LG wants PS3 banned in the US OMG.... Sony is in a massive mess.

V!bU

Bang Bang Bang!!!
Adept
Seems that LG is gonna kick Sony PS3 out of Market from US... hmmm

LG says the Blu-ray drive in Sony's PlayStation 3 gaming console infringes on its patents...and it wants the PS3 banned in the United States.

Source:
LG sues Sony over PlayStation 3 Blu-ray drive

Mods as this is my first thread, please be polite with me :) If posted under wrong section Mods please move it to the proper Section.

Vibu said:
Mods as this is my first thread, please be polite with me :) If posted under wrong section Mods please move it to the proper Section.
:lol:

BTW this news is surely going to help that hacker who's already trying to sue Sony :p

Well so far they just have an injunction of 10 days. LG may push for destruction of the current shipment which is lying in containers. Though I wonder if they can pull that off or a permanent ban on imports.

baccilus said:
Sony PS3 has already been banned in EU according to this source. This might be catastrophic for Sony.
Oh man Microsoft is going to take all the chances against Sony this time for dam sure, Sony got sooooo much money out of PS3, So now its gonna to end.....

Lol. First Sony files suit against Geohot and the other hacker ( dont remember the name :ashamed: ), and similar to a counter-attack MS supports Geohot and now LG starts up the fight.
Way to go.

Now, will Sony tumble down? :p

Afaik sony bought, manufactured and marketed the blue-ray technology. So how do they infringe the patents is confusing to me. :S

PS3 temporarily banned in Europe

PS3 banned in Europe after LG gets temp injunction vs. Sony | Electronista

Sony encountered a major setback on Monday after LG landed a preliminary injunction banning the PlayStation 3 from sales in Europe. A civil court in The Hague ruled that any PS3s imported into the continent have to be confiscated by government officials for at least the next 10 days. The Guardian claimed that the Netherlands, often a point of import for all of Europe, had already taken "tens of thousands" of PS3s and that Sony stood to see hundreds of thousands of the consoles blocked from reaching shelves.

LG is embroiled in a patent dispute over Blu-ray that has extended worldwide, including Europe and the US, and has used the PS3 as a leverage tactic to push for a settlement. The complaint itself was a response to Sony suing LG over phone patents.

Read more: PS3 banned in Europe after LG gets temp injunction vs. Sony | Electronista

Re: PS3 temporarily banned in Europe

Maybe this is the reason..?

Sony sues to block LG from shipping phones to U.S.

But in Other News:-

MS declares price cut on XBOX in the wake of PS3 Ban. :D

Microsoft announced today through their Spanish Twitter feed, @Xbox360_Spain, that a massive sale has begun effective immediately on 250GB Xbox 360 consoles as well as 4GB Xbox 360 Kinect bundles.

It is likely Microsoft has decided to make the cuts to their console's pricing in an attempt to gain market share in Europe in light of yesterday's announcement that Sony PlayStation 3 consoles have been temporarily banned from being sold in Europe due to LG's patent infringement claim.

GameStop in Spain confirmed the big sale via their Spanish Twitter feed, @GameStop_Iberia, as well, letting potential consumers know that both Xbox 360 SKUs will get a price cut of a full 50 euros.

That brings the 250GB price from 249.98 to 199.98 and the 4GB + Kinect bundle from 299.98 to 249.98 euros.

We have been unable to confirm it, but it is likely that similar offers will crop up across Europe in order to take advantage of Sony's misfortune.

Source

Prolly it is a fallout.

Many a times there is an understanding between two corporations for a give n take, you scratch my back.. i scratch yours.

Maybe Sony thought suing LG would be better for its company's interests and LG wont be able to do anything substantial.. so went ahead.

LG followed (with its own) suit.

Sony has no class. With every passing day they are alienating themselves from the people that matter most to their survival. It's a good thing they make good products, if not they'd be staring down the barrel of a .45.

Agreed, I have always loved Sony for the breakthrough products they have made, from way back when (think Walkman, Trinitron) to the modern (MiniDisc, WORM discs etc) but they have been tarnishing their own brand image even in a fanboy's (me) eyes through very short-sighted and narrow-minded policies and activities (like not supporting standards like MP3, various device connectors - memory stick etc). Even today if I were to buy a TV or Laptop my first choice would be Sony.

Spacescreamer said:
Maybe this is the reason..?
Sony sues to block LG from shipping phones to U.S.
But in Other News:-

MS declares price cut on XBOX in the wake of PS3 Ban. :D

Source
Prolly it is a fallout.
Many a times there is an understanding between two corporations for a give n take, you scratch my back.. i scratch yours.
Maybe Sony thought suing LG would be better for its company's interests and LG wont be able to do anything substantial.. so went ahead.
LG followed (with its own) suit.
No is because of Sony infringing on a Blu-Ray patent, the mobile phones ban that Sony tried to pin on LG in US might have acted like a catalyst though.

Sony are harming their goodwill.

OT - Price cut of the 360 in Europe means a price cut in India :p Super news.

Back