Lightest laptop with GPU power

lazybugger

Disciple
Hi

I am looking for a laptop with good graphics to run adobe premiere to run well and should be as light as it can possibly get.

My budget is around ~40-52k

Options considered till now

1. Toshiba Portege R705 (from US) around 50k (I guess along with international warranty)

2. Dell XPS 14 around 52k(with 3 years cover)

XPS is awesome when it comes to specs, but I am really worried about the weight.

Portege is awesome when it comes to weight, but has shitty Intel Graphics.

Any other ideas?

Edit: The Graphics card must atleast allow me to play NFS Most Wanted at a high res.

I would assume gaming power is directly proportional to the weight of a machine... largely because you'll need better heatsinks.

If it's just about NFS most wanted (4-5yrs old now), I think the upcoming integrated graphics from Intel (with Huron River) might be able to handle it. Just google the benchmarks.

If portability is very important then why not the M11x? <$1000 gets you a i5 in the US. About 50k converted in INR

Thanks for the reply.

I think 11" is too small for a laptop. I saw a 12" in real life and could not work on it.

Another query: Do you think Intel HD graphics can handle HD video post processing?

lazybugger said:
Thanks for the reply.

I think 11" is too small for a laptop. I saw a 12" in real life and could not work on it.
I agree but sometimes a higher res display makes up for less screen space, case in point -- the new 11" MacBook Air. The high native res of 1366 * 768 pixels gives you much more area to work on than an average 11" laptop.

Its also really light and small -- weighs just around 1.0kg.

The Integrated NVidia 320m graphics are way better than any Intel crap and should run NFS easily.

The only downside i can think of is its measly 1.6 C2D processor -- so anything that is CPU intensive would suffer. But despite that -- in overall use the notebook "feels" fast due to its built-in SSD storage.

So i think its a trade-off -- if you really need something light as possible with capable graphics then MBA is probably your best bet otherwise get any PC notebook you deem fit.

Man, Apple products are so enticing. But they are too expensive, especially if you include warranty and all. 60k+ is way too much.

Currently, I am more inclined towards XPS and compromise on weight. Only if I could get a lighter laptop packed with GPU/CPU power.

^^ Apple notebooks have international warranty so if you can source it from the US -- the base 11" model priced at $999 + tax is a pretty good option.

Styx said:
^^ Apple notebooks have international warranty so if you can source it from the US -- the base 11" model priced at $999 + tax is a pretty good option.

I am worried about the config. Its a C2D with 1.6G. Can it handle any video post processing at all?

Sure it can, C2D is still a very capable chip. It might take 5-10 minutes longer than an equivalent i3/i5 chip but there is no question about its capability.

That said, if you're going to use the required machine for some serious HD video post-processing you should probably look elsewhere because no ultra-portable will give you that kind of raw CPU/GPU power.

Back