoming Android OS. Battery life on the SP is also a plus though.

If you MUST get a phone now the Nexus is fine but you might want to get a portable battery pack if you are a moderate user.

Other options are the S4 Mini which has similar specs to the SP but has 1.5 GB ram which is more future proof.

I think your budget SP, GS3 and N4 fits... I will rule out N5 because it will take time to come to india and it will be around 28k from rumors (50$ extra and $-Rs rate also high this time)

I will get GS3 - Advantage - getting 4.3 in nov, and better performance compare to SP - Disadvantage - Its little older[DOUBLEPOST=1382780738][/DOUBLEPOST]Not recommending but on the side note because its fits in budget. Hows Gionee Elife E6? Looks spectacular... and specs also great
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/gionee-elife-e6-black/1659717393?pos=0;41

^^ Actually the S3 performs a little worse than the SP especially in games as the Mali 400 is a bit long in the tooth.

Of course in real world apps I doubt anyone will tell the difference but the SP newer chipset actually outperforms the S3.

If gaming is a priority then the S3 is a no no. In games like Real Racing already the S3 is a bit sluggish while the SP is butter smooth.

The SP is also getting a 4.3 update in Decemeber as announced by Sony officially so the only real advantage of the S3 is the Ammoled screen with better viewing angles and richer colours than the SP's screen and the Samsung's camera is much better and snappier to use.

However SP wins in battery life and gaming performance. However the SP has a non user replaceable battery which can be a downer.

Hey @blr_p !
Coming down to the question at hand! The L9 stomps the Xperia L when it comes to two things only - Battery Life and Screen clarity! The Xperia L has a very poor washed out display. LG lives upto their name in making trademark displays! I get a good day and a half on a single charge with constant 2G data being used by whatsapp and hangouts and about 3 hours of calls and texts! 3G cripples it to around 21 hours cause its hard to find a solid signal at times!
If you are going for the SP vs GS3 then i would definitely suggest the SP like @Brendon mentioned. Its got a good screen, nice oomph factor added by the colored strip at the bottom , battery is decent, and lastly it has better internals!
GS3 may look to have a better screen but colors on AMOLEDs are horribly saturated and unreal! Heck i find my GTab3 8.0 very unnatural in color reproduction! The LG phones have the best colors. Period.

Amoleds lose out on colour reproduction, especially the pentile displays.

S2 & Note 2 are non-pentile amoled displays, every other amoled since is pentile. HD screens & lower were not pentile, full hd screen went pentile. What this means is that the red component is less compared to green & blue in the display matrix so the colours are colder in comparison to other lcd variants. Photos for instance might look ok on the mobile but put them on a laptop or desktop with non-pentile display and you will see a colder (bluish looking) image, easy fix.

gtab3 is not an amoled display, its tft, should do better at colour reproduction than amoled.

LG claims their displays are colour accurate (wrt G2) but that's not true. One of the reiewers had checked the colours and found there were some custom mods in there, intent is obvious, to make the colours pop so as to compete with amoled. This is why when you look at an lg display you get hooked nearly instantly.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

?Here are some details for Xperia SP

Quadrant :7866
Antutu: 16413
gfxBench : 44
Vellamo Metal : 755
Vellamo HTML 5 : 2013

HTC one Mini

Quadrant :5886
Antutu: 11353
gfxBench : 24
Vellamo Metal : 611
Vellamo HTML 5 : 2213

in terms of these scores SP performs much better, only downfall is the screen which does not uses S-amoled or IPS panel

For 10-15K Range

Here is comparison
Sony L
HARDWARE
System chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8230
Processor: Dual core, 1000 MHz, Krait
Graphics processor: Adreno 305
System memory: 1024 MB RAM
Built-in storage: 8 GB

Pros
Big display (4.3 inches)
High-resolution camera (8 megapixels)
Dual core processor
Lots of RAM (1024 MB RAM)
NFC

Three difference in Xperia M - Camera is 5MP, 4GB ROM and display is 4 inch

LG Optimus L9

HARDWARE
System chip: TI OMAP4430
Processor: Dual core, 1000 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9
Graphics processor: PowerVR SGX540
System memory: 1024 MB RAM
Built-in storage: 4 GB

Pros
Very big display (4.7 inches)
Dual core processor
Lots of RAM (1024 MB RAM)
Fast mobile data support (4G)
NFC

Avoid L7 now you can choose from these two.

Last edited:
Back