Video LG Plasma TV

rshri

Adept
Hi Guys,

What do you think of this 42" LG plasma TV - 42PC1R ?

Here is the official link -
Products-Detail

It can be had for around 85K. Isnt this a good value for money?

Waiting for your responses.

Its a decent price no doubt, and that 1024 X 768 resolution will be great for watching DVD's or DTH. However if you intend to watch HD then there are better options out there.

HD is at least 2 years away in India (Both transmission and availability of HD-DVD). If I buy this TV, will I be able to sell it after 2 years? If yes, I can then buy HDTV at that time.

rshri said:
HD is at least 2 years away in India (Both transmission and availability of HD-DVD). If I buy this TV, will I be able to sell it after 2 years? If yes, I can then buy HDTV at that time.

In two yrs time, better quality LCD's will hit the market and in that price we may get a 50inch lcd.

no one will look at plasma in 2 yrs time.

6pack said:
In two yrs time, better quality LCD's will hit the market and in that price we may get a 50inch lcd.

no one will look at plasma in 2 yrs time.

So what to do for now? Stay with 29" CRT?
40" - 42" LCDs are too expensive. Rear projection TVs lack in many things.

Well, you wont get more than 40k (maybe less) for it after 2 years.

If that's okay, get it else save for a 40" LCD.

Rear Projections don't lack anything if your room is big enough, if its small, then stick to LCD/Plasma :)

Anish said:
Well, you wont get more than 40k (maybe less) for it after 2 years.

If that's okay, get it else save for a 40" LCD.

Rear Projections don't lack anything if your room is big enough, if its small, then stick to LCD/Plasma :)

I am gunning for plasma only because of better picture quality. LCD's still have a long way to go to deal with motion blur and good color reproduction. IMHO they are not good for sizes above 32".

I would have gladly bought Sony' 50" 3LCD projection for 80K. However it has its share of problems -
1. Viewing angles are quiet bad (especially vertical angles).
2. Colors are not uniform. This is especially evident while viewing B/W pics
3. Problems reported in older 3LCDs (Grand Wega) - color blotches and other spots.

So only option left is Plasma, provided one is ready to deal with burn-in and retentions (it can be dealt with few precautions). Of plasmas, only LG provides a good quality affordable plasma.

I checked with few LG dealers this weekend. Surprisingly no one was stocking or displaying this model. In fact, they looked rather surprised when I inquired, they were more keen on showing me the LG LCDs.

Looks like its RIP for LG plasmas!

^ Well if you check the latest range of Full HD LCD's, all the problems you mentioned above have disappeared.

Infact, a freind of mine whose a reviewer for What Hi-Fi, the Indian version of the best selling UK mag, told me that the Sony Bravia X Series 40" LCD, almost matches a 50" Fujitsu reference plasma worth 50L, in terms of colour reproduction.

For roughly 1.2L, that's gotta be a steal ;)

Anish said:
^ Well if you check the latest range of Full HD LCD's, all the problems you mentioned above have disappeared.

Infact, a freind of mine whose a reviewer for What Hi-Fi, the Indian version of the best selling UK mag, told me that the Sony Bravia X Series 40" LCD, almost matches a 50" Fujitsu reference plasma worth 50L, in terms of colour reproduction.

For roughly 1.2L, that's gotta be a steal ;)

Are you sure it costs only 1.2lakhs ?? The last time i checked the Sony Bravia X Series 40" LCD(full HD) was close to 2 lakhs.

wolfff said:
Its a decent price no doubt, and that 1024 X 768 resolution will be great for watching DVD's or DTH. However if you intend to watch HD then there are better options out there.
Well 720 p 1024*768 is HD, so you could watch HD DVD as well (as I do downloaded) and it would look awesome (music for the eyes). Is it as good as the new HD or TRUE HD format that its now called 1080p, probably not, but the difference between 720p and 1080p is not as great when you compare the difference between 480p and 720p. In addition even in United States currently all broadcasters have 720p (sports channels) and 1080i (movies) broadcast and very few if any 1080p channels (if course this is going to change). So in India I dont see that broadcasters would jump to 1080p in 2010, they would probably go 480p and than 720p...
Lastly the difference between 720p and 1080p is miniscuelle by human eye if you are talking about 40" LCD TVs and a viewing distane of over 6 ft. For bigger screens, 50" plus you notice relatively more difference.

So I would say buy all means buy 720p TV (HD Ready) now and it wont be outdated till 2010. By 2010, buy another one at a cheaper price. Hopefully you would be earning more by than :hap2:

vandal said:
pardon but I do believe 720p = 1280x720 :)

Thats right. LG Plasma is some 200 horizontal pixels shy of truly being HDTV ready. Still they advertise themselves as HD Ready.
In 42" display there will not be any visible difference however, even with HD-DVD.

Yup :D 720p = 1280x720. The height may reduce depending on the aspect ratio, but the width has to be 1280.

And, the question is not about the 200 odd pixels. The point is that this display will have to convert the video to its native rez, which could cause degradation in quality.

^^Most panels these days are 1366x768 or something... don't rmr the exact dimensions slightly more than the 720p spec. Not sure why they do it :S. Maybe for subtitles.

They make it 1366*768 because then it can be marketed as a Megapixel panel... another instance of the Marketers deciding the specs instead of the engineers....

I would suggest thinking carefully about a plasma tv.
LG is a good quality brand, I have an LG LCD, but the plasmas (all brands) are very fragile, if they tip over once... poof, you have to get it repaired. It has something to do with the gas in the tv (forgot which one it is) but if they tip, it does damage to the way the gas is stored. My father-in-law has a plasma, and this has happened twice already.
The picture is a little more vibrant in the plasma, but the LCD is far more sturdy. I really like my LG LCD, the quality has been great and the newer ones are getting a lot better. The LG LCD comes fully loaded with tons of video and audio jacks. I would imagine it depends on the model, but mine has 2 x HDMI (one of these will also handle a digital connection too) 3x composite, regular audio/video jacks and also a optical digital audio out and svideo.

ArtfulDodger said:
I would suggest thinking carefully about a plasma tv.
LG is a good quality brand, I have an LG LCD, but the plasmas (all brands) are very fragile, if they tip over once... poof, you have to get it repaired. It has something to do with the gas in the tv (forgot which one it is) but if they tip, it does damage to the way the gas is stored. My father-in-law has a plasma, and this has happened twice already.
The picture is a little more vibrant in the plasma, but the LCD is far more sturdy. I really like my LG LCD, the quality has been great and the newer ones are getting a lot better. The LG LCD comes fully loaded with tons of video and audio jacks. I would imagine it depends on the model, but mine has 2 x HDMI (one of these will also handle a digital connection too) 3x composite, regular audio/video jacks and also a optical digital audio out and svideo.

Thanks for the advice! I had given up the option of buying LG Plasma when I saw that even LG dealers were not interested in selling them. They were all keen on LCD only.

I have now bought Sony RPTV. I am fully satisfied with this purchase.

Back