Linux for Newbie

Revolution

Skilled
Hi,
I want to learn Linux.
But,I can't spend too much money on it.
I first want to learn the basic of Linux.
So,I can even use Linux as like as Windows OS in daily life too.
For example installing any linux os in a pc,setup basic network,web browsing,using application like open office,gimp,troubleshoot basic problems etc.
Learning from any institute will be costly and the certificate may not be useful for my career(employment).
Linux is free os but sadly no way to learn it free. :unsure:
Please suggest me the cheapest and easiest way to learn Linux.

No,I did not said word "Free" that way.
I was expecting a institute where I could learn Linux at cheap fees like school college not like private institute here and there.
Though getting chance in ant Govt Institute in India is very tough for me.
For those with high merit not for average guy like me. :(

Thanks u both for ur links.

One more thing.
Can use my Windows PC for Linux without changing anything ?
I mean if I buy a USB Pen and use that for Linux ?
I don't want to mess with my HDD and not to create Virtual machine on my system.

I was expecting a institute where I could learn Linux at cheap fees like school college not like private institute here and there.

One more thing.
I don't want to mess with my HDD and not to create Virtual machine on my system.
Use VirtualBox. :)

One more thing.
yes, just download the live cd maker and make a live usb of the linux of your choice. but live usb version would be a little bit slower.

Using VMWare is the best thing to do. Much better experience than Live versions.
VMPlayer is free to use and it doesn't mess with your existing settings. Just deleting the VMPlayer files created for Linux installation would free up the space in case you choose to do so.
I found VMPlayer very handy to try out various flavors before installing into hard drive.

And regarding learning "The Linux" - well, most of the guys I know are self taught.
If you want to learn more of the CLI stuffs - getting a book would help a lot than googling.
If you want play around with the interface, Gnome or KDE are recommended.

Back