Less than 10K Lightweight, but fast small phone with best network!

Hi guys,

I purchased an older model Xperia Go a few months back, primarily because I wanted a phone that would be:

1) Able to take the rough and tumble.
2) Small and light enough to carry while running/jogging.

However, I find two major issues with the phone.

1) It has a poor network, often dropping signals/calls. :eek:
2) It is VERY sluggish. :mad:

So I am looking for a replacement that is primarily
1) Fast
2) Good strong network (I often have to visit places where the network is sluggish)
3) Small and light weight (looking at ~4 inches or whereabouts)

My other phone is a N9005 Note 3, where I do all my Internet, media, camera stuff, so this one is not going to be "primary" in that sense. :)

1. Budget?
A: 7k
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No particular preference. I have used Nokia Asha. Loved how robust it was. Hated the OS though. I have used Older Motos (Droid 3), Blackberry (Bold 2), Sonys (P1i, some of the walkman models), Xperias (X1, Go) , Samsung (my other phone is a N9005, Note 3). Open to use any phones that fit the bill.
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Not really required.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or Windows.
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Mainly for business calls, text, a little Whatsapps, very little browsing. I would do almost all my camera, e-mail, and Internet stuff on my Note 3.
10. Any other requirements?
A: Phone should be Robust, lightweight, with good network. Could do with dual sim, but not essential.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Moto E, Asus Zenfone 4.

Guys, please put in your inputs.

You mentioned that you have considered Moto E. I would recommend it too. Its within your budget, small enough, rugged with Gorilla glass and changeable back cover, good battery life, fast and smooth interface (lags when switching from games) and has good network connectivity. I have used the phone for 3 months and was completely satisfied with it except its screen size. In fact I was surprised its network connectivity was better than my HTC One X.

It does not feel like a sub 7K phone at all.

I was also deciding between the zenfone and the moto e
The zenfone did edge out the moto e when i compared the two (slightly better features at a slightly lower price).

However, i found quite a few reviews online that complained about the screen breaking quite easily if the phone is dropped. didnt read about such problems with the moto and i'm clumsy (moto is water resistant too) so thats why i went with the E. (plus a family member of mine has had it for about a year and recommends it as well)

As regards to the weight, in my personal opinion, the moto's weight actually feels nice - gives a sense of good build quality - feels solid. It's the heaviest phone i have owned but doesn't feel heavy.

Bottomline, i would recommend either since you'll be getting a good phone either way. both are similarly priced and have almost the same features. Just thought i'd post my reasons for going with the E.

^^ Out of the box, it will be super smooth but installing large no. of apps will definitely make it lag sometimes. But overall the smoothness will be miles above Android. Also less RAM means a few apps (games, mostly) will not be available in the market. However, I have seen Subway Surfers stutter on Moto E while it runs fine on a 520.

Back