Linux Linux? anybody

Nightstalker

Disciple
Feb 3, 2009
anyone uses linux here? im planning to install it on my pc, to work on apple shake. Cud someone tell me which is the eaisest and non buggy linux to start off on?

i have a 8600gt card so i hope there are not vid driver problems. Thanks

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
If Apple Shake is what I think it is, then don't you need Mac OS to run it?

Anyways, if you want GNOME try the upcoming Ubuntu 9.04 to be released in about a week or if you want KDE you can wait about a month for the Mandriva 2009.1 release.

Nightstalker

Disciple
Feb 3, 2009
shake runs on linux too, i dont own a mac to run the other version.

whats the diff between gnome and kde sorry for the newb question.

im just looking to run the software on it i wont be doing anything else in linux, also ive never used linux before just been a windows user so i am looking at something really simple.

Thanks!

techfreak

Adept
Jun 19, 2007
Nightstalker said:
s
whats the diff between gnome and kde sorry for the newb question.

Gnome and KDE are desktop managers. These are the applications that actually give you the graphic interface between you and the Linux operating system. There are other desktop managers out there also... Fluxbox, Xfce, etc. The actual differences between Gnome and KDE are too numerous to list here, but suffice to say that they both do the same things in different ways with different features.
souce:Wiki

Go through this link

KDE and Gnome Comparison

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
Shake is awesome, and although I have not set it up for quite some time (Shake version 3.5 was the last time) it works very well on Linux :) What version of Shake are you using ? I must admit... you had a me worried for a second as I thought it this was going to be another... "which Linux is the best version for newbie's" thread. We have seen so many of these threads and it escapes me that no one bothers to do a search first, because there are a multitude of similar threads. This, however, is a different and legitimate question :p.

The most important thing you need to worry about before getting Shake installed is that you have an opengl driver installed on your system, I would highly suggest that you install the Nvidia driver direct from their web site.

I think that because your primary focus is Shake and not Linux, (Sorry Darkstar) you should install Ubuntu because it has the most support if you need help.

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
Dec 31, 2007
New Delhi
No use installing mint now , its based on ubuntu 8.10 while 9.04 is out already , it will be some time before mint 7 is released