Linksys WRH54G+MT882+Bridge mode

Hey guys,
I am using MTNL Triband and my current setup is something like this
Lan Card ------> Linksys Router (Lan Port)
MT882 Modem -------> Linksys Router (Lan Port)

my modem is 192.168.1.1 and i have changed my router's ip to 192.168.1.200

i have set the router to AUTO DHCP mode and and the modem is in PPPOE mode.

Now i wanted to know what is to be done to switch my current setup to Bridge mode so that i can disconnect the connection before my night unlimited timings end.

A step by step guide would be great !! :)

Ideally, you should have your modem connected to the router's internet port. Right now, all you're doing is using the router as a switch + Access point. You need to set the modem to bridge mode and enable PPPoE on the router. When you enable PPPoE on the router, if you go to the status page, there's a disconnect button there so you can disconnect when not required. I don't believe this particular router supports setting up a pre-determined disconnect time.

but that is where the dialer comes into the picture right? ( the default one we create from windows). To disconnect and reconnect as you wish and schedule it as in my case.

besides once the modem is set to bridge mode, should it be connected to the router through the lan port or the internet port .

i.e which of the following is correct :-

Modem -----Lan Cable----> Lan port of Router (current config)

OR

Modem ------lan Cable----> Internet Port of the Router?

When you configure the modem in bridge mode and set the router in PPPoE mode, you don't have to use the dialer on your PC. The router takes care of everything.

In bridge mode, you have to connect the modem to the router's internet port. If you use your current setup with the modem in bridge mode, you would have to use the dialer on the PC, because you're using your router as a switch. What happens is that your PC talks directly to your modem, bypassing the router.

Edrill said:
When you configure the modem in bridge mode and set the router in PPPoE mode, you don't have to use the dialer on your PC. The router takes care of everything.

In bridge mode, you have to connect the modem to the router's internet port. If you use your current setup with the modem in bridge mode, you would have to use the dialer on the PC, because you're using your router as a switch. What happens is that your PC talks directly to your modem, bypassing the router.

I am not able to understand you. Can you please be a little more clear. :ashamed:

Besides do i need to change any DHCP settings in the modem (Enable/Disable) or enter anything in my TCP/IP settings of my Lan Card.

What I meant to say is, if you wanna use PPPoE on the router, you can't use the dialer on the PC. Also, if you wanna use PPPoE on the router, you need to connect the modem to the router's internet port, not the LAN port. Hope that clears things up.

If you wanna use the dialer on your PC, leave the physical connections as they are. Actually, if you're using just one PC, you don't even need the router. Unless you require the wireless capability of the router, I'd suggest you disconnect the router and hook up the PC directly to the modem.

my apologies to original poster, but i wud also like to tell bout my scenario here itself. i have utstarcom modem/router by bsnl which is connected to buffalo whr-125g's wan port. and the router is using pppoe mode. i have to connect or disconnect using the router's config page. can i schedule it to connect or disconnect like we used it in windows using scripts for the dialer.

@jampack: There should be two options along the lines of "Keep Alive" or "Connect on Demand". Keep alive is the option that keeps it connected at all times. In case of Connect on Demand, the connection is disconnected when there is no internet traffic. I doubt any routers with stock firmware have the option of running scripts to connect/disconnect at a particular time, i.e., scheduled connects/disconnects. That's something you'd get with third-party firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT, etc.

Back