Linksys WRT54G2

Got this router yesterday but the range is pathetic the moment i step out of the room the connection is dropped:mad:, is something wrong with the router.Have a option of changing it which one should i get,tried for Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 but not available anywhere in lammy should be in the market by month end that is what i was told :( .

P.S how is linksys WRT160N need good range

i didnt have any issues with the G2 .. infact i got better range.. i can easily get "full" range when i go a floor down, buffalo on the other hand would give up when i reached the stairs :p

Yeah, that too. Placement makes a huge difference. The signals travel better from a higher location to a lower location. And avoid placing it on top of anything made of metal, or close to the base station of a cordless phone. Also, make sure it's upgraded to the latest firmware.

1) Open up any browser (IE or FF preferred).

2) In the address bar type 192.168.1.1 (The default IP of the router, unless you've changed it)

3) When asked for authentication, leave the username blank and type admin for the password. (admin is the default password. Can be changed.)

4) Once you reach the setup page, click on the Wireless tab. Here you'll find the option to change the channel. Select whichever channel you want and click Save Settings. Observe the connection for a while and if there's no improvement, try a different channel.

I have same issues with the router th signal strength does not come into my third bedroom which is diagonal to my first room and second room between, neither does it come through the living room into the bedroom, however the living room is excellent conn so id the kitchen n second room! Do you think im expecting too much?? Ill try changing the channel n get back!!

sometimes if you have a cordless phone at home that works on 2.4ghz, its bound to interefere with the wireless signals. Changing channels is the best way to avoid that. Mostly choose 1,6,11 channels for better signal. If nothing happens then there is something more that might be interfering.

I'm using a WAG160N, which is basically a WRT160N with an ADSL modem built-in. The range on it is pretty awesome. I'm getting range all over my place which is a two floor bungalow, with thick walls. And this is all using standard wireless G adapters. With wireless N adapters, the range and speed would only improve. In my case, the router is on the first floor, and the wireless laptops are used mostly on the first and the ground floors. No cordless phones in the house either.

Back